IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Harry Potter  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Potter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 1:24pm

Bismillah,

My kids and I have read these books together.  We enjoyed them.  We discuss movies and books that we see and read together to understand what is Islaamic and what is not. 

I'm more concerned that they enjoy watching Bad Boys the cop show with their dad when I'm not around, and other such junk.

There is a difficulty that I tried to correct with my kids teachers which is they get necessary credit for reading books like Harry Potter, but not the Quran or even Islaamic story books, of which we only have  a couple. 

In fact, the "AR - accelerated reader" list is limited and excludes many books.  So if a book is not on the list with a specific number of points and the year in school reading level it is appropriate for, then no credit is given.  Now, this varies in different schools, and hopefully I will be transferring my kids to a school system which doesn't follow this format so that we have a little more freedom in choosing their reading.

Kids like to get better grades for their reading efforts.  And I like the Harry Potter series myself.  I like fantasy books like this, and I read them with or before my kids read them so that we can discuss things in them.  Most kids don't consider the magic and sorcery as real or if they do, my kids know that magic is forbidden in Islaam.

We especially need to watch out for the playstation and gamebox and gamecube and ds2 et cetera games that are available at our kids friends' homes.  You won't often find kids gathered around a book trying to figure out sorcery, but you will hear them talking about that cool new game at Pete's house!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 6:22pm

Bismillah

Salamu'alaikum Herjihad,

Of some fiction, i recommend you and your kids "The Little Prince" by Antoine De Saint-Exupery... if you haven't read it yet.

MOCKBA
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 10:03am

Bismillah,

Alaykum Assalam.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Here is a link I found.

http://www.spiritual.com.au/articles/prince/prince_contents. htm

Is this the orignial story?

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 12:37am

Bismillah

That's the one, Sister. It may look like a book for kids, but years later as the kids grow up they read it differently.

MOCKBA
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 1:17am
Originally posted by MOCKBA MOCKBA wrote:

Bismillah

Salamu'alaikum Herjihad,

Of some fiction, i recommend you and your kids "The Little Prince" by Antoine De Saint-Exupery... if you haven't read it yet.

Heh - I'm trying to read this at the moment. In POrtuguese.  

Kim...
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 5:53am

Bismillah,

I read it on the Internet yesterday.  It is like a long poem with a lot of hidden meaning.  I always like it better when the author writes something to explain her meaning behind something.  To understand this book, I would have to have the author explain it, have a commentator who has studied about the author's life explain it, or study the matter in depth myself.  I will not take the time currently for the latter, although I may contemplate it from time to time because it had some intriguing ideas to consider.

My children might be intrigued by this also.  We are very busy right now, but when we settle down, I will get a hard copy, ISA, and see what they think of it. 

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 7:00am

Bismillah

The simplest thing, apart from many, that the book points at - is the purpose of life. There are indeed many hidden meanings, as it is clearly indicated right in the first chapter... but each kid will grow up to discover his/ her own (it is not completely necesary to try and explain them the hidden meaning that we found)... and it is important that we assit them in understanding what it means to be a Muslim in the context of explaining the purpose of life. 

MOCKBA
Amina16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amina16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2005 at 9:36pm

So ur saying reading Harry Potter is Haraam.  I read them but i don't believe in magic and sorcery.  I just read it for fun.  Its not like i replaced Harry Potter with the Quran and Hadith.  I still read those every day more than Harry potter( i only read each book 1s)

"Words have Power" ex: The Quran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic