IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Harry Potter  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Potter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harry Potter
    Posted: 16 July 2005 at 3:54pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Ah, yet another Harry Potter book hits the bookshelves and children by the millions are scrambling to get their copies.

Wouldn't it be incredible if children would get that excited over the Qur'an instead of a series of books about sorcery and witchcraft?

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 9:40pm

Bismillah

Wa'alaikumu Salaam Sister,

Good point. Perhaps it is due to little attention given by Muslims(except vey few) in developing books and materials for children that could facilitate the Message of the Quran and help them percieve God's Creation.

Today's kids are excited with the powers of Spiderman, they deduct their idea of the Last Hour from science fistion the like of Armageddon, they aspire to seat in the Council of Jedis, they are assisted in confusing their orientation through Teletubbies and Barny... and as far as Islam is concerned  - it is all about explosions, fire, tears, black smoke, prohibition, anger and punishment. They want to live in maginary world, the world that does not reflect the reality.     

It is indeed alarming what fruits will be reaped from the seeds we plant today.

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 5:41am

I don't think you guys will never get it

Anybody think there's something wrong with having some magic and mystery and fun in their lives  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 6:49am

Dear Angel,

I don't think you will ever get it either .

There is nothing wrong with fun, or even a bit of fantasy or mystery.  But, sorcery and magic are evil and forbidden by Allah.  Letting children (who are too young to understand the true concepts of good and evil) read fun, exciting books that glorify sorcery and magic is not good for them. 

Harry Potter and friends, by what I understand from reviews, use magic and sorcery to fight evil.  Fighting evil is a good thing.  Fighting evil with evil makes no sense.

Fun in our lives? - absolutely!  Magic and sorcery? - no way.

Peace, ummziba.

kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 7:09am

It's just a book.

Besides - kids need to learn to enjoy their imaginations and the supernatural - how else can they learn to love religion?

Kim...

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 11:48am

Ah, yes - it's just a book.

Books are full of ideas.  This makes them extremely versatile.  They can open minds to an endless possibility of ideas.  They can inspire, repulse, teach, influence, titilate, encourage, discourage, remind, enrapture, ...

For all the above reasons, books are wonderful for adults.

For all the above reasons, they can shape the minds of children.  Because of this, responsible parents need to be aware of the influence books can have on young minds.

As a work of fantasy, Harry Potter, can be harmless.  For Muslim parents trying to instill Islamic values in their children, this book can make something Allah considers evil (sorcery and magic) seem like all fun and games.  Therein lies the pitfall for which parents need to be aware.

Imagination is a big part of childhood but I would argue it is not a part of learning to love religion.  Learning to love religion, more precisely, learning to love Allah, is strictly reality.

Just as we would never allow our children unlimited access to the internet or television with out good guidance - so should we offer guidance about what they read.

Peace, ummziba.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Harry Potter and friends, by what I understand from reviews, use magic and sorcery to fight evil.  Fighting evil is a good thing.  Fighting evil with evil makes no sense.

Ah, so you haven't read the books ? therefore you do not know what it is about ? right?

Then I'll advice you to read, then you'll find out that the characters do fight evil, and are also taught not to use magic/spells they do not know or understand as there are consequences to deal with, not just small but big consequences. 

I think it mirrors life somewhat with how kids are, and with how responsible adults are teaching what is right and proper, being responsible.

But it is fiction and it is a fun book.

Read the book if you haven't.

You know there is no Harry Potter, no hogwarts school, no platform 9 and three quarters, no magic as in the book, no Hermione, no Ron and no Professor Dumbledore and No owls delievering you mail. And the problem with that is ??

If you know what is fiction and what is fact/truth is it really trangressing the limits ??

I'm yet to see that kinda of magic in the book happen in real life!

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Ah, yes - it's just a book.

Books are full of ideas.  This makes them extremely versatile.  They can open minds to an endless possibility of ideas.  They can inspire, repulse, teach, influence, titilate, encourage, discourage, remind, enrapture, ...

For all the above reasons, books are wonderful for adults.

For all the above reasons, they can shape the minds of children.  Because of this, responsible parents need to be aware of the influence books can have on young minds.

As a work of fantasy, Harry Potter, can be harmless.  For Muslim parents trying to instill Islamic values in their children, this book can make something Allah considers evil (sorcery and magic) seem like all fun and games.  Therein lies the pitfall for which parents need to be aware.

Imagination is a big part of childhood but I would argue it is not a part of learning to love religion.  Learning to love religion, more precisely, learning to love Allah, is strictly reality.

I agree with your post.

Might I add, also with holy scriptures and books

Quote Just as we would never allow our children unlimited access to the internet or television with out good guidance - so should we offer guidance about what they read.

Peace, ummziba.

exactly!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic