IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Heaven and hell  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heaven and hell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muslim_gal1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2005 at 4:34am

the thing that comes to mind is WHO R WE 2 SAY RIGHT...

SALAAMZ

Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2005 at 11:07am
Early in Judaism, there was no heaven/hell. People followed God's commandments on the basis of them being divine commandments that must be followed, simply because they were from God. Heaven and hell evolved much later, when people began asking "what's the point of doing good?" If I'm not mistaken, one of the first people to begin this philosophy was Job. I assume most of us here know the story of Job (Ayoub), he was wealthy and righteous, but suddenly he lost everything and suffered alot. So he asked why someone should abide by God's laws, and why someone should be righteous if it doesn't pay off [in this life]. Thus the idea of heaven came in to promote doing good deeds. By the time Christianity emerged, the idea of heaven and hell was well established in Judaism, and it became a central part of Christianity, and later on, Islam.
muslim_gal1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muslim_gal1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2005 at 7:31pm
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2005 at 10:17pm
i thought they believe in Adam & Eve, so of course heaven & hell. hemm... that's new to me..
Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 10:42pm
Yes, they believed in Adam and Eve being expelled from the Garden of Eden. But heaven and hell as an afterlife is an idea that evolved.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 11:25pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Deus This section is entitled Discussions--Basics of Islam, if you wish to discuss Heaven and hell from an interfaith perspective please do so in the relavent section. You are not simply offering an alternate perspective which i may have overlooked, but stating it as the all encompasing answer which it is not and clearly wrong Islamicly.

Prior to the advent of Islam people were judged according to the message they recieved from there perspective prophets, if no message reached a particular person then allah will test him on the day of judgment to see if he would have followed Allahs religion had he heard it on earth.

It is the same now except that Islam is for all humanity not just a group of people, so no religion other than islam is accepted even if it originated from a prophet of Allah, like Jesus or moses. No other religion has been preserved otherwise there would be no need to send a final messenger.

If an indavidual has not had a chance to hear about islam and make a sound and concioues judgment then Allah will test them on the day of judgment to see if they would have followed him in this life.

Heaven is for those who follow Allah's religion, you will not see pagans and mushriks in heaven. Having said that Allah has said the only sin he will not forgive is polythiesm, believing in other gods besides him, so what this means is that you will see people who believed in other religions besides Islam in Heaven eventualy after they have been punished for not accpting Islam in this life as long as they believed in the one True god and no other beside him.

Jews, some christians, bahai, sikhs...the list goes on there are many religions who believe in the one true God, Allah, but not necaseraly Islam.

Heaven and hell was not a "development" in ideas, Adam was in Heaven beffore being brought to earth.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Fanaofallah perhaps saying:

>>>we can only have a good opinion that muslims will go to heaven and sinners and non believers will go to hell!<<<<

Perhaps its best saying God knows (Allahu Alim)! Even in the last moment of a disbeliever God then can show mercy.

I have looked into this a lot more because I got some different answers and I really want to reply to you brother because I was most confused by what you wrote. Here's why:

Do you mean that a disbeliever can enter jennah? If this is what you meant than I am pretty sure that is not right. Allahu Alim yes, of course, but He has already made it abudently clear that He will not forgive those that commit shirk and the disbelievers. They will be in hell for all eternity. This is a warning for us that whomever seeks the right path and follows the command of Allah (swt) will be rewarded. The disbelievers will be the losers. I am just sort of going of memory what I have read in the Qur'an but I can find many ayats that say this or similar things.

I think you might be sending the wrong message to non-muslims. If they think that it doesn't make a differece what you believe because no one knows what will happen on the day of judgement, than making dawah is kinda pointless. It's hard for us to think of people going to hell, but many people will. It's already been told to us and we have to believe what Allah (swt) tells us. If it doesn't make a difference than why should anyone become a muslim?

Don't get me wrong. I hope everyone goes to jennah and as the day a judgement approachs mankind will enter the religion of Allah (swt) in masses (this is also in the Qur'an), but not everyone will.

Those that reject Allah (swt) and his message (those that never heard of islam or were unable to learn about for reasons beyond ones control will not be held accountable) will never enter jennah.

hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 10:52pm

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Heaven is for those who follow Allah's religion,

you will see people who believed in other religions besides Islam in Heaven

as long as they believed in the one True god and no other beside him.

Jews, some christians, bahai, sikhs...the list goes on there are many religions who believe in the one true God, Allah, but not necaseraly Islam.

Asalaamu Alaykum thank for replying brother. Please don't take this the wrong way but  am having trouble understanding what you are saying. I am pretty sure it's not right. I mean it doesn't even sound right. The problem that I am having is this:

You are making the arguement that because they say they believe in 1 god than they can be forgiven. But the fact that we say there is no god but Allah (swt) kinda makes that null. They are worshiping a god other than Allah (swt) associating partners with the one true God , by definition, shirk.

I mean just because someone says they believe in 1 god it doesn't mean much if they don't believe in shahadaa. If you decide to worship one god but you reject what muslims believe than you are not accepting Allah's (swt) authority or accepting Him as God. You aren't worshiping Him. That's why muslims take shahdaa before they can become muslim. It the fundamental aspect of what makes us muslim and worship Allah (swt) .

I don't know which 1 god all of the jews christians and hindus are worshipping but it certainly isn't Allah (swt). When you believe in God you accept and do what He tells you. Jews and Christians and all other religions aren't doing that since they have rejected his prophets and do not follow the Qu'ran and sunnah. These are commanded by God for us to follow . So I don' t know which god they have in mind when they are worshipping but it certainly isn't Allah (swt) and since we know la ilaha ill allah-there is no god but Allah (swt) then it doesn't mean much just to say that you worship 1 god if you are not a muslim because if you aren't a muslim it means you are worshiping a god other than Allah (swt) and none exist save Allah (swt). 

These other religions, by definition, do not  worship Allah (swt). If they did really worship Allah (swt), they'd have to also accept Muhammad (pbuh).
if A=B, and B=C, then A=C.

Edited by hope
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic