IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 12 years old Muslim girl, admitted to study at UNH  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 years old Muslim girl, admitted to study at UNH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 years old Muslim girl, admitted to study at UNH
    Posted: 29 July 2009 at 1:25pm

Girl, 12, admitted to study at UNH
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/05/24/news/a1gifted.txt

By Mary E. O'Leary, Register Topics Editor

WEST HAVEN � In many ways, Maeda Hanafi is a typical kid.

She likes to ride her bicycle, inline skate and play with friends, as well as with other youngsters who attend Masjid Al-Islam, her family's mosque in New Haven.

But while most 12-year-olds are just completing seventh-grade, Maeda already has earned 15 college credits and will be a full-time student at the University of New Haven in the fall.

"I have lots of friends of different ages," Maeda said of her stint this year
at Gateway Community College in North Haven, where she was on the dean's list, completing courses in physics, pre-calculus, calculus and computer programming.

The oldest child of Anna and Imam Hanafi, Maeda, and her three siblings, Aisya, 5, Idris, 10, and Adam, 11, are all home-schooled.

She did attend Forest Elementary School through second grade, but found she was bored. Five years later, with her parents as her teachers, Maeda had advanced enough to win a $12,000 merit scholarship to UNH.

Both parents have math and science backgrounds � Imam Hanafi has marine engineering and computer science degrees, while Anna Hanafi was trained as an economist � and felt confident they could offer their children a good education.

"I enjoy home-schooling. When I was in public school, I played too much and I didn't learn that much. When I was home-schooled I was focused," Maeda said.

Anna Hanafi said her husband supplements textbooks with his own knowledge and advanced sources when teaching his children, moving to the next level as they master a topic.

"We planted the seed to love math and science. Math is the language of science," Imam Hafnia said of his approach to education for his children.

"When the kids feel comfortable with a subject, it will be easier for them to understand," Anna added.

Last year, Maeda took home an award from the Connecticut Invention Convention at the University of Connecticut for a pillow she developed. In a category sponsored by Microsoft, the elementary-age students were asked to design something that would improve life for a disabled person.

Maeda said the pillow helps prevent pressure sores for someone who is bedridden.

As she gets ready to attend UNH, Maeda is thinking about another invention. She is not sure what it will be, but it will have something to do with "car engines and making them more efficient."

Her father has some thoughts of his own about an engine run on hydrogen, but Maeda is still thinking this through, although she is certain there will be a "green" component.

The 12-year-old, who is volunteering to run the mosque's Web site over the summer, doesn't know what courses she will be taking this fall, but it will be a full load.

Maeda said she will register over the summer and participate in orientation in August, although she won't be staying overnight with the rest of the freshman class.

Because she was so young this year, Anna Hanafi said Gateway required that she wait in the building at the North Haven campus for her daughter to finish classes each day.

But come September, Maeda will be on her own at UNH's campus, where she will commute from home and major in computer science.

While her parents wanted a more challenging academic environment for Maeda and her siblings, it was not the only reason they opted out of public schools.

"An important goal is to build good moral character. It is a lot easier for a parent to convey this message," Imam Hanafi said.

He said they want to give their children a solid religious foundation, as well as critical-thinking skills.

"We want to make sure the faith that we've been planting gets protected and grows accordingly," said Maeda's mother. She said it is an "endless effort" to ensure that "they become good persons when they grow up."

This has inspired Maeda to help others by volunteering to tutor her friends, particularly in math, but she also does tutoring in Arabic for classmates at the mosque.

Maeda estimates she spends three to four hours a day in formal classes, but her life isn't all work and no play.

"You need time to play. We want them to enjoy their lives," Anna Hanafi said.

She said the family would work its schedule around Maeda's academic year, taking family trips when Maeda was on spring break and over the holidays.

Maeda, who will be 13 at the end of the month, also likes to knit. She said her favorite television program is "Dragonfly" on PBS, where "kids do research and can experiment to prove their own hypothesis."

Asked if she worries about her young daughter spending so much time with older teens, Anna Hafnia said she has been impressed with how Maeda has handled herself at Gateway. With the continuing influence of her family, she prayed she will be fine.

"Maeda has been through this type of life in Gateway Community College and we, as a parents, learn from this lesson," Anna Hanafi said.

Mary E. O'Leary can be reached at  [email protected].

Edited by semar - 29 July 2009 at 1:34pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2009 at 1:33am
Jazakallahu for sharing....I guess I don't need to wonder why this kind of news doesn't get around much.I hope we have more of such positive news....at least for a change...!!!
"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic