IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > GREEN Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Marriage saves the planet :p  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marriage saves the planet :p

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marriage saves the planet :p
    Posted: 24 February 2009 at 10:02am
An interesting article I came across today . . . Tongue

Stay married and save the planet

6 mins ago

CANBERRA (Reuters) � Staying married is better for the planet because divorce leads the newly single to live more wasteful lifestyles, an Australian lawmaker said Tuesday.

Senator Steve Fielding told a Senate hearing in the Australian capital Canberra that divorce only made climate change worse.

When couples separated, they needed more rooms, more electricity and more water. This increased their carbon footprint, Australian Associated Press (AAP) quoted Fielding as telling the hearing on environmental issues.

"We understand that there is a social problem (with divorce), but now we're seeing there is also environmental impact as well on the footprint," AAP quoted him as saying.

Such a "resource-inefficient lifestyle" meant it would be better for the planet if couples stayed married, he said.

During the hearing, the senator read out quotes from a U.S. report that advocated his stance.

Fielding, who leads the independent Family First party, grew up in a family of 16 children and has been married for 22 years, his website says.

(Reporting by James Grubel; Editing by David Fogarty and Paul Tait)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090224/od_nm/us_divorce_odd_1

Smile
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 5:12pm
I read this and I thought it was absolutely st**id.

"Such a "resource-inefficient lifestyle" meant it would be better for the planet if couples stayed married, he said."

So heated arguments & frustration is the way to go???

I don't know where he gets his ideas from but being on your own actually uses less resoucres, just think about it ;) commonsense will tell you that more people in a house the more resources used, more cooking more cleaning more showers/baths, more tv's and steros to make each individul happy with there own likes, more computers also.

Even when you look at it in another way that even if each of the individuals lived on their own, and uses the same resources its not really that much difference really. Per household with many persons its alot while the other household with 1 person is not. On the individual person perspective it doesn't seem that much difference.

"When couples separated, they needed more rooms, more electricity and more water. This increased their carbon footprint"

I think he has that wrong.
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 7:47pm
Cool off Angel, you will feel and see the different when you are marriage. Just give a try...he..he..Smile
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 3:24am
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

Cool off Angel, you will feel and see the different when you are marriage. Just give a try...he..he..Smile

guess having those shows together will help Tongue
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 6:06am
Quote I don't know where he gets his ideas from but being on your own actually uses less resoucres, just think about it ;) commonsense will tell you that more people in a house the more resources used, more cooking more cleaning more showers/baths, more tv's and steros to make each individul happy with there own likes, more computers also.

That isn't true for my family. We only have one refrigerator and one TV set in our house. We have 3 computers however, but that is because computers we bought earlier became quickly outdated.

I have another theory. Many women in Western countries began to live independently after it became common in the West for women to work outside home. For their own materialistic interests they chose to concentrate on their careers and have fewer children, although they had the means to support and take care of more children. Now, Europe suddenly finds itself with an overaging population with fewer and fewer young people to sustain the economy and pay the taxes to cover the pension of an aging population. The very survival of many European nations is threatened.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 9:44am
SmileAngel : Smile There are some aspects of teh article I dont agree with either . . . although it was an interesting/amusing read.

For e.g. the points teh author raises, could very well be applied to joint-families, or room-mates, or cohabitation . . . not neccessarily "marriage"

I disagree about the part where u said bieng on our own is more resource-efficient.

When u live alone, u are using more resources lets take the e.g. of an AC, refrigerator, gas. U will have to use the same amount of energy to use appliances for one person.

On the other hand, if u have a roomate that u share the resources with (in this case, a spouse - tho not necassarily) u will use the same energy to sustain more than 1 person. (TV, Fridge, AC etc) . . . even a family.

Although, I agree that saying people should not live alone at all, or should not divorce at all - because it is less resource efficient is too extreme. I guess the moral of the story is : If you share, you have more to spare. Tongue

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
savant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 8:00am
saving due to marriage Confused, yes some can save money while sharing Fridge, AC or energy for spending it on other industries like cosmetics and medicine (sleeping pills).
Never Give up
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 10:50am
SLEEPING PILLSLOL
Z
CHANGE- Let's change the way we eat, the way we live and the way we treat each other. You see the old way wasn't working, so it's on us to do what we gotta do to survive.

Tupac A. Shakur...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic