IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic Clothing?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic Clothing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 11:20am
Salam,

Where are you lacated?

Here some islamic clothing stores you might find that clsoe to your place and take a look.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
flameburns623 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flameburns623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 11:32am
Actually, Hallowe'en is a secular holiday inspired by a pair of Christian festivals--the word means "Eve of All Saints", and is sometimes known as "All Soul's Day".  It is a day commemorating the departed of all kinds, followed on November 1 by a day celebrating those who are the Saints of God. Chirstians have often joined these days of honoring the departed to a festival thanking God for the conclusion of the harvest. (The American Thanksgiving Day is another such festival giving thanks for a successful harvest). Many Protestant Christians also honor October 31st as Reformation Day, the day that Martin Luther reputedly nailed his 95 Theses to the door of the Wittenburg Church.

The pagan festival is called Samhain, and was traditionally celebrated during the FIRST THREE DAYS of the 'Harvest Month'--or, according to the Roman/Christian calendar, the first three days of October. Samhain probably was a way of both celebrating many of the first-fruits of the annual harvests AND a way of beseeching the gods and goddesses for a good conclusion to the harvest. Remember that the foods harvested at the end of the harvest were usually the foods that the farmers would be relying upon to last them through the winter, and to serve as seed for the following year's palnting.

Some of the superstitions and customs of Samhain cleaved to the the festivals of All Soul's Day and All Saint's Day. For example, the notion that restless souls walk the earth on the night of Hallowe'en derive from the old pagan notion that spirits or deities had special power to manifest themselves during the festival of Samhain, and can beleaguer anyone who does not pay those souls tribute. Hence the traditions of dressing children up as goblins and ghosts and sending them door-to-door for "Trick or Treat". Certainly the custom of deliberately honoring gross wickedness (horror films, Satanic motifs, and so forth) are things that Christians should avoid.  

That said, most of the customs of Hallowe'en are innocuous. Costumes and the like are in no wise contrary to the spirit of Christianity; and joy and thankfulness are virtues to which Christians are called at all times. Christianity enjoys festivals and celbrations of all kinds. There is a lot of discussion among Christians as to how or if to celebrate Hallowe'en, but only the most fundamentalist of Christians absolutely proscribe it in all forms.

See the following links:

And by the way--I am not a teenager. I'm approaching 50 years old, in fact.

Edited by flameburns623 - 08 October 2008 at 11:40am
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flameburns623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 11:34am
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

Salam,

Where are you lacated?

Here some islamic clothing stores you might find that clsoe to your place and take a look.

I'm in Illinois, near the City of St. Louis, Missouri.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 2:25pm
I found this, you can call them they might know how you can find it or even
they might carry/sell:

Islamic Center of Greater St. Louis Map It
Mosques
3843 West Pine Street
St. Louis - Missouri - 63108 - USA
(314) 534-9672

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
imp87 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imp87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 3:51pm

I dont know how a modest clothing like an �Islamic� dress fits into the Halloween scene. But I hope that statment �not like a terrorist� was a sincere mistake or joke.  I hope you find the dress your looking for :)

We are as pieces of chess engaged in victory and defeat, our victory and defeat is from thee.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flameburns623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by imp87 imp87 wrote:

I dont know how a modest clothing like an �Islamic� dress fits into the Halloween scene. But I hope that statment �not like a terrorist� was a sincere mistake or joke.  I hope you find the dress your looking for :)

A lot of Americans this year will dress up like Osama bin Laden or like some run-of-the-mill Arab terrorist. That's NOT what I plan to do. I'm just going to dress like an Arab and carry arround a fake plastic oil barrel. The joke being that it is the price of oil that is the 'scary' part. I could dress like a Texan and achieve the same effect, but I've got the Muslim hat so why not go for the whole costume?

People dress up as all kinds of things at Hallowe'en, not always to be scary, often to be funny or silly. People who like Barack Obama will dress up like Obama this year, to honor him in a humorous way. People who DON'T like Barack Obama will dress up like him as well--to mock him. In both cases the purpose would be a bit of political humor. That's my point as well, to show a little humor. I'm not trying to be disrespectful of Islam. I'm not going to carry a Qu'ran around or yell "Allah akbar" or whatever. Mocking the religion of Islam itself would be in bad taste even in a Hallowe'en party where no one present has ever met a Muslim. I'n not gonna do that. Hope that's clear.

Edited by flameburns623 - 08 October 2008 at 6:18pm
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:43pm
Flameburn this is a st**id idea and I'll tell you why.

The presumption of wearing Islamic dress especially since Islam along with Muslims or anything associated with Islam carries a negative connotation to it, you'll just perpetuate a common stereotype. I mean to associate anything with Islam such as the common garbs worn by Middle Easterners will only make it all the more insulting.
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:15am
"or like some run-of-the-mill Arab terrorist."

I'm not sure I know what these look like. I guess I can drive around on Halloween to be enlightened?

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 09 October 2008 at 10:16am
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic