IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dating A Muslim  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dating A Muslim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maria78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dating A Muslim
    Posted: 03 June 2009 at 12:47pm
Hi I have a question about dating.Im catholic and the guy im seeing and like is Muslim I have asked questions and he always answers them and its great.The other day I went to move a book in his car and he said I could not touch it why is that?Also if you have any advice on this please share I like him alot and I respect every ones beliefs but I want to make sure I dont offend him. Thank You
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 2:54am
Hi there Maria. . .

I dont know why he said you could not touch that book. You should have asked him why.

What kind of book was it anyway? I am assuming it was the Qur'an. If so, he had no right to ask you to not touch it. Everyone can touch and read the Qur'an - it is not exclusive Muslim Property. He may have a misconception about non-muslims touching the Qur'an.

If it was some other book - well, then its a different story - and well...reasons unknown.

Also dear sister, be careful and make sure that any guy (regardless of faith) who is interested in you - is interested in you for all the right reasons - and intends to honor you in the proper way.

Regards,

PS: stick around! Smile

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
maria78 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maria78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 5:03am
Thank you. I think I might ask him about the book just so I know.I have learned so much from him and this site and other sites that even if it does not work out I will continue to read and learn about the Muslim faith.I always had respect for others beliefs but now its alot more.Also from talking and reading post on here from sisters I now have a new look on Muslim women and respect.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 8:46am
Hi Maria,

i agree you should ask him why he said that.. what book is it...

Chrysalis is right.. people do get confused about the Quran. The Quran is the word of God.. so we have the word of God for a reason to be communicated with!

There are some restrictions regarding Muslims touching it, like if we just have sex and we do not purify ourselves. But as a nonMuslim you are not under the same rules.  The Quran is in libraries and bookstores. If it could not be touched by nonMuslims it would not be there.

Otherwise if it is another book, it may be something personal to him??

I agree do be careful about a relationship with a Muslim. There are rules any Muslim should be following. If a Muslim does not abide by them it is not good.

I am glad you are asking questions. Many women would be happy to help explain things if you ever need assistance. We are a friendly lot.. Smile

Hayfa
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 10:36am
Hi Maria,

Me too, I am catholic and I was on relation with a muslim during 2 years, the best years of my life.

Our relation worked perfect, from begining we accepted each other, and we learned from each other, but the basis of it was the truth. I never lied to him, and he never lied to me, because lying the person you love is like lying yourself.

At begining, it was extrange, because we didn't know anything about the other's culture: he came to Spain just 3 months before we met, from an Arabic country, and I didn't know anything about the daily life of that culture... but everytime I had a question, or something was extrange for me, I asked him, and the same for him, he was asking me about everything he didn't understand.

I suggest you to do the same, to ask him why he didn't want you to touch that book, and everytime you want to know something, ask him, feel free to ask him.

I wish you all the luck of this world, because I didn't have. Really, take care of the relation and don't hide anything from him, be opened to ask him for every need you may have.

And obviously, as Chrysalis said, try to be sure that his real intention is to have a future with you, and not other thing. Don't think that because of his religion he is just looking for stability or deep relations, just be sure that he loves you as person and he deserves your feelings.

If I can help you with my experience, please, don't hesitate to ask me.

Hugs,
Patricia
No God wants the killing, but the peace.
The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
Monia View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 2:15pm
To maria 78, I believe the reason why he didn't want you to touch the "book" which I am assuming is the quran is because if you r not clean, you can't touch the quran. the meaning of clean, I don't mean dirty but if you have your period or if you not bathed from "janaba" which is after you are  intimate and not bathed.
maria78 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maria78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 6:01pm
Thank you everyone we are still together and doing well.I have learned so much and have a greater respect for that.Yes it was the quran that I touched but he has explained more to me so now im aware.This site is great and I hope more people use it to stop ingnorance.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 6:45pm
Salaams Monia,

But those rules do not apply to nonMuslims...

I was a nonMuslim and even the Saudi govt sent me a Quran upon request.. They definitely did not include the Muslim restrictions. Smile

I agree with Pati.. ask him..

And until you become Muslim you are not under the same code.. you can choose to adapt those for personal reasons but you are not forbidden to do things..
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic