IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help with issues marrying a non-muslim  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with issues marrying a non-muslim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yasir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with issues marrying a non-muslim
    Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:57am
Asalaam-u-alaikum,

I am a muslim who has been living with a christian (ahl-e-kitab) for some time and are about to get married by registry very soon. What is the correct method of marriage as i understand she must be a muslim before a nikkah can take place? Therefore would the registered marriage be valid? She has been interested in Islam and may one day revert Inshallah but i have never asked her to as i want it to come from her heart. She is currently pregnant and i have been told that unless she reverts the child will not be acceptable in Islam and will be Haram. She is happy for the children to be brought up as muslims. Can someone please advise me whether this is true? I would be ever so grateful.

Waslaam

Yasir
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 4:23am
Asalam Alaikum,

Welcome to the Forum.

I a mnot sure who you have been talking to.. Muslim men can marry "People of the Book." Does she believe in God? Does she beleive in the Prophets?  So not sure what they can possibly be talking about.

And as far as Chidlren, Children are not held accountable for parents isns, actions etc. If you do al lthe right steps at birth then the child is a Muslim. Period.  Are you talking to a legitimate scholar?? People can push their own cultural beleifs and idealogies upon others, sometimes knowingly and sometimes not.

At this point the greater issue is that you are having 'relations' out of wedlock (unless it is not your child) and living with this woman. Which you aim to correct.

I believe the nikah is the same.. not sure there is a difference.

Whoever your source is, maybe not use them so much?? Wink

Hayfa
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Yasir View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yasir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 8:05am
Asalaam-u-alaikum

Thank you for the reply. I am yet to speak to a scholar with regards to the issue but just wanted to do some research too.

Yes i am aiming to correct everything by marrying her but i want to make sure i am doing it the correct way. Would a registered marriage be enough or do i need to complete a nikkah with an imam? and can a nikkah take place without her converting?

My source regarding the children issue was a culturally influenced source therefore i am not relying on it but want to get a neutral opinion.

Waslaam
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 12:03pm
I beleive you need to do a nikah, absolutely. That is to have your marriage legit in the eyes of Allah. No, nothing is different, I beleive, those others could correct me.  Typically a Imam would tlak to her so SHE knows what she is getting into. Not just you. Her children will have to be raised Muslim. And you said she is fine with that. It is actually best if she is a "nominal" Christian rather than a deeply practicing one.. could be much harder.

I'd discuss it with a good scholar.

Yes as far as kids. .you know so much of culture affects born Muslims too.. and they have all types of influences as well. I know many Pakistani people and they have these influences with Hinduism as well. Its hard to get rid of things at times.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Yasir View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yasir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 2:47am
Thank you once again for you reply. I have checked with an Imam and as you say it is possible to do a nikkah without her converting. I will be doing this ASAP. She is looking into Islam and may one day revert Inshallah. May Allah guide us onto the right path.

Waslaam Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic