IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > GREEN Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proud of my Ecological footprint!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proud of my Ecological footprint!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2009 at 10:17am

Quote Andalus
I will try harder to increase my carbon foot print!

Wow. That doesnt make you any better than a, how did u put it? an environmentalist nut job. . .  you both are extremists, just of a different kind.

Hunter: I dont think when ppl talk about saving the environment and 'going green' , they are attacking the logger or the average citizen who is trying to get by. Every little helps, and even a little effort works.

However, I agree that some environmentalists out there are just talking crazy. PETA for example . . . they are mostly loony. But that does not mean that one should completely disregard the environment, and say all 'environmentalists' are bad etc. Muslims should be moderates, and take the moderate path. In anycase, I think a concious Muslim following the sunnah automatically is one that is doing thier part. Like saving water during wudhu (hadith), walking to the mosque (sunnah) etc. . . (when applicable ofcourse)

Edited by Chrysalis - 01 January 2009 at 10:32am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2009 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

I will try harder to increase my carbon foot print!

Wow. That doesnt make you any better than a, how did u put it? an environmentalist nut job. . .

Given that the idea of a carbon footprint is complete nonsense driven by pseudo science, the concept by its very nature is "nutty", therefore living by it is an irrational act of devotion (baseless faith), and not following it is an act of sanity.
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 1:22am
Hi Chrysalis. Rather than being attacked for being (or actually having been) a logger, I got exactly what I thought I'd get in here-- ignored. I addressed Love specifically (as well as respectfully) to make a point. I fully expected to be ignored. I was right. Environmentalists give much lip service to being inclusive, when in fact they're anything but that. I'm not a "like minded" person who shares the same ideals and uses the same language, therefore I'm unworthy of any response. It's the "us and them, good guys versus bad guys" mentality which prevents any Green movement from having a wider and more universal appeal. They alienate the rest of us. It's really all about belonging and saying the right things, having the right exterior. This is what Andalus was talking about when he equated the environmental movement to religion. A sociologist would say it's all about the signs and symbols of belonging. It's a culture, or a religion. I'd argue from my experience that it's also classist. Some activists go so far as to "spike" trees, or drive (and conceal) a steel spike into a tree trunk for the purpose of injuring or killing either the logger or the sawmill worker. There actually have been deaths. Would they attack me? Some poor guy just doing his best to feed his family? I'd say yes. Many environmentalists talk the talk, but all too few actually walk the walk. It's all good, I made my point Tongue-- Hunter (oh, I don't think they like my name either although it doesn't have anything to do with hunting) Oh well. 
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre
love View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 10:08pm
Asalaamu alaykum...I apologize for not responding to your comments Hunter.  I'm sorry if you felt ignored by me.  I thought everyone had said all they wanted to.  I didn't think I should say any more as I was inflaming Andalus by his strong statements and I didn't want to make you or anyone upset for something I may say.  To be honest, I needed a break.  Yes, I do get emotional esp when I think that the rights of all the beautiful things Allah has created is being harmed. 
I had family over and was spending time with them so that's another reason for my time away from this site.   I'm not here to change minds or pretend like I know everything because only Allah is the All-Knowing Guide.  I appreciate everyone's input and critique/criticism.  May Allah guide, bless, and protect us all. 
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 12:15am
Hello Love. Don't take my comments too much to heart. Afterall, I'm a logger (or former one at least) speaking out in a Green forum. I think it's only natural I'd feel a bit defensive; don't take it personally. I used you to make a point, so I probably owe you an apology as well. I hope your holidays went well. Personally, I'm glad they're over. Allah knows best. That's a statement I do agree with 100% so I'll end it on that note. Now I've said everything I need to. I'll be lurking around in other (less Green) threads, so if you need a redneck to argue with or an opposing point of view, don't hesitate to ask (and I do mean that sincerely)      respectfully-- Hunter
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic