IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Recommend a biography of Muhammad?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend a biography of Muhammad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend a biography of Muhammad?
    Posted: 03 October 2008 at 7:20pm

Can anyone please recommend a good biography of Muhammad?  I'm looking for something that tells the story as accurately as possible and in a way that Muslims would find acceptable.  Preferably a source that is available on the Internet (either a Web site or a public domain text such as something on Project Gutenberg).  If you recommend a printed book, I could look for it at my public library but the odds of finding it are slim.

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 9:21am

Hi

The Sealed Nectar by Saif-ur-Rahman Al-Mubarakpuri is a good I would highly recommend.

I hope you can get it online.
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 9:22am
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 11:15am
Thanks Alwardah!  I'll load it on my PDA.

P.S.: Wikipedia says, "The revised edition of the book consists of just less than 600 pages."  Ouch!  I'm not saying I won't read it, but is there a "Coles Notes" version?  It'll be a while before I have time for a six hundred page book...Shocked

Edited by Ron Webb - 04 October 2008 at 11:21am
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 6:18am
Hi Rob

Take you time...........600 pages is a lot but it will be worthwhile in the end.

Peace
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 10:26am

Assalamu alaikum

Brother webb.

The website site provided by Alwardah is worth exploring for from the contents of the Book you may be satisfied. But precisely what are you looking for in the biography of the holy Prophet? Are you fully conversant with what the Bible says on Prophet Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus? You see these Prophets were also mentioned in the holy Qur�an. Have you ever read the commentary of the Bible by Reverend Matthew Henry? Understanding the biography of Muhammad begins by understanding his relationship with on what was revealed before him. Imagine Allah saying to him, �So if you (Muhammad) are in doubt concerning that which We have revealed unto you, then ask those who are reading the Book (OT and NT) before you. Verily, the truth has come to you from your Lord. So be not of those who doubt (it)�. Allah warned him not to say anything about the OT and NT, �And be not of those who belie the Ayat of Allah, for then you shall be one of the losers�. You will understand now what Muhammad in reality came to do. He did not come to quarrel argue or fight the Children of Israel. Now if you understood what was revealed to Muhammad on these Prophets, then you move to Madina to understand the Shari�a. You will find that the Shari�a was influenced by the Children of Israel, for after they were banished from Madina in the 6th year to Khybar after the Hijra, the tone of revelation changed to dealing with hypocrites and disbelievers.  You have to buy a lot of books like his life history by Martin ling, A. Guillaume, Haykal, Edi and Sulayman, Abul Hasan Ali.

Wishing you best luck.

FriendshipFriendship.

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 5:41pm

Originally posted by Friendship Friendship wrote:

The website site provided by Alwardah is worth exploring for from the contents of the Book you may be satisfied. But precisely what are you looking for in the biography of the holy Prophet?

I have just finished reading a biography of Muhammad that paints a very unflattering picture, to say the least.  I want to read the Muslim side of the story.

But surely there is a less daunting source than the Sealed Nectar?

Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 1:00am
Assalamu alaikum.
Brother Webb.

I have written a small book just over 200 pages about Muhammad. It is now going edition and I am reviewing it. If need your email to send the following sections to you:
1. The Madina covenant.
2. Muhammad and the followers of Jesus .
3. The Shari'a of Muhammad.
4. Islam after Muhammad.
5. Conclusion.
If you want to contribute, you can edit the book and find a market for it in your place. I need someone with a better grasp of English lnguage. I am a scientist by profession.
Friendship.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic