IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talib_Asadullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hijab
    Posted: 07 January 2009 at 11:47am
Hijab, whats in it for you sister? 5 Advantages.

Are there any sisters here who dont feel like they need to wear hijab?

• I can�t be messed with! Hijab protects me � Hijab identifies a Muslim woman as a person of high moral standards to reduce her chances of being harassed.
     �O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons: that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested.� [Quran 33:59]
    As Dr. Katherine Bullock (a Canadian convert and community activist) observes, �The point to covering is not that sexual attraction is bad, only that it should be expressed between a husband and wife inside the privacy of the home. A public space free of sexual tensions is seen as a more peaceful place for human beings, men and women, to interact, do business, and build a healthy civilization.�

• I am liberated from slavery to �physical perfection� � Society makes women desire to become �perfect objects�. The multitudes of alluring fashion magazines and cosmetic surgeries show women�s enslavement to beauty. The entertainment industry pressures teens to believe that for clothes, less is better. When we wear Hijab, we vow to liberate ourselves from such desires and serve only God.

• I don�t let others judge me by my hair and curves! � In schools and professional environments, women are often judged by their looks or bodies�characteristics they neither chose nor created. Hijab forces society to judge women for their value as human beings, with intellect, principles, and feelings. A woman in Hijab sends a message, �Deal with my brain, not my body!�

• I feel empowered and confident � In contrast to today�s teenage culture, where anorexia and suicide are on the rise, as women attempt to reach an unattainable ideal of beauty, Hijab frees a woman from the pressure to �fit in�. She does not have to worry about wearing the right kind of jeans or the right shade of eyeshadow. She can feel secure about her appearance because she cares to please only Allah.

• I feel the bond of unity � Hijab identifies us as Muslims and encourages other Muslim sisters to greet us with the salutation of peace, �Assalamu Alaikum�. Hijab draws others to us and immerses us in good company.

Source: "Hijab: Fabric, Fad or Faith?" - Latest Young Muslims Publications.

Edited by Talib_Asadullah - 07 January 2009 at 11:48am
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 8:04pm

Interesting :) I particularly like 2, 3 and 4.  Smile

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Talib_Asadullah View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talib_Asadullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 8:56am
AlhamduillahSmile
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 5:53am
Asa:

So brothers, when are you going to start being recognized as muslim and follow the sunnah and follow the prophets example? I do not see many with beards or who dress islamically. Are we not exhorted to not dress or look as non muslims? I believe in equality for men too.

Edited by mariyah - 14 February 2009 at 5:54am
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Talib_Asadullah View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talib_Asadullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 8:26am
Alhamduillah!!!

I also totally 100% agree my sister!

I dont understand when I see a man and wife. The wife in Niqab and the brother has no hair on his face. Whats the deal with this. He expects the woman to cover head to toe of course, but he doesnt do what he is supposed to do?! There is no power or might besides Allah.

What do you consider dressing "Islamically"? I suspect its the tight shirts and pants worn by brothers and walking around exposed in regards the knees,etc.
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah
JihadX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JihadX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 5:08pm
Mariyah: I agree with you sister. This is why I dump the western clothing and wear thobe or shalwar qameez. Because i am in my last year of High school, I wear my islamic robes on weekends only for now. I prefer them before american wears anyday. My beard is still tiny but  I will never shaveSmile
What do you sisters think about niqab? Hijab is good but niqab seems wonderful. It shows much modesty. It is a growing trend in my community now.

Btw, I see you are from Mexico or do you just live there? My exercise partner is mexican and he is good friend. He is interested in Arabic and I am trying to to teach him of what I know. My spanish is also good, i've been learning spanish and portuguese. Spanish= 7 years and portuguese= 2 years. I also have a friend from Colombia and my spanish accent is Colombian.Wink

Now i am interested in eastern languages but my school doesn't offer so i have to use the internet and friends.

Back to the subject, i think that we should all try to follow the sunnah best way possible!
�The knife that slaughtered the guards at Bagram and set us free is now on its way to other places,�
_ The Mujahid, The Eminent, Sheikh Abu Yahya Al Libi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by mariyah mariyah wrote:

Asa:

So brothers, when are you going to start being recognized as muslim and follow the sunnah and follow the prophets example? I do not see many with beards or who dress islamically. Are we not exhorted to not dress or look as non muslims? I believe in equality for men too.

Wink Good one.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 10:56pm
Mashallah brothers well said. U pass mine and sis Mariyah's 'Fair Muslim Brother' test . . . Tongue  (kidding, don' be scared. no such thing) :p

Jihad: Niqaab is a good option, for those sisters who can observe it easily. There is always room for improvement. I really respect my muslim sisters who do so. Also bro, no harm in wearing jeans and t-shirts (american apparel) as long as u r not exposing the parts ur supposed to keep hidden. But ofcourse you are correct that the eastern apparrel is very comfy - not to mention it has certain benefits for the men who wear them, tight clothing is not reccommended medically. And Mashallah, your linguistic skills are incredible! *envious* (in a good way)

Edited by Chrysalis - 14 February 2009 at 10:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic