IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - temporary marriage/mut`a  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtemporary marriage/mut`a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Member.
Member.

Direct Link To This Post Topic: temporary marriage/mut`a
    Posted: 27 October 2008 at 5:08pm
The issue of temporary marriage is controversial in Islam. Shi`is believe mut`a is halal and Sunnis believe it is haram. How can people who attest to the same religion differ so intensively about one subject? 
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 1:37am
You seem to be a muslim, by your name. What do you say of it now ? There are few elements in our society who under the label of Islam, create there own understandings and depict themselves as Muslims. What cud we do !
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
sabah08 View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 2:46pm
If Shi'is believe 4:24 discusses temporary marriage, and Sunnis don't, aren't both acts of interpretation? How does one deem they are correct and the other as incorrect?

If the Shi`a interpret the word istamta` (mut`a - pleasure), to signify temporary marriage in 4:24:
And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond those mentioned, so that ye seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery. And those of whom ye seek content (by marrying them), give unto them their portions as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what ye do by mutual agreement after the duty (hath been done). Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise. - Pickthall

and Sunnis interpret the verse as permanent marriage, how do we know who is entirely correct?

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 11:10pm
You did not let me know, what do you believe in ?

It was narrated from �Ali that he heard Ibn �Abbaas permitting mut�ah marriage, and he said, �Wait a minute, O Ibn �Abbaas, for the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade it on the day of Khaybar and (he also forbade) the meat of tame donkeys.�

This hadith is from sahih Muslim.

It was narrated from al-Rabee� ibn Sabrah al-Juhani that his father told him that he was with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who said, �O people, I used to allow you to engage in mut�ah marriages, but now Allah has forbidden that until the Day of Resurrection, so whoever has any wives in a mut�ah marriage, he should let her go and do not take anything of the (money) you have given them.�

Even this hadith is from Sahih Muslim.

This kind of marriage was permitted in those days of conquest of Makkah and later that was because at that time there were so many people who has newly embraced Islam and there was the fear that they might become apostates, because they had been used to committing zinaa during the Jaahiliyyah. So this kind of marriage was permitted for them for three days, then it was made haraam until the Day of Resurrection, as was narrated by Muslim.

Sunnis, follow the interpretations made by sunni scholars. If you are a sunni you can go by it.You have sahih hadiths above as a reminder as well.

Well, now that you know both interpretations, which one do you feel is correct. Ask this question sincerly to yourselves and you shall get the answer. Will a girl ever give her consent for such marriages ?

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
sabah08 View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

You did not let me know, what do you believe in ?

It was narrated from �Ali that he heard Ibn �Abbaas permitting mut�ah marriage, and he said, �Wait a minute, O Ibn �Abbaas, for the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade it on the day of Khaybar and (he also forbade) the meat of tame donkeys.�

This hadith is from sahih Muslim.

It was narrated from al-Rabee� ibn Sabrah al-Juhani that his father told him that he was with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who said, �O people, I used to allow you to engage in mut�ah marriages, but now Allah has forbidden that until the Day of Resurrection, so whoever has any wives in a mut�ah marriage, he should let her go and do not take anything of the (money) you have given them.�

Even this hadith is from Sahih Muslim.

This kind of marriage was permitted in those days of conquest of Makkah and later that was because at that time there were so many people who has newly embraced Islam and there was the fear that they might become apostates, because they had been used to committing zinaa during the Jaahiliyyah. So this kind of marriage was permitted for them for three days, then it was made haraam until the Day of Resurrection, as was narrated by Muslim.

Sunnis, follow the interpretations made by sunni scholars. If you are a sunni you can go by it.You have sahih hadiths above as a reminder as well.

Well, now that you know both interpretations, which one do you feel is correct. Ask this question sincerly to yourselves and you shall get the answer. Will a girl ever give her consent for such marriages ?

Many renowned Shi'i ulama such as Shayk al-Tusi, consider this saying authentic but maintain that Ali was practicing dissimilation (taqiyya) when it was uttered. Since all Muslims agree that mut'a was permitted in the year Mecca was conquered, Ali could not have claimed that mut'a was banned on the Day of Khaybar which was three years prior to Mecca�s conquest.

Although the hadith related by ibn Sabra has been related by many chains of transmitters (isnads), the prominent Shi'i scholar Khu'i points out that they all go back to ibn Sabra himself. Thus, this hadith is known as wahid - deriving from a single Companion. Also, a Qur'anic verse cannot be altered by a strong hadith let alone one that is wahid. According to Shi'is, both of these verses although sahih, do not alter verse 4:24 which sanctifies mut`a.

Actually, mut'a is a pre-Islamic custom practiced by the Arabs.

Since there are valid arguments and counterarguments; both sides have merit.

The women who enter mut'a marriages are faced with a cultural ambivalence; a mut'a wife has less rights and responsibilities towards her husband and intimacy between them is legitimated for a temporary period.

abosait View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 3:21am
Originally posted by sabah08 sabah08 wrote:

[/QUOTE

Abdullah Ibn 'Abbas (r.a.a.) said: "Temporary marriage was at the beginning of Islam. A man comes by a town where he has no acquaintances, so he marries for a fixed time depending on his stay in the town, the woman looks after his provisions and prepares his food, until the verse was revealed: "Except to your wives or what your right hands possess." Ibn 'Abbas explained that any relationship beyond this is forbidden. [narrated by Tirmizy]

As temporary marriage was a custom amongst Arabs in the days of ignorance, it would not have been wise to forbid it except gradually, as is the manner of Islam in removing pre-Islamic customs which were contrary to the interests of people.

It is well established that temporary marriage does not agree with the interests of people because it causes loss to the offspring, uses women for fulfillment of the lusts of men, and belittles the value of a woman whom Allah has honored. So temporary marriage was forbidden.

Edited by abosait - 10 December 2008 at 3:23am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 2:12am

Temporary Marriage seems to me a 'legalised' form of prostitution . . .

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abosait View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Temporary Marriage seems to me a 'legalised' form of prostitution . . .

No forbidden act can have a "legalised" form.

Temporary marriage was prevalant in Arabia in the early days of Islam until a ban was imposed on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic