IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Youths  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Youths

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iftikhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Youths
    Posted: 19 August 2008 at 2:19pm

Muslim Youths

Muslim youths are angry, frustrated and extremist because they have been mis-educated and de-educated by the British schooling. Muslim children are confused because they are being educated in a wrong place at a wrong time in state schools with non-Muslim monolingual teachers.  They face lots of problems of growing up in two distinctive cultural traditions and value systems, which may come into conflict over issues such as the role of women in the society, and adherence to religious and cultural traditions. The conflicting demands made by home and schools on behaviour, loyalties and obligations can be a source of psychological conflict and tension in Muslim youngsters. There are also the issues of racial prejudice and discrimination to deal with, in education and employment. They have been victim of racism and bullying in all walks of life. According to DCSF, 56% of Pakistanis and 54% of Bangladeshi children has been victims of bullies. The first wave of Muslim migrants were happy to send their children to state schools, thinking their children would get a much better education. Than little by little, the overt and covert discrimination in the system turned them off.  There are fifteen areas where Muslim parents find themselves offended by state schools.

The right to education in one�s own comfort zone is a fundamental and inalienable human right that should be available to all people irrespective of their ethnicity or religious background. Schools do not belong to state, they belong to parents. It is the parents� choice to have faith schools for their children. Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim teacher or a child in a Muslim school. There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools. An ICM Poll of British Muslims showed that nearly half wanted their children to attend Muslim schools. There are only 143 Muslim schools. A state funded Muslim school in Birmingham has 220 pupils and more than 1000 applicants chasing just 60.

Majority of anti-Muslim stories are not about terrorism but about Muslim
culture--the hijab, Muslim schools, family life and religiosity. Muslims in the west ought to be recognised as a western community, not as an alien culture.
Iftikhar Ahmad

www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk
Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 11:20am
The prescription for decreasing radicalization is economic prosperity.  It's not the whole solution to the problem, but chaotic situations in society benefit the have nots.  However, if you give the have nots properity, the idea of creating chaotic situations is harmful to their own intersts.

If I was a poor Muslim teenager with very few job prospects, I would be ripe target for radicalization because I want to change society.  If I was a Muslim teenager with a future in Univeristy or my own small business, I wouldn't want to cause any calamities which would prevent me from achieving my goals. 

Edited by Megatron - 14 September 2008 at 11:20am
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 12:55pm
Well look at the link it says it all. The blame is everyone else but the individual. So I'm pissed because schools don't value my faith and culture.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Iftikhar Iftikhar wrote:

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim teacher or a child in a Muslim school.

If it is State funded, what role other than providing funding would the State play? 
Iftikhar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iftikhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2008 at 9:13am

London School of Islamics is an educational Trust. Its aim is to make
British public, institutions and media aware of the needs and demands of the
Muslim community in the field of education and possible solutions.

The demand for state funded Muslim schools is in accordance with the law of
the land.

I do not blame the parents, Imams and Masajid for the plight of the Muslim
youths. All Muslim youths suffer from identity crises because they find
themselves cut off from their cultural roots, literature and poetry. All of
them lack self-confidence and self-esteem. British education has made them
st**id. They have become economic slaves of the British society. They do not
know where they belong. They are unable to enjoy the beauty of their
literature and poetry. A man is a product of his culture, language and
faith. They go hand in hand.

The solution of all the problems is state funded Muslim schools with
bilingual Muslim teachers as role models right from nursery classes. The
Charter of Islam teaches true tolerance and equality and indeed is more
acceptable to all people of the world than the United Nation Human Rights
Charter. Islam does not just mean a beard, a cap and a bunch of
self-interpreted fatwas.

Accoding to a research by Goldsmiths, university of London, bilingual
learning can provide substantial benefits for second and third generation
children whose families speak a language other than English. Even when
children have grown up in the UK with English as their stronger
language,using both languages aids cognitive development and strengthens
their identity as learners. It is crucial that schools support c hildren's
mother tongue through bilingual learning activities connected with the
mainstream curriculum. Now Primary National Strategy recognises the value of
bilingualism and promotes early language learning. Policy makers need to
encourage good practice in schools, otherwise, the potential benefits of
bilingual leaning will be lost to future generations.

The research also discovered that many second and third generation children
are in danger of losing these skills if they do not  have opportunities to
develop their mother tongue through academic work at school. Bilingual
children who learn in their family's  language as well as English do better
at school. It is very important that parents continue to talk to their
children in their first language.

It is absurd to say that Muslim schools threaten the social cohesion of the
nation. Diversity is a blessing and we should feel proud of diversity. The
real threat to social cohesiondoes nt come from Muslim parents but from
government that seeks to force these parents to conform with the state's
ideas about how and what their children should be taught. There is no
evidence that Muslim schools are undermining social cohesion.

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2008 at 11:01am

The real threat to social cohesiondoes nt come from Muslim parents but from
government that seeks to force these parents to conform with the state's
ideas about how and what their children should be taught. There is no
evidence that Muslim schools are undermining social cohesion.

Given that the government is paying the bill seems realistic they would have ideas about how and what students are taught.

Edited by abuayisha - 23 September 2008 at 11:01am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 9:56am

. There is no place for a non-Muslim teacher or a child in a Muslim school.

Prophet Muhammad did not have a problem with nonmuslim teachers teaching muslim students. So why do we?

I remember reading in Islamiyat back in middle school, that after a war, the 'ransom/bail' of the non-muslim POWs was to teach 10 muslim children . . .after which they would be released.

The teacher should be the one most qualified, and knowledgable . . . if it is a Muslim, subhanallah . . . if its not . . .then a non-muslim is the better option. As long as you are not teaching religion.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
ops155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ops155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 2:33pm
"The right to education in one�s own comfort zone is a fundamental and inalienable human right that should be available to all people irrespective of their ethnicity or religious background. Schools do not belong to state, they belong to parents."

Wrong, it is a state school and the state has a say in what the students learn based off the requirements the states set. If you are wanting a Muslim teacher teaching Islamic teachings then maybe you should send your child to a private school. As long as everyone's tax money is going to that public school then religion should have nothing to say about it. That is what the private schools are meant for.

Would you have a problem with your tax dollars going to a catholic school that its teachings are based off what the parents want taught if they are the majority in the school? What if the majority of parents want the teachings to reflect that Islam teaches evil? True or not it is the same thing you are asking for. How about the athiest? Should they get their own school that is paid by your tax dollars?

Edited by ops155 - 26 November 2008 at 2:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic