IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - About Islamic TV  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

About Islamic TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syah08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Islamic TV
    Posted: 14 August 2008 at 11:50pm
In recent time, I have find that almost all of tv channels presented programs that's not suitable for every muslim. I'm living in muslim society, so i want to know how can our brother / sister who live in non muslim society can reduce it's impact to his or her family? anyone would  share to me?  
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2008 at 3:26pm

Put the TV in the family room, and do not allow kids to watch TV unsupervised.

Never let kids/or teens have a TV in thier own room. Not only bcz of unsuitability, but 'cz they're bound to waste thier time watching TV 24hrs.

Same goes for the computer, keep it in a public/family area.

Use Channel-Blocking.

Instill hobbies/liking for other sorts of entertainment in kids such as sports/activities/arts n crafts/keeping pets/ reading books etc etc.

Complete banning of the TV can also have its adverse effects, there needs to be a balance.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 8:49am
Wa alaykum salaam warahamatullah wabarakatuh

If you may know,besides our deen,the issue of children,families&the influence of the screen is a serious one.So much so that Researchers have advised parents to monitor their children,regulate the times they watch T.V&know what they do on the Internet.
A Research even said 'obesity' in children(US) has been linked to spending too much time on the T.V.So,even considering health issues,it is not so healthy to be stuck to the chair all day long or even for most part of the day watching T.V.It also hinders them from learning about their outdoor,like seeing and appreciating nature,a walk by the park, a visit to the Zoo and so on.
So,I agree with sis.Chrysalis'bout the point she raised on not putting T.V in the children's room.And I also believe we can curb how much we watch T.V by switching it off for sometime.
it may interest you to know that some people(Muslims&non alike) do not even have a TV in their homes for these same reasons.

May Allah help us&grant us the will to do what's right.

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 7:11am
Y'know what, we didnt have cable in our house, until I was in my o'levs, even tho cable was rampant in Pakistan by the time I was in 5th grade. Not that my dad was an extremist or technophobe(cz we got our comp/internet vry early - even when we didnt hav cable!). Cz my parents didnt want us to bcom TV-addicts. Instead our parents encourages sports, reading, pets etc.

We used to have 3 channels- which were all national channels :p which had allotted times for cartoons, movies, documentaries etc. And since the censorboard did its job, our parents never had to worry abt PG ratings. Any good movies for kids/worth watching - our dad would get us , every weekend, sooner during vacations - depending on our behaviour :D

Freedom of choice should be controlled by parents until a certain age- by then morals and ethics set in. Then the parents can leave the rest to Allah.

I remember waiting for Nat Geo documentaries on Sundays. But we were extremely happy with the arrangement. We got cable Post 9-11 for the news. . . and even then, my dad would object to us watching TV non-stop for hours!

He also objects to my forums at times (if i sit too long in a row), Tongue when he sees me glued to the comp, so even now... yea! parents pretty much rule the roost! heh heh.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 3:22am
Your dad did a great work,masha Allahu.That's  not very common these days as even parents sometimes prefer kids to 'watch' tv in order for them to have time for other things.I admit it's a onerous task.But one needs to think of the long term effect&take the bull by the horn.
I really comment your father for being principled.

I pray that insha Allahu,my intentions&plans work that way with my kids.
"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic