IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic values and Western 'culture'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic values and Western 'culture'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islamic values and Western 'culture'
    Posted: 11 March 2009 at 10:36pm
I would recommend Muslims who live in West not to adopt Western culture also because it is overly materialistic. Most people there practice religion merely as a pastime, if at all. General conception amongst people there is that religion is an impediment to progress. That has more to do with their experience with their religion, Christianity. Once, Christianity even forbade Western explorers to investigate if the world is round. Christians progressed as they broke the shackles of their retrogressive religion. In fact, number of atheists in the West is rapidly increasing.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0310/p01s02-ussc.html
http://www.commonwealmagazine.org/blog/?p=2895
http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2009/03/survey-shows-us-growing-less-r.php

Muslim experience has been much different. Muslims prospered when they were firm in their faith, they fell after they began to take their prosperity for granted and forsook their religion.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 9:49am

Muslims that dont live in the west, and are in thier 'muslim' countries need the above advise as well. . . .

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 9:58am
I  agree Chrysalis.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 2:08pm

"Once, Christianity even forbade Western explorers to investigate if the world is round. Christians progressed as they broke the shackles of their retrogressive religion."

Isaiah 40
22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,

Funny we knew in Old Testament times that the earth was round.

There wasn't a word for "sphere," only "circle" in Hebrew back then.

Edited by believer - 12 March 2009 at 2:08pm
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
hat2010 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 4:24pm
Salaam

Here is my two dirhams on the subj:

Western values to me worth exporting:
Green politics, better universities, focus on literacy, freedom to criticize one's own leaders, some shot at health care for the elderly, the orphans, the homeless;
i.e, here in Morocco - if you ain't got the dosh or the connections, you are pretty much screwed, short of individual contributions (zakat) - compare that to the beauty of the NHS!
(Come to think of it, the American right wing would ironically love this system; poor and helpless fend for themselves, little to no help from the government.)

Western habits difficult to escape it's presence:
The promotion of alcohol and drug abuse as sexy through it's celebrities, the non-stop marketing of sex to sell products, the widening of the generation gap, the weakening of the family, toxic food intake...

candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Muslims that dont live in the west, and are in thier 'muslim' countries need the above advise as well. . . .

True. But fortunately, masses haven't yet significantly adopted Western culture. It's only the jackass elites who compete with each other in proving how westernised they are.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Jamal Morelli Jamal Morelli wrote:

Salaam

Here is my two dirhams on the subj:

Western values to me worth exporting:
Green politics, better universities, focus on literacy, freedom to criticize one's own leaders, some shot at health care for the elderly, the orphans, the homeless;
i.e, here in Morocco - if you ain't got the dosh or the connections, you are pretty much screwed, short of individual contributions (zakat) - compare that to the beauty of the NHS!

Developing countries cannot afford Green technology because it is currently too expensive. And it's pointless to have 'better' universities when the overwhelming majority of children don't even have access to primary education. Only the elites can access higher education, who, anyway, fly off to entertain foreign hosts instead of serving their country. Therefore, poorer countries should focus on primary education instead of higher education. Besides, I am surprised you didn't include democracy in the list.

Edited by candid_new - 12 March 2009 at 9:31pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

"Once, Christianity even forbade Western explorers to investigate if the world is round. Christians progressed as they broke the shackles of their retrogressive religion."

Isaiah 40
22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,

Funny we knew in Old Testament times that the earth was round.

There wasn't�a word for "sphere," only�"circle" in�Hebrew back then.

It was not just the flat earth theory, Christian clergy was also opposed to the heliocentric theory of solar system.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic