IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic Clothing?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic Clothing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flameburns623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islamic Clothing?
    Posted: 07 October 2008 at 4:58pm
Hi, Folks!

I'm planning on dressing as a Muslim for Hallowe'en. (No, not as a terrorist, just as someone from an Islamic country). I've found sites for a dishdasha and a Jalabiya. Apparently, the dishdasha is something of an undergarment (although it can be worn as outerwear around the house); and the Jalabiya is worn as outerwear in public. Yes? No?

Anyhow--how long should these garments be? I'm 6'00", and it looks as if my shoulder height is about 58" to 60". Should the garments be worn all the way down to the ankle, 'breaking' at the foot? Or should they be slightly longer, brushing the ground. (I am assuming they aren't properly worn short enough to expose the ankle or the calf?) I've only seen these garments on TV so sorry--I just don't know what they're supposed to look like.

Thanks for any advice!
JihadX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JihadX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 5:39pm
As Salamu Alaikum!!
I am doing the same but I am indeed Muslim. I will wear my Dishasha and Keffiyeh in school. With all the hatred for muslims in the west it will be sort of an disguise because everyone will be dresing different. I wear dishasha now on weekends and whenever i go to Masjid. I think wearing it in school will be fun. I am also 6'0 and I wear it to the ankle. i know that this is acceptable. If you are not muslim i think that you shouldn't over do it because it makes me angry to see a christian or an individual of another religion wearing keffiyeh especially.
�The knife that slaughtered the guards at Bagram and set us free is now on its way to other places,�
_ The Mujahid, The Eminent, Sheikh Abu Yahya Al Libi
flameburns623 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flameburns623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 8:17pm
Here are the items I'm thinking of getting, just so that you know what I mean when I refer to 'Islamic clothing':

Hope that clarifies things. As I say, these are just intended as a Hallowe'en outfit, to go along with the 'Islamic' hat ( a round thing with a flat top--don't know what it is called, sorry) that I bought in a thrift store for .75 cents
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 8:57pm
Is this a joke?
flameburns623 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flameburns623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 9:02pm
No.

Why would you think it was?
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 9:04am
Originally posted by JihadX JihadX wrote:

As Salamu Alaikum!!
 If you are not muslim i think that you shouldn't over do it because it makes me angry to see a christian or an individual of another religion wearing keffiyeh especially.

Why? Why should that make you angry? Perhaps because you want to be different, and the only one doing so? Do you own the islamic dress code? Btw, the clothes u describe are culturally/traditionally arabic. An Indian sherwani, or Pakistani shalwar qameez can be just as 'islamic'.

I would be happy to see a non-muslim sister wear a hijab, even if shes 'trying' it out. How do you know if perhaps looking into and trying 'islamic' clothing might actually be a stepping stone towards faith?

One should not say things like that. Rather, if your classmates are interested in your clothing, no harm in telling them about it and reccommending it . . . Muslims are supposed to be easy-going, friendly ppl. And we dont 'own' islam . . .everyone has a right to benefit from it, try it out.

As long as nobody is using Islamic symbols (such as dress) to malign Islam, or make fun of it, etc - no harm in anyone trying it.

Sorry if I sounded rude/harsh . . .I didnt mean to. Just wanted to make a point.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:46am

I think they're teens. Par for the course.

I thought taking part in pagan festivals was haram.  I think he/she gets angry 'cause it might seem like mockery of something precious to him/her. Understandable to a degree.

Samhain is an old Celtic festival. So you're all gonna burn in hell for even thinking to celebrate it ;-)

The town were I live has had one of the biggest Halloween celebrations in Europe for about ten years. I dress up as a hen and lay eggs.  The mind boggles.  LOL ;-)

http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventions/a/Samhain.htm

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:50am
Yes, Thanks for pointing that out Gulliver . . . Halloween is a pagan festival that both Muslims and Christians alike should not be celebrating.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic