IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Things I find hard since coming to Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things I find hard since coming to Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariacanadiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things I find hard since coming to Islam
    Posted: 23 December 2008 at 4:39am
Asalamalaikum!

Islam is a wonderful religion, it is everything I wanted in a relationship with my creator, but sometimes things are hard, and sometimes you miss things the way they were and thats when you need encouragement.

Here is my list of things I miss.  Please feel free to post your list, and everyone please provide encouragement and dua for those of us who are still transitioning or having our down days.

Things I miss:

- Christmas shopping with my family (they are not muslim so they won't go Eid shopping or celebrate that with meCry maybe next year inshaAllah)
- Putting up the christmas lights and driving around to see all the lights
- Being a dancer, performing on stage
- Ballet class, the barre and my pointshoes
- Spending hours in the studio and in rehersal.
- Going to a salon, getting a new style, and getting complements on how it suits me well. We have no lady's only salons here so I can't even do this with my hubby

thats my list, please feel freee to post your own, and to encourage everyone who posts a list.

InshaAllah we will become stronger and these little things won't bother us.
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2008 at 10:20pm
Hi Maria  Asalamalakium. I see you're a bit newer than me, so welcome. The things I find hard since discovering Islam really fall into one of two catagories (or perhaps they are the same): One, and for me the worst, is the relative isolation I feel in my beliefs. This is the reason I joined this website to begin with. Other than in here, I don't know a single Muslim-- never even met one. My wife is Christian, her family is Christian, my family is Christian; everyone I know is Christian, and I live out in the sticks of Vermont. I never was a praticing Christian myself, so I've never experienced religious fellowship before on any level. So although I've never had it, it's nevertheless something I miss (or miss out on). I don't believe religion was meant to be praticed alone. The second thing that's hard, is the general lack of understanding of Islam that I encounter in people I talk to (and live with). People feel very threatened by it without bothering to try to understand it. "It's evil, un-Christian, a religion for terrorists and fanatics." I've heard all these things and more. I myself thought many of these things until I read the Quran the first time. Inshallah, I'll meet other people with similar beliefs when I'm meant to. Overall, I feel as though I've gained much and lost little. No religion logically ever made sense to me until I found Islam. 
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre
mariacanadiana View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariacanadiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 3:23am
Asalamalaikum Hunter!

I am sorry you feel so isolated. My brother is going through a simular problem. He just moved back home to small town Ontario ( and I mean small, the place consists of 1 road!) and is being harrassed about islam at home. We are shocked, very shocked because we were brought up to be tolerant. If you would like I can introduce you and you both might be able to encourage eachother and share experiences.

InshaAllah when  the snow clears you can take a roadtrip to a city where there is a masjid and pray salat with everyone. Keep making dua, you never know what could happen, maybe a muslim family will move in the neighbourhood or one of your relatives will come around and revert to islam.

I know it is hard being the only one, but you are getting so much blessings by being a living education for the people in your family and town. You will never know how your influence and just living as a good muslim may affect their hearts or minds in the long run. You are walking, breathing, living dawa. Be strong brother, and
I will make dua that Allah swt makes it easy on you.

wa alaikumsalam

Maria
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 3:39am
As Salamu Alaikum,

Hunter, i feel very happy reading your posts. Even this one. You know you have used the terms like "Asalamalaikum", "InshaAllah" --- All praises be to Allah ! You never met a muslim personally. but still only thru the studyings, you have gaining knowledge daily. May Allah swt soon bless you and your family & people around you into the folds of Islam. Ameen

And sis Maria, you are one of the active members here. We knew you more thru your journey into Islam. Before answering your post, can you kindly list me out the reasons, as why in Islam, you are stopped from those activities, which you are missing. And yes, also let us know, if your wear Hijab / scarf --- .

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
mariacanadiana View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariacanadiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 3:52am
Asalamalaikum  seekshidayath

Yes I wear hijab now, just started wearing it this past July. I stopped these activities because from what I have read, I can't do them while being a good practicing muslim. Dancing is not looked well upon, especially dancing on a stage for all to see. I use to perform ballet, classical indian dancing(baranatyum) and bollywood pieces. I can't attend ballet class as it is not a womans only environmentm and the clothing requirements are tight (so teacher can correct form and see what your doing, but its still tight) and the studio I was going to, when I started wearing the headscarf, stopped calling me and telling me when class is, and the teacher started being cruel.

I had always wanted to be a dancer, but like it says in the Quran, you may like a thing that is bad for you and dislike a thing that is good for you.  So maybe its better for me not to be dancing, but I still miss it.

As for the family shopping, those are family issues that InshaAllah will resolve someday.
As for the christmas lights, it makes me reminds me of celebrating christmas as a child so really I should be avoiding doing that because it will probably just make the whole season harder.

maria
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2008 at 10:32pm
As Salaamulaikum  Maria, thank you so much for your encouraging words. It really isn't all so bad for me, and this forum has helped a lot. Does your brother have a computer? Encourage him to join this forum; I'd love to meet him and talk with him. Seekshidayath-- You've been watching me and encouraging me from the very beginning. I also appreciate you very much and it's always an honor and a pleasure to hear from you. It's also nice to hear I'm making progress. The person making the progress is often the last to perceive it-- Respectfully, Hunter
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre
Andromeda View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andromeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2008 at 12:07pm
Hi Maria,

I just found this website this evening, and found that i coould relate to your post.

I have not yet converted, am i still doing a lot of reading however will be converting this year.

I live my life now as a Muslim, however i find the idea of not having another Christmas quite hard, for 26 years i have celebrated Christmas with my family, though it has never been a religious thing for my family, its more santa is coming down the chimney. My family is really upset that i will no longer be spending it with them as am i.

I am too, well was a dancer, but also gave this up for the same reasons you did, which i miss so much.

I feel silly for missing such silly things when i know i have a very happy future ahead of me.

Can i ask how you found learning arabic for the daily prayers? As this is something i am really struggling with.

I have also been told am i not allowed to have framed photos on my wall....do you know why this is?

Sorry to go on abit, think i need to talk to someone who is doing the same as me Smile and you seem to think/feel the same as me!

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2008 at 6:08pm

Wa'laikum Salam wa Rahmatullah,

That was a perfect post sister Maria. You showed us thru your practice that a muslim entails willful submission. You submitted your will to God's way. SubhanAllah ! May Allah swt help you to be steadfast in deen likethis always. InshaAllah, you shall be rewarded for the difficulties you face while practicing Islam. If you happen to experience any such incidents like that teacher's attitude, immediately go thru the life of companions of Prophet, when Islam was new. By reading there lives, we feel so light-hearted and encouraged, that take these happenings of our life easily. You must be knowing how tough it was for those great people to practice Islam. They were brutually tortured. Anyways, may Allah swt bestow us such strong faith, as you possess.

Thankyou for your kind words hunter. If at all i were of any help, that was from Allah, infact i shud be grateful to Allah that He used me in His way. It was your sincerity in knowing the truth, that you are been blessed and Allah swt, opened doors for you. You said, you have been reading Qur'an. Why don't you post an ayah {verse} of the Qur'an which reflects you at this section - Quran and Sunnah.

You can post them at page 7.

Edited by seekshidayath - 26 December 2008 at 6:15pm
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic