IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Response to Apollos  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Response to Apollos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

Luke for example is considered to be a good historian by many scholars.

Which ones? 

William Ramsay, one of the world�s greatest Archaeologists, who was trained in a Liberal university.

Dr. Henry J. Cadbury, a liberal scholar who wrote �Acts as History�.

I. Howard Marshall,, who wrote �Luke, Historian and Theology�.

N.T. Wright, a leading New Testament Scholar.

Gerald O�Collins, Kirsopp Lake, and many Liberal scholars.

This is in addition to Conservative scholars who I believe you discount.

Rubbish. Let us clarify. Acts is historical with regards to the evolution of early Christian thought, and how one group thought, but that does not mean "historical" in terms of accuracy of events. The story is conjured up by a person who as a fan of Paul 30 years after the "Paul" world tour. Apollos, you have the nasty habit of comitting the fallacy of equivication. We must always clarify what "historical" means.

There is a consensus that Paul�s writings were written by Paul and written before 68 AD. Since Luke and Paul corroborate each other and much of what Matthew, Mark, John, and Peter describe, there is great deal one can be confident about from following the consensus where it exists and following good historical scholarship on other areas.
BS! There is no such "consensus" that Pauls writings were written by Paul. In fact, almost half of his supposed letters are considered forgeries by as many scholars who would claim them to be Paul's.

Andalus,

I am not referring to the evolution of Christian thought. I have provided a few names of respected scholars to substantiate my assertion. Would you please do likewise to support your assertions?

BTW - Because the book of Acts is so accurate and detailed concerning literal historical events, archaeologists set out to find evidence of the ship wreck Paul was involved with - and found it. Maybe you heard about this when it was announced in the news.

Apollos

Edited by Apollos - 12 July 2009 at 10:42am
Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 10:27am

Islamispeace,

As you consider the longer post I just replied to, I am still trying to answer the question I posed to you � What if anything do we agree on? If the below is not such an agreement, please ignore and respond to the longer post.

Do you agree that - The initial followers of Jesus, including the Apostles, believed Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected from the dead?

Apollos

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Apollos Apollos wrote:

Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

Luke for example is considered to be a good historian by many scholars.

Which ones? 

William Ramsay, one of the world�s greatest Archaeologists, who was trained in a Liberal university.

Dr. Henry J. Cadbury, a liberal scholar who wrote �Acts as History�.

I. Howard Marshall,, who wrote �Luke, Historian and Theology�.

N.T. Wright, a leading New Testament Scholar.

Gerald O�Collins, Kirsopp Lake, and many Liberal scholars.

This is in addition to Conservative scholars who I believe you discount.

Rubbish. Let us clarify. Acts is historical with regards to the evolution of early Christian thought, and how one group thought, but that does not mean "historical" in terms of accuracy of events. The story is conjured up by a person who as a fan of Paul 30 years after the "Paul" world tour. Apollos, you have the nasty habit of comitting the fallacy of equivication. We must always clarify what "historical" means.

There is a consensus that Paul�s writings were written by Paul and written before 68 AD. Since Luke and Paul corroborate each other and much of what Matthew, Mark, John, and Peter describe, there is great deal one can be confident about from following the consensus where it exists and following good historical scholarship on other areas.
BS! There is no such "consensus" that Pauls writings were written by Paul. In fact, almost half of his supposed letters are considered forgeries by as many scholars who would claim them to be Paul's.

Andalus,

I am not referring to the evolution of Christian thought. I have provided a few names of respected scholars to substantiate my assertion. Would you please do likewise to support your assertions?

We have no idea what the scholars were referring to when using the word "historical". You just "assert" that scholars agree with you and then some handwaving and "presto", or rather "shazam", your assertion is now somehow truth. Gee apollos, I am convinced, see you at church on sunday. That was easy! (not being mean or rude, just trying to make a point with you)

Keep in mind that their views are not clarified (as if I am going to track down each name and pour through their works), and throwing names out at each other turns into "appealing to authority" which is a weak way to form an opinion given the topic is not only controversial, but hotly debated.

BTW - Because the book of Acts is so accurate and detailed concerning literal historical events, archaeologists set out to find evidence of the ship wreck Paul was involved with - and found it. Maybe you heard about this when it was announced in the news.

Apollos

Your comments are a bit of conflated hyperboli. You just crunch a bunch of assertions and opinions together and run with it. Slow down there! You accuse me of parsing your words, but your statements are wreaking with assumptions and non sequiturs.

How about there are some people who may or may not believe Acts is historical, that try to find archeological evidence to go along with the story. There are what you call "liberal Christian" archeologists as well as inerrant Christian archeologists. Right? Does every person who looks into the shipwreck also believe that acts has no internal problems? No problems anywhere? I know of the first person who did put a sensational book out is an inerrant bible believer. Thats one. I know of others who criticised his work. I believe the individual in question just likes to sell sensaitonal books to wishful Christians. Maybe I am wrong.
Finding a ship wreck does not mean that Acts is 100% accurate with Paul, nor does finding a shipwreck explain the problems when you compare acts with the letters we know Paul wrote. One does not mean the other! Someone who is a big fan of Bill Clinton who writes a pro-piece about his life 30 years later will obviously put some major events that occured. They have to. But, the devil is in the details my friend!

But really. The above you wrote is like a forward from Josh McDowell on a latest extraordinary sensational proof of Jesus book.
(come to think of it, Josh McDowell did write something in the book that comes to mind about the ship wreck find). Maybe you know of something else that I have not heard or come across?

I am thinking that the forum is not up on your ship wreck. Why not show your evidence of the ship wreck (there is a chance I am completely in the dark about the topic). Keep in mind that just entertaining this find, still does not prove that Acts is a full proof reliable work. Things simply do not work that way.
Regards

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 8:13pm
Apollos: Though some English translations make it appear that Luke called Quirinius �Governor�, Luke actually refers to him as the �hegemoneuo� or Procurator. There is a big distinction and other records corroborate that Quirinius had done an earlier census for Rome in Syria, he quelled a rebellion for Rome during the time of Luke�s census and he was in deed the one who conducted the census on behalf of Rome as the Procurator. E.g. - Justin Martyr's Apology states that Quirinius was a "procurator", not a governor of the area of Judea. He also addressed a letter to Emperor Antoninus Pius (who reigned from 138 �161) stating that details of the census can be found in the official Roman archives (JMA 1: 34). Though we don�t have those records now, it was clear that they did exist during Justin Martyr�s day.

Edited by islamispeace - 15 July 2009 at 8:10pm
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 8:14pm
Alright!  I give up!  I can't figure out how to paste a response from Word onto the forum!  Anybody have any pointers, because  I am dumbfounded.  Confused
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 8:39pm
Islamispeace,

I am sorry but it is difficult to distinguish your comments from my statements without re-reading the previous posts. (I prefer not to do that).

What is the upshot of our discussion, according to you?

What do you think I am being inconsistent about in my approach to history - which I suppose you think you are consistent on?

Apollos
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Apollos Apollos wrote:

Islamispeace,

I am sorry but it is difficult to distinguish your comments from my statements without re-reading the previous posts. (I prefer not to do that).

What is the upshot of our discussion, according to you?

What do you think I am being inconsistent about in my approach to history - which I suppose you think you are consistent on?

Apollos

Sorry about that, Apollos.  I'll try to figure out how to format it.

I don't think you are being inconsistent per se.  Your methodology is certainly flawed, I think.  For example, when you talked about the alleged parallels between Jesus and Isaac, you overlooked certain important points which ended up proving your theory wrong.  Its those kinds of flaws in your argument that I am talking about. 

Let me see if I can figure out how to correctly format my response.  I use Word to write it and then paste it on the forum.  It never formats but I was able to get it to work in the past after fiddling around with it for a while.  Let's see what happens.

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 8:15pm
Well, I tried to fix it but failed.  Just give it you best shot, Apollos.  If you miss something, I will let you know.  If it helps, I put "Apollos" in front of all of your statements.  Immediately following each statement is my response.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
  Share Topic