IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bridges TV CEO Arrested  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBridges TV CEO Arrested

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bridges TV CEO Arrested
    Posted: 16 February 2009 at 6:08am

Prominent Orchard Park man charged with beheading his wife

http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/578644.html

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 1:24am
That is very scary! Unhappy I really hope its not true, and that he didnt kill her. Though I know its silly to say, but he doesnt 'look' like a cold-hearted murderer.

inna lillahi wa inna illaihi raji'oon...
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 6:55am

Possibility of 'honor killing' mulled in Orchard Park slaying

Estranged husbandcharged with murder

By Fred O. Williams
NEWS STAFF REPORTER

The gruesome death of Orchard Park resident Aasiya Zubair Hassan� who was found decapitated�and the arrest of her estranged husband are drawing widespread attention, as speculation roils about the role that the couple�s religion may have played.

Muzzammil Hassan, 44, was arrested Thursday and charged with second- degree murder after telling police his wife was dead at the office of their television station in the Village of Orchard Park.

While Muslim leaders have urged against applying cultural stereotypes to the crime, advocates for women linked the killing to attitudes in Muslim societies.

�This was apparently a terroristic version of honor killing, a murder rooted in cultural notions about women�s subordination to men,� said Marcia Pappas, New York State president of the National Organization for Women.

She decried the scant national media attention paid to the story, which broke the same day as the commuter plane crash that killed 50 people in Clarence.

While domestic violence affects all cultures, Muslim women find it harder to break the silence about it because of a stigma, she said.

�Too many Muslim men are using their religious beliefs to justify violence against women,� she said.

After episodes of domestic violence, Aasiya Hassan, 37, filed for divorce Feb. 6 and obtained an order of protection barring her husband from their Orchard Park home, her lawyer, Corey Hogan, said.

She and her husband both worked at Bridges TV, a satellite- distributed news and opinion channel. They launched the station in 2004 in an effort to counter images of Muslim violence and extremism.

Nadia Shahram, a matrimonial lawyer in Williamsville, said that some Muslim men consider divorce a dishonor on their family.

A teacher of family law and Islam at the University at Buffalo Law School, Shahram said that �fanatical� Muslims believe �honor killing� is justified for bringing dishonor on a family.

While it has not been determined whether Aasiya Hassan�s death had anything to do with fanatical beliefs, the community should address the attitudes that make divorce particularly difficult for many Muslim families, Shahram said.

�I have not had one [case] where the husband wanted to settle outside of the court system,� she said.

In some interpretations, the Quran allows husbands to punish �disobedient� women, Shahram said, adding that this is a minority view.

An open community forum on the issue is scheduled from 3 to 6 p. m. Sunday at the UB Law School�s Moot Court on the North Campus in Amherst, she said. Imam Fajri Ansari, the leader of a Buffalo mosque, and other experts on Islam are scheduled to attend, she said.

Orchard Park police Monday continued to investigate last week�s death and remained quiet about its details.

Police believe that Aasiya Hassan died where she was found, in a hallway at the TV station�s offices on Thorn Avenue in the village, Police Chief Andrew Benz said.

The office was released as a crime scene Saturday, he said, but the effort to determine the murder weapon continued.

�We�re looking to make sure we find the weapon,� Benz said, adding that police don�t have a confession.

Muzzammil Hassan is scheduled to appear at a felony hearing in Orchard Park on Wednesday to determine bail.

A Family Court hearing today is expected to address the future of the couple�s two children, a girl age 4 and a boy age 6. Their grandparents, having traveled from Texas and Pakistan, are expected to attend, said John Tregilio, a lawyer for the children.

Muzzammil Hassan also has two older children, ages 17 and 18, who lived with the family on Big Tree Road in Orchard Park. The couple had been married eight years.

Naeem Randhawa, a documentary filmmaker in Dallas who worked with the Hassans, said it was apparent that their television venture was in trouble, but not their marriage.

He characterized Muzzammil Hassan as aggressive in a business sense, with fundraising efforts in the Muslim community that were necessary to keep the station going.

On a personal level, �he was not extremely talkative � he would sit back and listen,� Randhawa said. �He came across not as a passionate guy, [but] more reserved.�

Friends said they remember Aasiya Hassan as a vivacious and intelligent woman. For a time the couple owned a convenience store in Orchard Park where she would work, sometimes with her son.

Muzzammil Hassan graduated magna cum laude with an MBA from the Simon School of Business at the University of Rochester in 1996, according to biographical information on the TV station�s Web site.

In a 2005 interview with The Buffalo News, he said that the idea for the TV station was sparked two years earlier when the couple heard derogatory remarks about American Muslims on a radio talk show.

[email protected]

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 12:13pm

But really Chrysalis so many killers don't look the part.

"terroristic version of honor killing, a murder rooted in cultural notions about women�s subordination to men"

I always hear Muslims say that Islam is the superior religion.  Why has Islam not been able to over come honor killings?

Isn't there a verse in the Quran about not carryng the sins of your father?  Why would the "sins" of the sister, wife, etc. be counted against you?

Is it because of the subordinate position of women in shariah law?  Men hardly recieve a penalty for honor killing in shariah ruled countries.

And here don't even bother I have added the links for you:  Example of Old Testament honor killings:

I can see where abortion could be considered an honor killing when some time ago being an un-wed pregnant teen was seen as a dishonor to the family.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Talib_Asadullah View Drop Down
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

"terroristic version of honor killing, a murder rooted in cultural notions about women�s subordination to men"

I always hear Muslims say that Islam is the superior religion.  Why has Islam not been able to over come honor killings?

Its not that Islam needs to overcome "honor killings". Its some Muslims who need to "overcome" this.

You need to recognize the difference.
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 11:10pm

The current financial meltdown has triggered quite a few murder suicides all over !

Just consider this just another statistics instead of passing judgments against any faith!
In the scheme of things when there was so much bad blood between these divorce litigants it was risky and absolutely dumb on the woman's part to go to the man's station after having him kicked out of their house! ....

She played the American game not figuring the consequences!
 Once she had him kicked out under court order she should have stayed miles away from him at all cost...

The man will pay by spending rest of his life in the slammer so his American MBA  training didn't teach him much that killing was a bad business plan....

There is no information available on his real background making it an Islamic issue and then honor killing is a cheap shot!

Murders happen every day across America and no one says those are Judeo Christian honor killings....This has nothing to with religion... If you would like to know  these days the American Muslims have joined the American divorce statistic scene on equal footing.......If the thesis of honor killings has any basis then there should lot more killings be happening....but they are not ....so let us not get bent out of shape on this one till all details are available... 
Fry this fella; honor killing or whatever....
Finally what honor is there sitting in the big house and chowing on the hram food?

Edited by Sign*Reader - 18 February 2009 at 5:16pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Talib_Asadullah Talib_Asadullah wrote:

Its not that Islam needs to overcome "honor killings". Its some Muslims who need to "overcome" this.

True, many killers dont look the part, and you cannot judge by how 'innocent' one looks... I was just musing... Smile

Also, like Bro Talib correctly pointed out - Honor Killings are something people need to overcome. Might I also remind you that the countries where Honor Killings are culturally rooted, are countries like Jordon, which are not shariah ruled like you suggest.

And Honor Killings are not restricted to Muslims only - since they are cultural, people of other faiths that share similar cultures, some Hindus for e.g. are also guilty of honor killings. Refer to bride-burning (stove burning) etc.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Talib_Asadullah View Drop Down
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Originally posted by Talib_Asadullah Talib_Asadullah wrote:

True, many killers dont look the part, and you cannot judge by how 'innocent' one looks... I was just musing... Smile

Also, like Bro Talib correctly pointed out - Honor Killings are something people need to overcome. Might I also remind you that the countries where Honor Killings are culturally rooted, are countries like Jordon, which are not shariah ruled like you suggest.

And Honor Killings are not restricted to Muslims only - since they are cultural, people of other faiths that share similar cultures, some Hindus for e.g. are also guilty of honor killings. Refer to bride-burning (stove burning) etc.

Alhamduillah. Thanks for those good points sister.
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic