IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muhammad as a partner with Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muhammad as a partner with Allah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 3:08pm

Originally posted by xx__Ace__xx xx__Ace__xx wrote:

The words of Muhammad SAW are the words of Allah. The actions of Muhammad SAW are nothing but guidance from Allah. I don't see how its not Allah that we're considering as the Almighty then.

If Muhammad's words and his actions are both from Allah, then what else is there?  In other words, what is there about Muhammad that is just Muhammad?  And if everything about Muhammad is divine, then I find it hard to distinguish the Muslim regard for Muhammad from the Christian regard for Jesus, i.e. "the Word made flesh".

In past discussion it really seemed to come down to little more than the name of the person to whom you address your prayers: Christians will often pray "in Jesus' name", while Muslims always pray directly to Allah.  But it seems a small difference to me, a mere matter of semantics.

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
xx__Ace__xx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xx__Ace__xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

If Muhammad's words and his actions are both from Allah, then what else is there?  In other words, what is there about Muhammad that is just Muhammad?

What is there about Muhammad SAW that is just him you ask? If he's passing on God's message in the first place, what should be even there 'about him' in between? Nothing. He's the messenger, and that's what's about him which is him.

And if everything about Muhammad is divine, then I find it hard to distinguish the Muslim regard for Muhammad from the Christian regard for Jesus, i.e. "the Word made flesh".

Again, I see you're mixing up with words here. Big time. "If everything about Muhammad is divine", might as well scratch the if cuz its not. Nothing about Muhammad [SAW] is divine, its the message he passed on that is. Makes a mighty massive difference. I'll tell ya how. Christians claim Jesus [SA] as God, muslims don't claim Muhammad [SAW] as one, and I'm not sure if I have a need to tell you that. There ya go. Now don't go on telling me "its hard to distinguish."

In past discussion it really seemed to come down to little more than the name of the person to whom you address your prayers: Christians will often pray "in Jesus' name", while Muslims always pray directly to Allah.  But it seems a small difference to me, a mere matter of semantics.

I didn't read through the thread since its pretty long, but yeah, its about whom we address in prayers. Christians supposedly address Jesus, who is a God according to them. We only address God as well. It doesn't make a difference in this issue because regardless of the true God, the idea in both cases is to address the prayer to God. You're bringing this similarity up, but it has nothing at all to do with Muhammad [SAW] in anyway being considered a partner of some sort to Allah. The very basic idea of Islam is one God, and only he is who we worship. If we regard Muhammad SAW highly and respectfully as a messenger of the Almighty, it no way means we regard him anything above a human being and hence there's no worshipping of Muhammad [SAW] anywhere in Islam.

Edited by xx__Ace__xx - 12 June 2010 at 4:04pm
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 6:52am

Again, I see you're mixing up with words here. Big time. "If everything about Muhammad is divine", might as well scratch the if cuz its not. Nothing about Muhammad [SAW] is divine, its the message he passed on that is. Makes a mighty massive difference.

How can you say that "nothing about Muhammad is divine", after just having told me that his words are from Allah, and his actions are guidance from Allah?  Are not the words and the guidance of Allah divine?  Doesn't that make Muhammad's words and actions divine?

Many Muslims have told me that everything Muhammad ever said or did was guided by Allah (which is why they consider him to be infallible).  Others have said no, only certain words and actions which scholars have determined to be relevant to Islam, while others are not.  What do you think?

If we regard Muhammad SAW highly and respectfully as a messenger of the Almighty, it no way means we regard him anything above a human being and hence there's no worshipping of Muhammad [SAW] anywhere in Islam.

That depends on how you define "worship", and you haven't done that yet.

Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 12:31pm
I know I'm kinda jumping in late in this thread but I'm curious to ask whether being divine necessarily makes you co-equal to God.
xx__Ace__xx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xx__Ace__xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 12:32pm

How can you say that "nothing about Muhammad is divine", after just having told me that his words are from Allah, and his actions are guidance from Allah?  Are not the words and the guidance of Allah divine?  Doesn't that make Muhammad's words and actions divine?

If you read that particular part carefully, what I tried to imply was, its not him that is above a human being, or him that has anything to do with having any sort of supernatural power, but what's divine here is the message of God he passed on. ["its the message he passed on that is"]
As for his actions, let me give you an example, we muslims have a specific method of praying which is compromised of certain procedures, how do you think that was demonstrated? From Muhammad [SAW]. Now that involves divinity, cuz he taught the muslims of that time the way of praying instructed by God. That's one type of action.
Now, there are also actions of his which we call 'Sunnah'. They can roughly be described as the ways of the lifestyle of Prophet SAW. Common and simplest examples include not lying, treating everyone with respect and a smile, being kind, and etc etc. These actions are not as obligatory as God's direct words, but God himself highly encourages muslims in the Quran to try and follow them. Now if we follow the Sunnah, does that mean we treat Muhammad [SAW] as some sort of higher being? No, it simply means we're following what God made a role model for us, and that's definitely not worshipping him.

Many Muslims have told me that everything Muhammad ever said or did was guided by Allah (which is why they consider him to be infallible).  Others have said no, only certain words and actions which scholars have determined to be relevant to Islam, while others are not.  What do you think?

Simply put, all actions and sayings of his (which are perfectly confirmed were said by him), are believed to be infallible, if you put it so, because they were nothing but guidance from God himself, through the Prophet SAW of course.

That depends on how you define "worship", and you haven't done that yet.

Well, I thought I'd cleared it for you, but nevermind I'll put it in clearer wordings. It might require a pretty lot of details to get specific, but I'll try to be as brief as possible. Commonly, worshipping is a ritualistic act such as prayers, adressed directly to God, fasting, charity, etc etc, which too are done for no one but God.
Now additionally, there's something really beautiful and unique to Islam. Comprehensively, you can also definie worship as any activity of a muslim done for God. In other words, worship is everything one says and does for the pleasure of God. This, of course, includes rituals as well as beliefs, social activities and personal contirbutions to the welfare of one's fellow human beings. Islam looks at the individual as whole, and every muslim, with none for an exception, is to submit himself/herself completely to God, which includes even the Prophet [SAW] (helps towards your basic question as well) as instructed by the Quran itself he passed on;

"Say (O Muhammad) my prayer, my sacrifice, my life and my death belong to Allah; He has no partner and I am ordered to be among those who submit, i.e.; Muslims." (6:162, 163)

I'll paste something from a source I found which described this in a lovely way, (saves me time too Tongue);
The natural result of this submission is that all one's activities should conform to the instructions of the one to whom the person is submitting. Islam, being a way of life, requires that its followers model their life according to its teachings in every aspect, religious or other wise. This might sound strange to some people who think of religion as a personal relation between the individual and God, having no impact on one's activities outside rituals. As a matter of fact Islam does not think much of mere rituals when they are performed mechanically and have no influence on one's inner life.

To help make it even clearer for you, have a read of some of what the Prophet [SAW] said,

"Whoever finds himself at the nightfall tired of his work, God will forgive his sins."

Seeking knowledge is one of the highest types of worship. The Prophet told his companions that "seeking knowledge is a (religious) duty on every Muslim." In another saying he said:
"Seeking knowledge for one hour is better than praying for seventy years."

Social courtesy and cooperation are part of worship when done for the sake of Allah as the Prophet told us:

"Receiving your friend with a smile is a type of charity, helping a person to load his animal is a charity and putting some water in your neighbor's bucket is a charity."

A further little from the very same source : "It is worth noting that even performing one's duties is considered a sort of worship. The Prophet told us that whatever one spends for his family is a type of charity; he will be rewarded for it if he acquires it through legal means. Kindness to members of one's family is an act of worship as when one puts a piece of food in his spouse's mouth. Not only this but even the acts we enjoy doing very much, when they are performed according to the instructions of the Prophet, are considered as acts of worship. The Prophet told his companions that they will be rewarded even for having sexual intercourse with their wives. The companions were astonished and asked: "How are we going to be rewarded for doing something we enjoy very much?" The Prophet asked them: "Suppose you satisfy your desires illegally; don't you think that you will be punished for that?" They replied, "Yes." "So," he said, "by satisfying it legally with your wives you are rewarded for it." This means they are acts of worship. Thus Islam does not consider sex a dirty thing that one should avoid. It is dirty and sinful only when it is satisfied outside marital life."

Now, I'm sure you've gotten the basic idea of what worship in Islam really is, i.e. generally speaking
a comprehensive concept that includes all the positive activities of the individual. If while performing the positive acts you tell yourself you're not only doing this for your/ your family's/ society's/ environement's welfare but also to please God, then you're actually worshipping God and attaining blessings!

Moving back to Prophet SAW's actions, Sunnah, when you follow them,  you're namely following the Prohet SAW,  but in reality worshipping no one but God, as God himself highly encourages us to follow the positive actions of our role model and messenger.

Hope I was able to to increase your clearance on this matter. And I can't believe I've actually written a wall of text. I rarely do Tongue

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

I know I'm kinda jumping in late in this thread but I'm curious to ask whether being divine necessarily makes you co-equal to God.

No, not co-equal; but as I said earlier, a junior partner is still a partner.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 7:19pm

If you read that particular part carefully, what I tried to imply was, its not him that is above a human being, or him that has anything to do with having any sort of supernatural power, but what's divine here is the message of God he passed on. ["its the message he passed on that is"]
And by "the message" do you mean only the Quran, or do you mean everything he ever said or did?

Quote Now, there are also actions of his which we call 'Sunnah'. They can roughly be described as the ways of the lifestyle of Prophet SAW. Common and simplest examples include not lying, treating everyone with respect and a smile, being kind, and etc etc. These actions are not as obligatory as God's direct words, but God himself highly encourages muslims in the Quran to try and follow them. Now if we follow the Sunnah, does that mean we treat Muhammad [SAW] as some sort of higher being? No, it simply means we're following what God made a role model for us, and that's definitely not worshipping him.
I'm not sure what "not as obligatory as" means -- either they are obligatory or they are not -- but if you are saying that the sunnah (and the hadith?) are optional, then that would be refreshing.  It would only be a small step from there to consider that optional recommendations become less and les applicable as the centuries and millennia pile up, and that ultimately only the Quran would remain as a universal and eternal law.

But I really doubt that many Muslims would agree with that. Smile

Quote Simply put, all actions and sayings of his (which are perfectly confirmed were said by him), are believed to be infallible, if you put it so, because they were nothing but guidance from God himself, through the Prophet SAW of course.

If that's so, then as I keep asking, what's left?  If everything he ever said or did is from Allah, if he never said or did anything in his entire life that wasn't directed by Allah, then he is far less than a man.  He is a mere automaton, a puppet controlled by a higher power.  Do you really believe that?  Surely he said and did at least some things on his own.

Quote Well, I thought I'd cleared it for you, but nevermind I'll put it in clearer wordings. It might require a pretty lot of details to get specific, but I'll try to be as brief as possible. Commonly, worshipping is a ritualistic act such as prayers, adressed directly to God, fasting, charity, etc etc, which too are done for no one but God.

When someone asks you to do something, and you do it, isn't it reasonable to assume that you are doing it for the one who asks?  Allah asks you (in the Quran) to fast, and therefore I assume you are doing it for Him; but then if Muhammad tells you how to fast, that would imply that you are fasting in that particular way for Muhammad.

I guess if you truly believe that absolutely everything Muhammad said and did was a message from God, then following the sunnah is worshipping God.  It just seems to me that that is a very demeaning view of Muahmmad, making him utterly without free will or any ideas of his own.

Edited by Ron Webb - 14 June 2010 at 7:21pm
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 7:44pm
Ron Webb's original post is in lack

Muslims claim they do not treat Muhammad as a partner to Allah, but I've never been able to reconcile that claim with their actual doctrine or practice.  Clearly, Muhammad occupies a central place in Islam, unlike any other human, but in many ways similar to Allah.

Please NO assuming! that is not true!

To be sure, Muslims will acknowledge that Muhammad is subordinate to Allah,

No semantics ...it is unequivocal servant/slave: master relationship. Period

but the sin of shirk does not stipulate equal partnership, and it seems to me that a junior partner is still a partner.

You are adding this Juniority that is not there there is no such thing. There is no #2 positions. Period

Consider the following: Muhammad is treated with a degree of reverence that for all intents and purposes is indistinguishable from that for Allah Himself.

Again False assumption! There is totem pole of reverence that goes for seniors , teachers of true knowledge , father, mother, prophets and off course Mhmd(s) and all of these circles are distinguishable for a thinking individual!  

To insult the Prophet is to commit blasphemy.

That has been the case with previously nations who were sent prophets..nothing unique...if you want be spoon fed please say so!

Muslim prayers, though not directly addressed to the Prophet, mention him frequently.

Again you are clueless about the details the prayer...Have it below for your edification!

He is considered infallible in matters of doctrine.

This is pointless  cuz the basic doctrine pillars that I have listed below!

He is given no room in worship elements of the Almighty cuz he was to do that exactly himself first and last. He led the prayers and was led by Abu Bakr(r) when on final leg of his earthly abode. That every one here must contemplate upon.Period

In fact, his statements and his actions are doctrine: the hadith and sunna sit on your bookshelf alongside the Quran, and are considered similarly authoritative.

Non sequitur ... The real shelf is the heart that has degrees assigned who gets where and the mention of shelf made me laugh so hard and then feel sorry for your state of mind! As a matter of fact who keep these books on shelf and not in their hearts may have problem!

So my question is this: how would your beliefs or your behaviour be different if Muhammad actually were a partner to Allah?  How can I tell that you are not committing shirk?
It is the dumbest question to ask about a messenger whose life was recorded in such minute details including his personal to the state administration, studied and recorded in the daylight of the history and now you want to be hijacked just like that!
You are hypothesizing to see him as partner with Allah! It is beyond insanity to even suggest such a proposition not that such things are unheard of in your domicile but the most Muslims are NOT in that  sphere...And then throw in shirk thing...

All I can say you are quite a creative dude in twisting doctrine around for the ignorant about the state of affair of religion in the west...It is fine to kid around but being serious is a matter for another day!

Making gods of someone who were born of a woman happens in a world where mammon is worshiped!

It is time to pull the curtain on this masquerade!

Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

No, not co-equal; but as I said earlier, a junior partner is still a partner.

I am flabbergasted that this thread is still running! Ron's tenacity in keep saying Mhmd(s) being Allah's partner goes to tell it is something to do with your sign of cancer cuz I know few of them and their's " my way or highway attitude".

After all I can say is 'the picture speaks a thousand words'.
Look at the practice that counts the rest  gets no where fast but in trouble... Instead of going in circles of verbosity better see what is in practice to be a Muslim!

5 Basic Mandatory Pillars of Islamic worship
that a well versed Muslim, not self styled or secular would practice absolutely unless exempted by the extenuating circumstances...Examine what role  Muhammad(s) fits in each of these practices...

1. Kalima(The declaration of being a Muslim i.e,. I bear witness there is no God but Allah and I bear witness Mhmd(s) is His servant/slave and His messenger.(NO PARTNER)

2. Salat(Prayers X5xdays) http://www.howdoipray.com/howdoipray/Home/
the animation for the Salat as proof
Throughout the worshiper is extolling the greatness and praising Allah alone and close to the end Mhmd(s) is recognized being his servant/slave and a messenger and is supplicated for doing so, also including patriarch prophet Abraham(s) as reference too...
There is crystal clear demarcation who is is being worshiped and the supplication being about the men of god!

You need to see what it is not you want it to be!
 This an daily oath that Muslim must understand and not monkey with it cuz the penalty they are already suffering in their bondage of neo colonialism at the moment!
They forgot what it meant to the delight of the secular forces...

I may agree out of sheer ignorance with time some just didn't know what was what, may have done some things not by the spec sheet!
The oath for an office that has to be read and understood exactly unlike Obama/Roberts inaugural fiasco!

3. Zakat(The offering for needy/poor )
A buck from each forty bucks saved up over a period of one year and above & beyond living expenses! (An yearly thing)
You are exempt if don't have anything saved

4.Fasting(Totally an individual effort in self discipline): Dawn to dusk abstaining from all foods and physical pleasures in the lunar month of Ramadan yearly for the healthy adult individuals!
You can feed the poor people if you are sick, disabled aged with a an ailment .
 There are no gestures in reference to Mhmd(s) other than supplications...It is totally personal act!

5. Hajj (the Pilgrimage)Once in a life time...
It is tracing of Abrahamic footsteps(that he took in the wilderness of the Holy lands to prove what was in his heart that more important?
The love of his only son or the his being slave/Prophet to deliver God's message!
Again you are exempt if you don't have the savings for travel expenses!

The servant/slave is not a partner anywhere in the world we live in. Period
This as simple as the absolute basics!
 Anyone deviating does on his/her own peril!
Next question?

Edited by Sign*Reader - 15 June 2010 at 9:44pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
  Share Topic