IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Exactly honeto.

I don't see the difference between the marriage of an 8 year old to a 47 year old and the rape of the 9 year old by her stepfather.

Gulliver mentioned the double standard and I was simply backing this up with fact.

The difference as I see it, according to the article YOU posted, is that the 47 year old man has been barred from having sex with the 8 year old until she reaches puberty at which time she can sue for divorce, so the sexual aspect will probably never happen. Whereas the 9 year old has already been raped by her stepfather.   See the difference?
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

[

The difference as I see it, according to the article YOU posted, is that the 47 year old man has been barred from having sex with the 8 year old until she reaches puberty at which time she can sue for divorce, so the sexual aspect will probably never happen. Whereas the 9 year old has already been raped by her stepfather.   See the difference?

Are you sure of that? How many times we heard about girls scaping from their old husbands? The last one I heard was in Yemen, when a girl asked for divorce from her husband because of his abuses. He was 22 years older than her.
As usually, and it's something common to all the religions, the theory is not the same than the practice.

hat2010 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 1:43am
-

Edited by Jamal Morelli - 30 October 2009 at 8:48am
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:24am
chrysalis- Did you not see my reply?

My church does not excumunicate.  We do not condone abortion because killing the babies doesn't erase the fact that there was a violent rape.

Would seeing the baby daily be a horrible reminder of the rape, or if you could get past the rape the baby might end up being a source of joy. 

If the baby was adopted out it for sure would become a joy for a childless couple.

In a situation like this my Pastor would counsel, discuss all options for the mother and 9 year old and give them support in any discision.  Pastor would also visit the rapist in jail!

OK I get it.   Muslims condone marriage of an 8 year old to a 47 year old, with no concern of what might go on behind closed doors, because it is all legal.

Turn the other cheeck:

"Back in the days of Christ, the Roman "masters" who were the indisputed rulers of man on earth, indisputed by all except Jesus and his followers of course. The accepted practice it seems was if you encountered a Roman soldier on your way and there was some mild altercation between you and he, he would strike you upon your cheek, often wearing a glove. The "proper" response was for you, the "peasant," to immediately kneel bow your head, exposing the back of your neck. This of course would signal submission. If the anger was not quenched by this display of subservience, you were to prostrate yourself, putting your forehead against the ground and the Roman solider would place his boot on your neck (heard of the saying: "Under the heel of Rome?").

"But along came Jesus the Christ, who said: Don't kneel to Rome, don't bow before earthly authority. Bow only to the Father in Heaven -- IF A MAN STRIKES YOU UPON YOUR CHEEK, TURN THE OTHER CHEEK! And act of absolute defiance and resistance to the tyranny of Rome."

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Pati Pati wrote:

[

Are you sure of that? How many times we heard about girls scaping from their old husbands? The last one I heard was in Yemen, when a girl asked for divorce from her husband because of his abuses. He was 22 years older than her.
As usually, and it's something common to all the religions, the theory is not the same than the practice.

The only thing I am sure of in both of these cases is that sex has already occurred in one and not yet in the other. What will happen is beyond my knowledge.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 1:33pm
  • Huckaby, a Sunday school teacher, was arrested last week
  •  
    (CNN) -- Nothing about Melissa Huckaby, a Sunday school teacher at her grandfather's California church, would indicate she's capable of killing her daughter's 8-year-old friend as police allege, relatives say.
    Melissa Huckaby faces charges of kidnapping and murder in the death of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu.

Huckaby, expected to be arraigned Tuesday in the death of Sandra Cantu, is a wonderful mother who is at ease with other children, relatives say. Cantu's body was found last week in a suitcase submerged in a pond.

But they acknowledge her life was less than tranquil before moving into her grandparents' Tracy, California, home last year. They say she's had difficulties dealing with a divorce, and she's had legal problems, including bankruptcy and a theft conviction.

"She is a good, church-going girl, but she has had her challenges," California resident Cynthia Browning, Huckaby's great-aunt, told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Huckaby, 28, was arrested on charges of murder and kidnapping late Friday, four days after the suitcase with Cantu's body was found at a dairy farm's pond in Tracy, not far from the church run by Huckaby's grandfather.

Cantu was last seen alive March 27 in the Tracy mobile home park where she lived. It's the same park where Huckaby lives with her 5-year-old daughter and grandparents. The two children were close friends and played frequently, Tracy police said.

Investigators believe the suitcase is Huckaby's and that she lied about it being missing, police said. Police Sgt. Tony Sheneman told reporters over the weekend that he didn't know the motive in the slaying, and he declined to say whether Huckaby confessed but said "she revealed enough information that we had probable cause to arrest her."

On Sunday, Huckaby's relatives told reporters in Tracy they were shocked by the allegations against her.

"The information we've been given regarding the charges against [her] are completely out of character for her," said one man, who identified himself only as a relative. Another relative, also declining to give her name, said Huckaby "is a fantastic mother, very loving."

Huckaby, who grew up in Orange County, California, moved in with her grandparents about eight months ago, according to the Contra Costa Times. She did so in part so that she'd have more time "to take better care of her daughter, who ... gets sick a lot," Browning told the Chronicle.

Huckaby divorced a few years ago and has had a hard time coping, her father, Brian Lawless of Orange County, told the Chronicle. She has fought depression, her relatives said, according to the newspaper.

She also has faced legal difficulties. Citing court records, the Tracy Press reported she pleaded no contest January 9 to a felony charge of second-degree commercial burglary and a misdemeanor charge of property theft.

A criminal complaint says she was jailed in Los Angeles County on a property theft conviction in 2006 and that she tried to steal from a store in November 2008. According to the complaint, she was on probation in San Joaquin County and was due back in court Friday.

And she filed for bankruptcy in 2003, reporting credit card and medical debt, according to CNN affiliate KCRA-TV.

Relatives said her only current job was the Sunday school teaching, according to the Chronicle.

The allegations stunned a friend of Huckaby's from high school, Emily Glyer Fontes, according to the Orange County Register. Fontes said she recalled that Huckaby "was almost like a mother" to a baby girl that Huckaby's parents adopted while she was in high school.

"That's why this is so overwhelming to me," Fontes, who said she and Huckaby were on the school's dance team, told the Register. "She was so wonderful with kids -- absolutely amazing. I feel so completely confused and so devastated about this. Everything I knew has been turned upside down."

Police have not said how Cantu died. The day she was last seen, she came home from school, kissed her mother and left to play with a friend who lives nearby, a family spokeswoman has said.

Before her arrest, Huckaby told the Tracy Press that Cantu came by her home to see whether she could play with Huckaby's daughter, but Huckaby would not let her daughter play because she wanted her daughter to pick up her toys. Cantu left for another friend's house, Huckaby told the newspaper.

Huckaby also told the Tracy Press that she owned the suitcase in which the child's body was found, but said she reported it missing the day before the body's discovery. She said it disappeared about the same time the child did.

Sheneman told reporters after Huckaby's arrest that "inconsistencies" between that interview and statements Huckaby had made to police were one reason police re-interviewed her Friday night.

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 22 April 2009 at 1:39pm
    Eleanor Roosevelt
    Senior  Member

Female
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 1:36pm

Finger Pointed At Cops In Cantu Case

Suspect May Have Taken, Drugged Other Girl Months Earlier; Mom Of Girl Says Police Didn't Heed Her Warnings

(CBS)  The suspect in the slaying of eight-year-old Sandra Cantu is scheduled to return to court Friday, when she's expected to enter a plea.

Melissa Huckaby is charged with kidnapping, raping and killing Cantu late last month. Cantu was a playmate of Huckaby's young daughter.

And now, the mother of a 7-year-old girl tells reporter David Begnaud of CBS station KOVR in Sacramento, Calif., that Huckaby took the girl without permission to a nearby park in January, and may have drugged her.

All three families live in the same mobile home park in the Northern California town of Tracy.

The woman, identified only as Lora, asserts that police didn't do enough to investigate Huckaby after the January incident.

"I believe," Lora told Begnaud, "if Tracy police had looked into Melissa a lot more than they did, I believe Sandra might be alive. ... I kept telling them to look into Melissa Huckaby a little bit more."

Lora says Huckaby took her daughter to the park without permission and, when she came home, her daughter could barely walk.

Lora says her daughter didn't say Huckaby had given her any pills. The girl told Lora, "The only thing (Huckaby) got her was a water from Wendy's."

Lora now questions why authorities didn't take her claims against Huckaby seriously. "I'm just kind of disappointed in them that they didn't look into Melissa more than they did," Lora remarked to Begnaud.

Tracy Police Sgt. Tony Sheneman says there was "no probable cause to arrest anyone" at the time.

Lora says she wasn't surprised when Huckaby was arrested. "My gut feeling," she tells Begnaud, "tells me she did it."

And Lora believes her own daughter is lucky to be alive, saying, "I'm thankful she is OK, and my heart goes out to Sandra's family."

Edited by icforumadmin - 24 April 2009 at 3:55pm
    Pati View Drop Down
    Female
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 9:14am

The only thing I am sure of in both of these cases is that sex has already occurred in one and not yet in the other. What will happen is beyond my knowledge.

I think you didn't read the article. Here I pasted you the words of the gir's husband:

http://foro.univision.com/univision/board/message?board.id=elgordoylaflaca&message.id=3877696

Thamer is in jail now. �Yes I was intimate with her, but I have done nothing wrong, as she is my wife and I have the right and no one can stop me," he said. "But if the judge or other people insist that I divorce her, I will do it, it�s ok.�

You can read it in the article.

Regards,
    Patricia
    No God wants the killing, but the peace.
    The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
      Share Topic