IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic Clothing?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic Clothing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islamic Clothing?
    Posted: 22 November 2014 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Yes, Thanks for pointing that out Gulliver . . . Halloween is a pagan festival that both Muslims and Christians alike should not be celebrating.

All monotheistic religions have incorporated plenty of pagan symbols and rituals.

Wikipedia: "The word Halloween or Hallowe'en dates to about 1745 and is of Christian origin. The word "Halloween" means "hallowed evening" or "holy evening". It comes from a Scottish term for All Hallows' Eve (the evening before All Hallows' Day)."

Halloween is a fun thing especially for children and not taking part in it for religious reasons shows a narrow-minded attitude.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 1:54am
First of all since u said halloween is secular holiday, Allah in ch 3 v 19 of Quran says islam is the only religion acceptable to Allah.there is no need to wear anything relating to secularism.i live in india and after understanding Quran I don't parricipate in festivals like dussehera, diwali etc.
oldhippie View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldhippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2014 at 8:08am
I wear dishdasha all the time and I wish to remain in dishdasha.
is it possible to vow to remain in dishdasha ?
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:24am
El Dia De Los Muertos

You may wanna translate that. for those of you that don't know spanish it means "The day of the dead."
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 11:09pm

Salaams...Peace be to you

Sure it may not be cool to dress as a muslim if you are not one.
I think it is kind of you to even ask if it would be OK...That show that you are thoughtful and courteous...
As for participating in Halloween, no thank you!
In Mexico, it is associated with El Dia De Los Muertos, a festival that goes for 3 days. A lot of calaveras, if you look at these web pages you can see where some of the influence for halloween came from

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Flameburn this is a st**id idea and I'll tell you why.

The presumption of wearing Islamic dress especially since Islam along with Muslims or anything associated with Islam carries a negative connotation to it, you'll just perpetuate a common stereotype. I mean to associate anything with Islam such as the common garbs worn by Middle Easterners will only make it all the more insulting.

I agree with Israfil.

Flameburn, I have to ask: Why?
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by flameburns623 flameburns623 wrote:

There is a lot of discussion among Christians as to how or if to celebrate Hallowe'en, but only the most fundamentalist of Christians absolutely proscribe it in all forms.

Hmm. So shouldnt all Christians try and be fundamentalists? i.e. follow the fundamentals.

Also, Halloween has no christian roots whatsoever. It has 'pagan' origination. It is not related to the 'All Saints Day' it simply precedes it, i.e. occurs in the same duration, rather before it. Both are not linked. Its just a pagan festival that happens to occur before the Christian festival. 

MSN Encarta:

Hallowe'en, name applied to the evening of October 31, preceding the Christian feast of Hallowmas, Allhallows, or All Saints' Day. The observances connected with Hallowe'en are thought to have originated among the ancient Druids, who believed that on that evening, Saman, the lord of the dead, called forth hosts of evil spirits. The Druids customarily lit great fires on Hallowe'en, apparently for the purpose of warding off all these spirits. Among the ancient Celts, Hallowe'en was the last evening of the year and was regarded as a propitious time for examining the portents of the future. The Celts also believed that the spirits of the dead revisited their earthly homes on that evening. After the Romans conquered Britain, they added to Hallowe'en features of the Roman harvest festival held on November 1 in honour of Pomona, goddess of the fruits of trees.

So, yea it is all about how spirits/dead return. . . and was also in honour of pagan gods.

Edited by Chrysalis - 09 October 2008 at 11:08pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:15am
"or like some run-of-the-mill Arab terrorist."

I'm not sure I know what these look like. I guess I can drive around on Halloween to be enlightened?

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 09 October 2008 at 10:16am
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic