IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Qualifying the Off-Topic Responses  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qualifying the Off-Topic Responses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qualifying the Off-Topic Responses
    Posted: 30 December 2008 at 11:06am
I suppose it is the object of the abusive poster, but so many topics get de-railed.
The most common are:
1) "Spreading Jesus by the Bored" - mosquitos on the IC who imagine that somehow, through constant de-railing, a Muslim will accept Christ as God...often through abusive language towards our religion.
2) The cross-talk derailing: People start topics and others continue their own wars on the thread, sometimes with no reference to the topic.
3) The insane - this one is odd, because it seems in earnest at times. Like Pogo(?) with the pages of "SWEETSONG" poetry for each entry.

You know, one time I had a post censored for making use of the thread to redress someone. It was the right thing to do; I should have PM'd my anger to the poster and to a mod, first.

I want the mods to be able to do something to make the IC forums a bit more readable...

Suggestion: Allow something like the Yahoo/WIki answer poll "Was this answer helpful?/Was this answer on topic?" But only allow the mods to respond, so as to prevent abuse. This way, there is no censorship but a quick guide for those of us who don't want to wade through bilious proselytizing, personal vendettas, or insane ramblings just to find there was no pertinent content matter.

What do you think?

Edited by Jamal Morelli - 30 December 2008 at 11:07am
Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 3:55am
Welcome to Islamicity!

(Okay, sarcasm off ....) These forums have always been this way Jamal, sometimes it's pure chaos, and thoroughly uninspiring chaos at that. On other sites I notice the same things happen, it just seems to be the law of internet forums, people get carried away by the whole Global Audience aspect of posting their thoughts and get giddy.

Nowhere I've seen, on any site forum, do threads stay on topic for more than two pages of postings.

Of course, in theory, the moderators should be ensuring things stay on topic.....there's a thought.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2009 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Duende Duende wrote:

Nowhere I've seen, on any site forum, do threads stay on topic for more than two pages of postings.

yes, true but also in normal conversations face to face topics do go off topic and return eventually. Wink

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2009 at 2:20pm
I agree with Angel. In face to face conversations topics go off on tangents and then meander back again. It makes it interesting.

"3) The insane - this one is odd, because it seems in earnest at times. Like Pogo(?) with the pages of "SWEETSONG" poetry for each entry."

LOLLOLLOL There seem to be a few of these lately. What's up with that?

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 9:14am
As Salaamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters How many of us forget how to greet one another?This is an Islamic Forum with others as members and imposters.To me a Muslim without Salams is unrecongnizable like without Kuffi or beard or Hijab.Yes you can say that is off topic, but a Muslim without Salaams is out of character.whats up with that?May Allah help us with the littless things we forget(Ameen)
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 9:44am
Thumbs%20Up
zaharah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic