IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Leaving Islam Punishable by Death?...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaving Islam Punishable by Death?...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverArrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaving Islam Punishable by Death?...
    Posted: 12 September 2008 at 10:34pm
Dear All,

I am in process to study Islam very seriously.
Right now I am studying the 40 Hadiths.
I come to read about the Hadith no 14.

Basically this Hadith says:
- If a person is Muslim and then leaves Islam out of his own conscience for other spiritual path is considered treason and harmful to Uma and society. Based on this kind of thinking that person is punishable by death.

In my view, this is very harming to Islam and is not respecting a basic tenet of Islam which says that the religion is NOT COMPULSORY.
As long that the person which leaves Islam remains a perfectly good person, helpful and caring to others why this person should be condemned and killed for his own conviction to leave Islam for another spiritual path?

Could you elaborate on this subject?

Thanks,
Alex

Unhappy
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 12:10am
 There are many variety of 40 Hadith. It is a general belief of all Muslims that apostacy is punishable by death. That is not according to Quran. It may be according to Hadith only.

Any Capital punishment cannot be based on the Hadith only.
H3OO View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H3OO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 11:53pm
apostacy is punishable by death in islam only if the apostate wages a war, fights against the muslims, becomes hostile towards islam.

so basically such a person who has become an apostate is not punishable  because of apostacy but bcz of his reversion to enemy status where he tries to harm the muslims/islam.

Edited by H3OO - 13 September 2008 at 11:59pm
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 5:46am
Originally posted by H3OO H3OO wrote:

apostacy is punishable by death in islam only if the apostate wages a war, fights against the muslims, becomes hostile towards islam.

so basically such a person who has become an apostate is not punishable  because of apostacy but bcz of his reversion to enemy status where he tries to harm the muslims/islam.

Right. I agree bro/sis. In more than 40 years of my life as a Muslim, I had never come across a murtad (ex-Muslim) being killed for apostasy.

Many times I had come across this question by non-Muslim. They are oblivious of the numerous good aspects of Islam that is beneficial for humankind. This question I believe is to deter other non-Muslim from coming close to Islam.
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 10:37am
Does it depend on which sect you join? And where you live?

According to this verse Allah will not forgive you, even if you repent. 

YUSUFALI: But those who reject Faith after they accepted it, and then go on adding to their defiance of Faith,- never will their repentance be accepted; for they are those who have (of set purpose) gone astray.
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who disbelieve after their (profession of) belief, and afterward grow violent in disbelief: their repentance will not be accepted. And such are those who are astray.
SHAKIR: Surely, those who disbelieve a,fter their believing, then increase in unbelief, their repentance shall not be accepted, and these are they that go astray.

YUSUFALI: Any one who, after accepting faith in Allah, utters Unbelief,- except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith - but such as open their breast to Unbelief, on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs will be a dreadful Penalty.
PICKTHAL: Whoso disbelieveth in Allah after his belief - save him who is forced thereto and whose heart is still content with the Faith - but whoso findeth ease in disbelief: On them is wrath from Allah. Theirs will be an awful doom.
SHAKIR: He who disbelieves in Allah after his having believed, not he who is compelled while his heart is at rest on account of faith, but he who opens (his) breast to disbelief-- on these is the wrath of Allah, and they shall have a grievous chastisement.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
SilverArrow View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverArrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 12:11pm
Hello,

Obviously, you are not reading my email properly.
I didn't posted this email having a hidden agenda.
I am simply studying Islam and I CONSIDER IT FOR CONVERSION.

I hope this will wash away any doubt you may have.

All the best,
Alex

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by H3OO H3OO wrote:

Where in the Quran or the hadith do you find that distinction?  Muhammad himself was unequivocal: "Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him." (Bukhari, volume 9, book 84, no. 57) http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/084.sbt.html
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 9:53pm

Does it mean that the prophet ordered some serious thing which was not revealed to him. And his order was to kill any one who changed his religion? That could mean any christian who changed his religion and became muslim should also be killed?

The sentence you have quoted seems to say "Kill any one who chnages his religion". That is short and blunt sentence. Anyhow, it is being based on some Hadith and there is nothing in the Quran which says "There is no compulsion in the matters of (any) religion"  (2:256). So the quoted Hadith would be going against the important verse of Quran.

Also at other places in the Quran, it is stated that "right way has been well explained in comparison with the wrong way. So Let every one believe or reject" (something to that effect)..

Edited by minuteman - 14 September 2008 at 9:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic