IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam and ethics  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and ethics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and ethics
    Posted: 17 July 2005 at 2:20pm

One of the sisters here said:

I always talk about death to my children and tell them to get as many rewards as possible because you never know when you will go.

However true this may be it is important to note that good deeds that are acted out must also be sincere. There is a thing called "necessary good." Necessary good also falls under sincere good as well. When we do good things not only is it for the pleasure of Allah it is also necessary to do those good deeds because they can also be "contagious" because the "receivee" who received the good deed(s) might mimic those deeds to another. We as Muslims must be careful with how we go abouty doing good deeds. The "collection of deeds" is not a game as Allah will judge us on our sincerity. How can we be judged accordingly if we only do things for the sole pleasure of Allah and not along be sincere about them? I implore my brethren to not only keep God in mind when they do good deeds but please be sincere about those good deeds.

Edited by Israfil
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 8:49pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

One of the sisters here said:

I always talk about death to my children and tell them to get as many rewards as possible because you never know when you will go.

However true this may be it is important to note that good deeds that are acted out must also be sincere. There is a thing called "necessary good." Necessary good also falls under sincere good as well. When we do good things not only is it for the pleasure of Allah it is also necessary to do those good deeds because they can also be "contagious" because the "receivee" who received the good deed(s) might mimic those deeds to another. We as Muslims must be careful with how we go abouty doing good deeds. The "collection of deeds" is not a game as Allah will judge us on our sincerity. How can we be judged accordingly if we only do things for the sole pleasure of Allah and not along be sincere about them? I implore my brethren to not only keep God in mind when they do good deeds but please be sincere about those good deeds.

One cannot seek good pleasure of allah without sincerity. Allah is not only watching, he is knower and seer and listner of that which is hidden as well. The intentions of the hearts and the aims behind those intensions are not secret from allah. Thus there is no good pleasure of allah except thru sincerity - in words, actions, and thoughts.

I dont know how to disconnect the two and deal them separately.

Someone has said:

"whenever someone concentrates his attention on this world, he is sure to be hostile to most of his fellow creatures. By contrast, if someone keeps his attention focused on the service of Allah, he will not be hostile to anyone. The reason is that he views creatures (Khalq) from the standpoint of truth, so he sees each one as a prisoner in the grasp of divine decree and destiny, and he is therefore hostile to noone."

And He has recinciled their hearts.

If you had spent all that is in the earth,

you could not have reconciled their hearts,

but Allah has reconciled them (8:63)

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 9:52pm

However true this may be it is important to note that good deeds that are acted out must also be sincere.

I don't know. I thought good deeds acted purely out of fear of Allah are as sincere as good deeds can be. Though, pretending to be charitable, when the intent is only to further one's own selfish interest, I consider to be insincere in doing "good deeds".

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 1:30am
If any deed is not sincere or if it doesn�t flow from our within then it�s not a good deed. Then it�s just a bit of a spin for a few Browny points from one human or the other. Or, at best, a mere feel good score.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 4:11am

Assalamu alaikum,

It is vitally important that we instil in our children a deep love for Allah.  Teaching them to do good deeds is necessary, but, teaching them to do them because they love Allah so much and want to please Him is better.

We can quote Qur'an and ahadith endlessly to our kids.  We can tell them they must behave in such a manner because they are Muslims or because we (as parents) say so.  But, unless they have that love for Allah in their hearts, they will always question why they must behave in such and such a manner.  When that love is there, they will behave in such and such a way because they want to, to please Allah.

Making kids behave because society says it must be this way, or because parents say it must be this way, or even because Allah says it must be this way, is not enough.  The love for Allah must be there in order for them to want to behave in a manner pleasing to Him.

It always breaks my heart to see people who were born Muslims but don't follow Islam.  I think this is because their parents failed to instil a love for Allah in the hearts of their children.  Anyone who grows up loving Allah will want to please Him and, therefore, would strive always to be a good Muslim.

I may have just repeated what everyone who posted here already said, sorry.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 8:08pm

Bismillah

How can we be judged accordingly if we only do things for the sole pleasure of Allah and not along be sincere about them?

Once you are doing something for the sole pleasure of Allah it is indeed difficult to disconnect it, as sister Nausheen rightly suggested, from sincerity.

Pretense in charity, or intending to show off, is already far from doing it for "the sole pleasure of Allah".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what sister has mentioned. She encourages her children to try and gain more rewards... and more rewards can be achieved in different ways... doing good, avoiding and abstaining from evil. Sincerity is essential, but nowhere did sister point out its unimportance. It is so basic and clear that more often it does not need additional emphasis.

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 8:18pm

MOCKBA point well taken. I guess my stance was the purely analytical one when I hear people say, "Do good deeds to gain the reward of Allah." Which of course is indeed a commandement as aMuslim this is true in every respect. But, what I meant here is that there is good deeds for God and there are necessary good deeds. Sister Nausheen correctly mentions there is no seperation. But let us take into consideration that isn't possible for one to only do something for the sole pleasure of rewards and not out of necessity? For example not only is it pleasurable in the sight of God, but its necessary to help someone up when they fall. The necessity in that is, if the person fell would if they broke a leg or hip? Do we do things because it pleases God and we "know" we'll get rewarded or we do it because it is necessary and it please Allah?

The essence of Allah's command is to do good as goodness is the oreservative of life and shun evil as it is the opposite. We must take into consideration the necessity of doing good and it sustains or world.

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 9:03pm

Bismillah

Doing a good deed - is pleasing Allah. Therefore, whenever we help someone when they fall, or whenever we remove something obstructive from the road, or whenever we greet someone with a smile - it pleases Allah, provided that we always acknowledge His Lordship above evrything and anyone esle.

When one begins to separate good deeds as some done for the sole pleasure of rewards from Allah and some done out of mere necessity... it indicates that he has misunderstood the teachings of Islam.

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic