IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Adultery  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adultery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adultery
    Posted: 19 January 2009 at 7:02pm

If a married man looks at another woman lustfully. Hs he committed the sin of adultery in his heart, even tough not having acted upon it ? Christianity believes this kind of thing is adultery and true adultery is committed in the heart. My friend argues with me, and says that looking but not acting are not adultery. I said that if you were with your wife and are thinking about being with another, you don't see this as adultery ? He said no.

Can anyone clear this for me - using scholars etc if poss ? I just think it's terrible that a spouse would deceive himself and his wife believing like this. It undermines trust, the relationship and the marriage.

This other friend, whom he lusts for, but has not acted upon, sails about with him in his home town pretending to everyone they are just best of buddies. Both families are utterly deceived. But he is all charm and smiles and fools easily.  It disgusts me no end that he told me,, and will be the end of this farce of a friendship. He's not the person I thought he was at all.

What is adultery in Islam ?  I know he is committing adultery, amongst other things and I will win this argument fore I tell him to take a hike.

God Bless
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 12:38am

Sahih Muslim - Hadith No: 6422

Book : 33
Subject : Destiny (Kitab-Ul-Qadr)

Abu Huraira reported Allah''s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying. Allah fixed the very portion of adultery which a man will indulge in. There would be no escape from it. The adultery of the eye is the lustful look and the adultery of the ears is listening to voluptuous (song or talk) and the adultery of the tongue is licentious speech and the adultery of the hand is the lustful grip (embrace) and the adultery of the feet is to walk (to the place) where he intends to commit adultery and the heart yearns and desires which he may or may not put into effect.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 9:32am
I have heard that from Muslims too Gulliver- Is there anything in the Quran?  Maybe the person is a Quran only Muslim.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Honzo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

I have heard that from Muslims too Gulliver- Is there anything in the Quran?  Maybe the person is a Quran only Muslim.

The Noble Qur'an 24:30

...Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.

Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 5:45am

I don't think it has much to do with the Qu'ran, Believer. Just someone trying to justify himself  to the point of absurdity.

I suppose we are all spiritual adulterers, and that is perhaps what Jesus was referring to also. Maybe more so. Jesus did say something about placing anything or anyone - father, mother, brother or sister before Him - meant that person was not worthy to follow. Something like that.

I think Muhammad said something similar ?

Placing any 'love' before the love of God adulterates that love, makes it less pure than it should be. That's the real adultery we should be concerned with perhaps.

Betrayal is a terrible thing and I have a hard time with 'infidels'. They should all BURNNN IN HELLL ;-) lol 

Where the heart lies, the feet will wander.

God bless folks.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 7:06am
However, the sin of actually committing adultery is greater than just thinking about it. So its not the same thing, but nevertheless (lustful thoughts etc) is wrong - like the ahadith mentioned.

There is also another Hadith Qudsi, related by both Bukhari and Muslim :

On the authority of son of Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them both), from the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), among the sayings he related from his Lord (glorified and exalted be He) is that He said:

Allah has written down the good deeds and the bad ones. Then He explained it [by saying that] he who has intended a good deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as from ten good deeds to seven hundred times, or many times over. But if he has intended a bad deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down as one bad deed.

So intending and doing are still differentiated in Islam. If a person stops him/herself from doing a bad deed, its a good thing.

I think the gentleman is probably in denial about his feelings - so is dismissing it as harmless. We often try to convince ourselves and defend our own actions to ourselves, in order to make them guilt-free.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic