IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is Ihsan? Let's discuss....  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Ihsan? Let's discuss....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Ihsan? Let's discuss....
    Posted: 27 February 2009 at 11:24pm
Assalamualaikum.

I am tired of debating with non-Muslims. For once, would love to discuss a subject that is dear to my heart with fellow Muslims.

I am very interested in this subject of tasawwuf. Tasawwuf is the science of Ihsan, the 3rd pillar of Islamic religion, namely Islam, Iman and Ihsan. It is very sad and dissapointing that not many Muslims are aware of this important subject in Islam. Some even totally reject the idea of Tasawwuf also known as Sufism. I wonder why?

The 5 pillars of Islam and the 6 pillars of Iman together with the two pillars of Ihsan is the base of Islamic religion.

I hope, out there, there are some brothers and sisters who would like to share their knowledge and experience in this topic.

Salam..

Edited by Nur_Ilahi - 27 February 2009 at 11:26pm
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 3:10am

Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

Assalamualaikum.

I am tired of debating with non-Muslims.

Wa Alaykum Assalam wa Rahmatullah.

Hindus and sikhs would only be too pleased with you if you are a Sufi.

the science of Ihsan, the 3rd pillar of Islamic religion,
Who made it the third pillar of Islam?

It is very sad and dissapointing that not many Muslims are aware of this important subject in Islam. Some even totally reject the idea of Tasawwuf also known as Sufism. I wonder why?

Because Both the terms Sufi and Sufism and Sufi beliefs have no basis from the traditional Islamic sources of the Qur'an and Sunnah, a fact even admitted by themselves. Rather, Sufism is in essence a conglomerate consisting of extracts from a multitude of other religions with which Sufi's interacted.

The 5 pillars of Islam and the 6 pillars of Iman together with the two pillars of Ihsan is the base of Islamic religion.

Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet Mohammed Sallallahu alaihi wasallam is the basis of Islam.

I hope, out there, there are some brothers and sisters who would like to share their knowledge and experience in this topic.

With the demise of the Companions and their successors, the door became open for the distortion of Islamic Principles.

The enemies of Islam had already burrowed deep into the ranks of Muslims and rapidly caused Fitnah through their spreading of forged hadith and subsequently created new sects such as the Khawaarij and Mu'tazilah.

Sufism gained its breeding ground during this period, whereby it gained its support from the Dynastic Rulers, who had deviated from Islam to the extent whereby magic was used as entertainment in their courts, even though magic is considered as Kufr in Islam.

During this period, Sufism developed its Shi'a flavour, indeed the roots of contemporary Sufism have been traced back to Shi'a origins (see later).

Sufi ideology and thinking flourished during the times of the likes of Muhyiddin Ibn Arabi, Jalal Ad Din Rumi, and Imam Ghazali. Their translation of Greek philosophical works into Arabic during the third Islamic century left an indelible mark on many aspects of Sufism, resulting in Greek pantheism becoming an integral part of Sufi doctrine.

Pagan practices such as Saint worshipping, the use of magic and holding venerance towards their Sheikh overtook the Orthodox practices of Islam and had little resemblance to the Islam left by our Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam).

By examining the mystic doctrines of Christianity, Hinduism, Taoism and other religions, it becomes clear how closer Sufism is to these religions than to Islam. In fact, Sufism is never characterised under "Islam" in any system of catalogue, but rather under 'Mysticism'.

Sharda highlights these unsurprising similarities by stating that: "After the fall of Muslim orthodoxy from power at the centre of India for about a century, due to the invasion of Timur, the Sufi became free from the control of the Muslim orthodoxy and consorted with Hindu saints, who influenced them to an amazing extent. The Sufi adopted Monism and wifely devotion from the Vaishnava Vedantic school and Bhakti and Yogic practices from the Vaishnava Vedantic school. By that time, the popularity of the Vedantic pantheism among the Sufis had reached its zenith."

Edited by abosait - 08 April 2009 at 3:28am
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 8:00pm
Abosait,

Alhamdulillah we meet again.

In the book The Forty Hadiths, the second hadiths stated clearly about Islam, Iman, Ihsan and Qadar. Here is the excerpt from - http://fortyhadith.iiu.edu.my/hadiths.htm

In the above hadith the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, defines Al-Islam, i.e. the five pillars, as the outward actions of the limbs, Al-Iman as being associated with belief - the inner actions of the heart, and Al-Ihsan as the highest level to attain. But the first two definitions can be interchanged with each other - sometimes Islam can be used to describe internal actions and Iman can mean external actions. There are a few hadiths which The Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, mentions that there are more than seventy actions which are considered as Iman.

If the term Islam is used on its own, it means the whole thing - Al-Islam, Al-Iman and Al-Ihsan. Similarly, when Iman is used on its own it means Al-Iman, Al-Islam and Al-Ihsan. The Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, mentions at the end of this hadith that the deen consists of these three things.

If the Iman is weak it will affect Al-Islam (good deeds/actions). According to al-Imam Abu Hanifa: Even though Al-Iman and Al-Islam are different, Al-Iman necessitates the actions (Al-Islam).

Some Scholars say the Muslims are considered strangers among the Disbelievers; and the Mua'minin are considered strangers among the Muslims; and the Muhsinin are considered strangers among the Mua'minin.

Al-Ihsan (the highest level of Iman where we worship Allah as if we see Him or if we don't see Him we know He sees us) is about fearing Allah and glorifying Him. This will lead us to strive for our best in performing our ibadah - we will be more sincere in our ibadah. Thus Al-Ihsan is also about the best actions of the heart. The actions that will lead to Al-Ihsan: to love Allah the most, to fear Allah the most, to seek the help of Allah, to have hope in Allah that He will give us mercy and guide us, to trust Allah wholly.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 8:10pm

What Is Tasawwuf

Tasawwuf is a branch of Islamic knowledge which focuses on the spiritual development of the Muslim.

Allah sent His final messenger, Prophet Muhammad , as a source of knowledge for the entire ummah. He was the fountain of Quran, Hadith, tafsir, rhetoric, fiqh, and so on. After the Prophet, the scholars of this ummah carried and propagated each of these branches of knowledge. Because no one person can attain the perfection of the Prophet , who single handedly assumed all of these roles, various branches of the Islamic sciences developed. For example, Imam Abu Hanifah preserved the science of fiqh and after him thousands of scholars continued in his footsteps. Hence these scholars preserved the fiqh of the Prophet . Similarly Imam Bukhari and the other famous scholars of Hadith, preserved the words of the Prophet. The scholars of tajweed preserved the recitation of the Prophet . And, the scholars of Arabic grammar preserved the language of the Prophet .

Along these lines, the Prophet was the model of spirituality for the world. His God-consciousness, deep spirituality, acts of worship, and love for Allah were preserved and propagated by an Islamic science called Tasawwuf. The aim of the scholars of this science was purification of the heart, and development of consciousness of Allah through submission to the shariah and sunnah.

So Abosait, is it wrong for us Muslims to emulate our Dear Prophet Muhammad salallahualaihiwassalam in purifying our souls thru Tasawwuf?

Salam...
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 10:39am

........Tasawwuf is a branch of Islamic knowledge which focuses on the spiritual development of the Muslim.....
There is no such thing mentioned in the Qur'an or Sunnah. It is a statement fabricated by the Sufis.

So Abosait, is it wrong for us Muslims to emulate our Dear Prophet Muhammad salallahualaihiwassalam in purifying our souls thru Tasawwuf?
It is wrong because Tasawwuf or Sufism is what the Sufis have gathered during their interactions with other religions and introduced into islam. 

On the contrary we have to follow the method of Purification which has been prescibed in the Qur'an and Sunnah

The Deen was perfected and a proclamation to this effect was made by the Prophet in his last Sermon at Hajjatul Widaa'. We need not go searching for new methods such as Tasawwuf.

Islam orders mankind to purify ourself through Tawheed.

So, firmness upon the Deen of Almighty God, excellence in this world and salvation in the Hereafter is built upon two great matters:
"Firstly: Knowledge of God and the beautiful Names and lofty Attributes that befit Him and His Actions -
and this necessitates
  • appreciation of His Majesty,
  • honouring Him,
  • fearing Him,
  • being in awe of Him,
  • loving Him,
  • placing one's hopes in Him,
  • placing reliance upon Him,
  • being pleased with His decree and
  • having patience with what He sends down as regards to hardships.
Secondly: Knowledge of what He loves and is pleased with, and what He hates and angers Him - whether beliefs, sayings, outward or inward actions.
So the one who has knowledge of this has to rush to fulfill that which Almighty God loves and is pleased with, and to avoid that which He hates and which angers Him.2

Almighty God - the Most High - said.

"Say: 'Whose is the earth and all that is in it, if you do indeed know?' They will say: 'It belongs to God.' Say: 'Will you not then remember?' Say: 'Who is the Lord of the heavens and the Lord of the great Throne?' They will say: 'God.' Say: 'Will you not then fear Him?"
Qur'aan - Soorah Muminoon 23:84-87
So not everyone who affirms that Almighty God is the Lord of everything and is its Creator, will be a worshipper of Him to the exclusion of everything else -
  • calling upon Him alone,
  • hoping in Him alone,
  • having fear of Him alone,
  • forming allegiance and enmity for Him,
  • obeying His Messengers,
  • ordering what He orders and forbidding what He forbade."

Shaykh 'Abdul-Qaadir al-Jeelaanee (died 561H) said:

"So it is upon you to fear God - the Mighty and Majestic - and not to fear anyone else except Him. Turn to God - the Mighty and Majestic - for your every need, and rely upon Him alone - the Most High - seeking that which you need from Him alone. Do not rely upon anyone other than Almighty God. And Tawheed - all is contained in Tawheed."Futoohul-Ghayb (p.176).

Edited by abosait - 10 April 2009 at 10:46am
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 10:52am

Along these lines, the Prophet was the model of spirituality for the world. His God-consciousness, deep spirituality, acts of worship, and love for Allah were preserved and propagated by an Islamic science called Tasawwuf..............

That is mis-information

The record of Prophet's traditions and the life of the Sahaba is called Hadith. The authentic books of Hadith are called Sahih.
savant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 9:55pm
Tasawwuf is all about self purification under islamic rulling; its not above the Law, Sunna or Quran. Any sufi claiming opposite is not valid.

sorry for those who can't uderstand below, will try to translate it but later; anybody else have its english version; please share.

Edited by savant - 10 April 2009 at 10:03pm
Never Give up
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 7:31am
Originally posted by abosait abosait wrote:

It is wrong because Tasawwuf or Sufism is what the Sufis have gathered during their interactions with other religions and introduced into islam.

Salam alaikum again Abosait.

There are many forms of Sufism. Some Sufism came directly from Rasulullah to Ali Radhiallahuanhu and some directly from Abu Bakar Radhiallahuanhu. Some Sufis, I understand practise sufism with dancing which I believe did not come from Rasulullah but perhaps modified by the some errant sufis themselves. I am not referring to these kind of sufisms. But the direct one from Rasulullah especially from Abu Bakar. Abu Bakar was well known for his weeping during solah (prayers) Nothing could be heard except his weeping.

Therefore I do not blame you for thinking that Sufism is  deviant ways from the True Islamic Path. Perhaps you have never ever come across this silsilah Tariqah Naqshabandi who came directly from Abu Bakar AsSidiq.
http://www.tasawwuf.org/shaykh/silsilah.htm

Their form of meditation is simple actually, but of course very difficult to practise because it is a jihad of the Nafs.

http://www.tasawwuf.org/basics/thanwi_tasawwuf.htm

And the recitation that you need is very simple just pronouncing the word Allah repetitively. I do not think repeating the word Allah is deviant do you?

Till next time...Salam

Edited by Nur_Ilahi - 11 April 2009 at 9:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic