IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bridges TV CEO Arrested  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBridges TV CEO Arrested

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Senior  Member

Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:07am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

About 95% of the people are Sunni Muslims.

Jordan's legal system is based on Islamic law and French codes.

The religious courts include Sharia (Islamic law) courts and the tribunals of other religious communities. Religious courts deal only with matters involving personal law such as marriage, divorce and inheritance.

The population consists of 92 percent Muslims

Of the 80 members of the Lower Chamber, 71 must be Muslim

The only political party that plays a role in the legislature is the Islamic Action Front (IAF).

shasta- you need to get busy rewritting history.

Believer, I have never met anyone with so many opinions regarding a subject of which they know so little. If you wish to continue posting on Islamic sites and be taken with any seriousness at all it would behoove you to actually know what you are disagreeing with. Understanding Islam, the colonization of the Middle East, the monarchy systems there and how they originally came into being, and what government Islam allows should be required reading for you.

From what you yourself posted, please see the bold red above, you can see that Islamic Law, what little there is, does not deal with homicides in Jordan. That would be the French Law codes....   I have to ask again, do you even read what YOU post?
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:22am
I found this a very interesting look at honor killings in America:

Killing of Sexual Partners as Mere Manslaughter:

When can killing a sexual partner or a former sexual partner qualify as mere "voluntary manslaughter" rather than murder under American law? Some of the comments to my honor killing post led me to want to elaborate further on this.

1. Most states � though not the several states that have adopted the Model Penal Code "extreme mental or emotional disturbance" formulation � specify that this sort of killing is voluntary manslaughter only if it's in the "heat of passion." But while some states limit this to situations where the killer has just immediately caught the victim (either the killer's sexual partner or the person with whom the partner is cheating) in the act, other states take (or recently have taken) a different view.

No need to witness adulterous act: Thus, for instance, Commonwealth v. Schnopps, 417 N.E.2d 1213 (Mass. 1981), holds that a spouse's killing of a spouse can be voluntary manslaughter when it immediately follows the victim's oral admission of adultery. Anderson v. State, 507 So. 2d 580 (Ala. Ct. Crim. App. 1987), overruled by Knight v. State, 907 So. 2d 470 (Ala. Ct. Crim. App. 2005), held that a spouse's killing of a spouse can be voluntary manslaughter when the killer "visualized [the wife] standing nude at the foot of [another man]'s bed" � based on the wife's refusing to accompany him home after a family visit to the other man's mobile home � and then went home, got his shotgun, drove to a store to buy shotgun shells, and later went back to the other man's home and shot the wife and the other man.

Time delay between confession of adultery and killing: Likewise, People v. Berry, 556 P. 2d 777 (Cal. 1975), concluded that a delay of 20 hours between the confession of adultery (and a desire to leave the marriage) and the killing didn't preclude a finding of manslaughter, at least when the victim had engaged in "a long course of provocatory conduct."

2. As best I can tell, most states don't limit the defense to adultery, but also allow it when the killer and the victim aren't married. Goforth v. State, 523 S.E.2d (Ga. 1999). This may be sensible, but I mention it to rebut the suggestion that the breaking of a marriage vow is somehow uniquely serious and thus specially justifies the doctrine.

3. Most troubling of all, there are quite a few cases in which a voluntary manslaughter theory was found legally warranted simply because a sexual partner had left the relationship, without any evidence of cheating. See, e.g., State v. Little, 462 A.2d 117 (N.H. 1983); People v. Guevara, 521 N.Y.S.2d 292 (App. Div. 1987). Fortunately, many states would not allow the theory in such cases, but some do.

The law in America (and I suspect many other Western countries) that if a spouse -- who will usually be the husband -- kills the other spouse shortly after discovering the spouse's adultery, the killing may be classified as a manslaughter rather than a murder. Manslaughter is generally treated as a far less severe crime, with far lower penalties.

It's true that the killing has to be done in the "heat of passion," and the ostensible theory is that the crime is in some measure more understandable and more forgivable because of its emotional basis, not that the crime is justified as a matter of honor. Still, my sense is that much of people's sympathy with the killers has to do with the fact that they were dishonored, and not just distressed or angered for reasons unrelated to their sense of their own honor. And in any event, regardless of the rationale, the law does make killing of an errant spouse into something less than murder -- not the same as the killing of a daughter for her dishonoring the family name, but not very far from that, either.

What's more, until the 1970s, this very same state of Georgia sometimes allowed spouses to kill their spouses when necessary to stop or prevent an act of adultery with no criminal consequences at all -- such killings were considered entirely justifiable, and not just mitigated from murder to manslaughter. See Scroggs v. State, 93 S.E.2d 583 (Ga. App. 1956). Even in the 1975 case that rejected this rule, one judge praised the rule and would have retained it. From 1915 to 1925, Texas courts took the same view, though apparently limited to husbands killing their wives. See Cook v. State, 180 S.W. 254 (Tex. Crim. App. 1915).

And until the 1970s, Georgia, Texas, and two other states expressly allowed husbands to kill their wives' lovers. (Some of the states extended this privilege to wives as well, and some didn't have a "heat of passion" requirement.) One of the cases elaborating on such a statute, State v. Greenlee, 269 P. 331 (N.M. 1928), specifically argued that the law "recognizes the ungovernable passion which possesses a man when immediately confronted with his wife's dishonor." Plus it is generally believed that juries have often acquitted the killers in such situations -- including fathers who killed their daughters' lovers, precisely on "honor" grounds -- even independently of the law. To quote another Georgia case (from 1911, quoting an earlier case from 1860), "What American jury has ever convicted a man for slaying the seducer of his wife or daughter?" That has likely changed in considerable measure since 1911, but my guess is that it remained largely true at least until recent decades.

And that's just the legal system's toleration (partial or complete) of such killings. As a matter of practice, many murders and even more assaults in America each year stem from adultery, perceived adultery, or even just a desire for a divorce. (Volokh)

Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:29am
It is interesting to note that Botswana, a Christian country, leads in the number of honor killings although they call them "crimes of passion".  The French influence, a rose by any other name....

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 24 February 2009 at 7:29am
Eleanor Roosevelt
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 8:24am
Very Interesting Shasta!!!
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

I found And until the 1970s, Georgia, Texas, and two other states expressly allowed husbands to kill their wives' lovers. (

Equal treatment under the law and women's rights must have quickly done away with that clause, otherwise the bodies of dead men would have washed up all over the country.

Edited by abuayisha - 24 February 2009 at 9:58am
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 1:17pm
Yes, very good information regarding violence against women.. whatever you call it, its worldwide. 
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 3:44pm

Believer, first there are no Muslim governments. Second, this was in the article in the link you provided:

Qaddumi - along with other experts � noted that Islam prohibits such crimes and that the problem is not "purely Jordanian".

"To stop the killing of women article 340 should be scrapped. I think Islamic sharia law should be applied," she said.

Under sharia law, "punishment for adultery or fornication can't be enforced unless there is a confession by the culprit or a testimony of four reliable, sane and adult eyewitnesses who each saw the process of sexual intercourse."

Why don't you quit trying to make this into an Islamic issue. Islam clearly does not allow such actions.

The victim in this case had filed for divorce and was trying to leave the perpetrator. What is your reasoning when a Christian commits such a crime? It is a fact that most spousal murders in the U.S. occur when the wife or female partner tries to leave the relationship. According to your criteria all of these would be considered "honor killings".

As Salamu Alaikum Shasta'sAunt.Jazakallah Kheiran for your reply.There have been many of these murders by people of other faiths.Shukran Jazelan for bringing that up.
Senior  Member

Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 2:42am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

I found And until the 1970s, Georgia, Texas, and two other states expressly allowed husbands to kill their wives' lovers. (

Equal treatment under the law and women's rights must have quickly done away with that clause, otherwise the bodies of dead men would have washed up all over the country.

Smile
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic