IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslims' Knowledge of their Jurisprudence!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims' Knowledge of their Jurisprudence!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims' Knowledge of their Jurisprudence!
    Posted: 09 January 2009 at 4:35am
Assalamu alaikum.

The Quraysh were described as 'Ummiy' by Allah because besides Prophet Isma'il, they had no other Apostle.  Therefore when angle Gabriel came to Muhammad Rasulullah with the Message, Muhammad honestly confessed to his condition and said, "I am not one of those who read". When pressed further by Gabriel he said, "What am I to read!" Are we ready and willing to read even if we are not one of those who read?
Adul Qadir Auda a renowned Egyptian scholar wrote in his book, 'Islam between ignorant followers and incapable scholars'  a grostoque account of the knowledge of the Muslims. He said, "The knowledge Muslims posses of their jurisprudence differs according to their circumstances and education. They my be divided into three groups in this regard. The first is the uneducated. The scond is those who received European education and the third comprises those who received Islamic education. The uneducated group contains the illiterate and those who have such a small amount of eduction that they have difficulty in understanding independently ideas submitted to them, as well as inability to give corrct opinion about those ideas. Individuals within this group do not know anything about Islamic jurisprudence except superficial information about ritual of worship, in imitation of their fathers, followmen and spiritual leaders. It is quite rare to find among them one who performs his worship as an expression of reliance upon his own study and personal information.. Unfortunately, the Muslim majority can be classified under this group, a possible 80% majority of the total Muslim population in the world. (Today this is 80% of the 1.1 biliion population coming to 880,000,000 million)....
The European-Educated (I am included) have in mjority received secondary education and there is a large number of those who have higher education, among whom are judges and lawywers, medical doctors, engineers, educators, administrators and politicians. Members of this group, being educted in the European fashion, know no more about islamic jurisprudence that the average Muslim who learns about his religon from his environment. Their majority may be expected to know more about the rites of greek and Roman mythodology than about Islam and its jurisprudence. Very few of the highly-educated people within this group have made special studies in Islamic jurispruence or other Islamic disciplines. Even those few who have done so, made their studies very limited and superficial; therefore, one hardly finds in this group any peopl who understand the real spirit of Islam or who have  grasp of the basic principles of Islamic legislation.
The European-educated who possess but little knowledge of Islam and its jurisprudence are the same members of Islamic societies who attempt to dominate and direct the destiny of Islam in every country. Thes are the same ones who ostensibly represent the religion and realm of islam in international conferences. ...While their jurisprudence is not overt, it is yet true that they make little effort to refer to Islamic juristic books for the prupose of increasing their knowledge(but thy buty cars, build mansions, wear expensive dress, made dontions for suppressing the Sunna). Perhaps this is because research in these books is difficult for those not possessing long xperience with Islamic studies. Thes books are written in the style invogue with authors a millenium ago. They have no indices to facilitate reference and they are exhausting when one attempts to revise a particular subject or find answers to questions. The reader must go through the books chapter by chapter, till he meets what he is after. In the meantime he may give up hope of ever findidng what he wants, only to discover it accidentally in the least expected place.. Readers may pursue these juristic books and feel unable to grasp their import, owing to their ignorance of technical juristic terminology and basic principles of this science. I
(Audah) know personally  of many who made earnest efforts to study Islamic jurisprudence, but failed to understand it because they got lost among a multitude of texts and comments, margins and explanations. Had they found books written in modern form, they might have benefitted themselves and others form their study. The European-educated group entertain some fantastic assumptions bout Islamic jurisprudence (like some mebers of this forum). Sometimes they become ridiculous,as when they claim that Islam has nothing to do with the government  (like I follow my Imam in the msoque, while my Head of State cannot lead me in prayers and this is the Sunna) and the state, or someone opine that Islam is a religion and  state as well, but its jurisprudence dows not fit the presnt secular state because certain of its injuctions were meant to be temporary and thus cannot be applied to contemporary contingencies...
From my experience, all what Audah observed about 30 years ago is worse today. Of the Muslim world population about 99.8% care less about the Sunna of Muhammad Rasulullah, because they do not read as expressed by Audah current texts that spelt out every detail of the intended meaning that was understood by the Sahabas based on SALIIQA and MA'AAHAD. To my understanding it is the latter that  modern books addresses.
How I wished that memebrs of this forum will concntrate on knoing the Sunna (the practical way of life) and desist from involving themselves in polemiscs that increases punishment.
Friendship

abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Friendship Friendship wrote:

Sometimes they (some members of this forum) become ridiculous,as when they claim ........"I follow my Imam in the msoque, while my Head of State cannot lead me in prayers" ..........Friendship
So "Friendship', If you were to be in India you would follow Prathibadevi and when you are in the US you would ask Bush/Obama to lead your prayers?

Edited by abosait - 09 January 2009 at 6:05am
Talib_Asadullah View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talib_Asadullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 8:37pm
Alhamdulillah.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. Allah reward you for your efforts and striving, in this life and the Next.
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 7:31am

How I wished that memebrs of this forum will concntrate on knoing the Sunna (the practical way of life) and desist from involving themselves in polemiscs that increases punishment.
Friendship

In our time, who are the contemporary scholars of the sunnah, that we can follow and learn from?  Or, is this knowledge learned primary from books or in Islamic Universities?  What are a few practical steps each of us should make in knowing the sunnah?
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 6:12pm
Assalamu alaikum.

Abosait posted: so "Friendship', If you were to be in India you would follow Prathibadevi and when you are in the US you would ask Bush/Obama to lead your prayers?

Response: Ye, if they believed in the final Message, because according to what I read and understood directly from the Qur'an, your leader must be able to lead you in the prayers. This had its root from Abraham and his son Ismael. This was the case with Muhammad Rasulullah especially if you carefully read Qur'an 2:143. To tell you the truth, if I travel overseas, I attend the Magrib, Subh and Friday prayers in a congregation. If I found out that the Imam did not pray according to my knowledge of that of the Sunna of Muhammad, I wil come back to my hotel and repeat the prayer. Then I will not attend that mosque again.
Friendship.

Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 6:55pm
Assalamu alaikum.

Abuayisha posted: In our time, who are the contemporary scholars of the sunnah, that we can follow and learn from?  Or, is this knowledge learned primary from books or in Islamic Universities?  What are a few practical steps each of us should make in knowing the sunnah?
Response: This is a very important question. In one of my responses I mentioned about this and a member disagreed with me in that I may discourage those accepting Islam. But that is not the case. We must understand that the most important Pillar of Islam after Iman is prayer. This the holy Prophet clearly stated that we have to pray the manner we saw him praying. So I do not compromise on this. It therefore involves personal effort for one to know. I am sorry to state that even in the Ka'ba and the Masjid Nabwi, the Imams do not observe the Sunna. Well anyone who disagrees let him cross check his books.  There are good books written on how the holy Prophet worshipped.  One of them is Zadal Ma'ad by ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya in Arabic.
There is also a book written by Mashhur Hassan Salman in Arabic detailing some common mistakes in prayers. I have written a book on this subject and printed it. Unfortunately people are not concerned with the Hereafter. One in reality must read and understand Islam especially the Sunna. There is no short cut to that. An example; a Muslim brother in USA wrote a book on Friday sermons. He said, The Prophets order is to shorten the Khutba and prolong the prayer is compatible with the belief that the Qur'an is indeed the best speech...Many of them have to travel a significant distance or through heavy trafic to reach the mosque. This fact coupled with the limited attention span of the average person, makes it absolute necessity that the Khutab be short. In my experience here in the USA, I found 35 minutes in the maximum one can allow for the entire Friday prayer: including 25 minutes for the Khutba and 10 minutes for the the adhan, iqama and the prayer".  However, this contradicts the command of the holy Prophet shortening Khutab and prolonging prayer. In other words it should be Khutaba 5 minutes or so, prayer 10 minutes or so. Now, the one able to read very extensively will now compare the Khutba of the holy Prophet and the verses he recites during the prayer. From my personal experience my prayer takes 8 minutes and my khutba 4 minutes, reciting the same verses he recited. If you ever watched how the Friday prayer is performed in Masjid Nabwi and Ka'ba the Khutba takes about 30-40 minutes and the prayer barely 5 minutes. Is there a University better than these mosques? If the Imams in the two mosques do not observe the Sunna of the holy Propeht where will one be safe then?  Only in one's house with his family!  I hope this example will suffice.
Friendship.
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 7:19am

... it should be Khutaba 5 minutes or so,....
That wont be enough for the introductory words. Then comes motivation--then Qur'anic Verse/s ---Hadith that explains those verses--........
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 7:26am

1... your leader must be able to lead you in the prayers.....

2..... I attend the Magrib, Subh and Friday prayers in a congregation.....

1. On the contrary, the one who leads you in the prayers is your leader in that act of worship. The one who leads you in a foot ball match is your Team Captain and the one who leads your army is the General.

2. What about AdDuhr, AlAsr and AlIshaa'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic