IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Abrogation?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abrogation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2008 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Hence people suggest, that because the later verse speaks only of expiation by a replacement fast, and does not mention 'feeding a needy' . . . the previous verse is abrogated.
The previous verse??  I totally agree, it makes no sense whatsoever for Allah to reveal a verse and then change His mind, literally in the next breath! (assuming Allah breathes Smile)

I await other examples with interest...
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2008 at 2:40pm
One of the examples of 'alleged' abrogations is Surah Baqarah, verse 184. I later edited my post to include it.

Verse 184 says that in expiation of missing a fast, a who can afford it, should feed a person in need, for every fast missed/or should make up a replacement fast. The verse mentions both the sick, and those on a journey.

Later in verse 185 :
[Pickthal 2:185] The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desireth for you ease; He desireth not hardship for you; and (He desireth) that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful.

Hence people suggest, that because the later verse speaks only of expiation by a replacement fast, and does not mention 'feeding a needy' . . . the previous verse is abrogated.

However, others (such as Ibn Abbas) are of the view (which I agree with) that the second verse is not an abrogation. And that the previous verse is still applicable to the elderly and sick - who are in a fragile state that does not allow them to make up fasts, even later. Thus, if they can afford it, they should feed the needy.

Despite talking about feeding the needy, Allah still says in Verse 184, that 'if ye fast is better for you if ye did but know' . . . it sets the grounds for the next verse, verse 185 that says 'let him fast the month'. Just because Allah did not repeat something He already mentioned in the previous verse (i.e. feeding the needy) does not mean that part got abrogated. And still applies to those who cannot fast at all.

Verse 185 ends by saying 'He does not desire for you difficulty, and (He desires) that you should complete the number'

Which means Allah wishes us to fast - yet does not desire difficulty on us.

Hence, as long as it is not a difficulty (i.e. person is not sick) , he should complete the number - rather than going for the first option of feeding the needy. But is the person has a difficulty, that Allah does not desire,  and cannot make up fasts - he should feed the poor.

What is abrogative about it?
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2008 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Sister you as an unqualified person have no say in the matter, i am not presenting my personal views here but that of the madhhabs.
If "Islam for non-Muslins" is restricted to "qualified persons", maybe I should have posted my question in a different section.  I am very interested to hear as many personal views as possible, in addition to scholarly opinions.

I also didn't realize this was going to be a contentious question.  Abrogation is certainly used by anti-Muslims as the basis for all sorts of attacks against Islam, but I thought there would be a straightforward answer here.  I hope my question does not create hostility.

It would help me to understand if those who believe in abrogation would provide some specific examples.  What verses have been abrogated, and which "better" verses replace them?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2008 at 1:46pm
Quote  : "Ibn Umar Radhi Allahu `anhuma recited (surat ul baqarah 184) and said: This is mansookh"

Verse 184 of Surah Baqarah:
[Pickthal 2:184] (Fast) a certain number of days; and (for) him who is sick among you, or on a journey, (the same) number of other days; and for those who can afford it there is a ransom: the feeding of a man in need - but whoso doeth good of his own accord, it is better for him: and that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know" -

This is what I found in response:

Sahih Al-Bukhari, Hadith 6.34:

"Narrated Ata: That he heard Ibn `Abbas reciting the Divine Verse:-- ""And for those who can fast they had a choice either fast, or feed a poor for every day.."" (2.184) Ibn `Abbas said, ""This Verse is not abrogated, but it is meant for old men and old women who have no strength to fast, so they should feed one poor person for each day of fasting (instead of fasting)."

[Pickthal 17:36] "(O man), follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge. Lo! the hearing and the sight and the heart - of each of these it will be asked."

As an unqualified person, it is all the more incumbent upon me to question what I am told . . . and verify it. The difference b/w Islam and 'clerical' religions is that, an average person does have a say in the matter.

Like Ron mentioned,
[Pickthal 2:106]" Nothing of our revelation (even a single verse) do we abrogate or cause be forgotten, but we bring (in place) one better or the like thereof. Knowest thou not that Allah is Able to do all things?"

This verse is referring to previous scriptures, i.e. Torah, Injeel, Zaboor. . . in the place of which Allah revealed the Qur'an, better and similar. . . and even for that Allah says 'nothing of our revelation do we abrogate'.

Edited by Chrysalis - 16 August 2008 at 2:15pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 9:27pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheen

when the argument is presented that the hanafi and shafii madhhab hold such a belief you as an individual no longer have the luxury of calling the issue a story.

A simple question br, do you fail to see the significance of the hadith found in sahih bukhari of ibn umar?

i quoted the arabic so if you cant read it it literally says "mansookh".

Edited by rami - 15 August 2008 at 9:31pm
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 9:19pm

Please indicate one or two verses of the Quran which are now abrogated, which stand abrogated. Then this matter will be discussed in some detail. Until then nobody will believe the abrogation story.  The Madhahib may have discussed the subject of abrogation  and I have myself read one book (long ago) on this subject by Ibne Hazm r.a.

Let us see even one verse which is in the Quran and considered abrogated. Thanks. And let us not get hot when discussing this sensitive subject. It is of the prime importance for all of us. So go gently over it. More thanks in advance.

Edited by minuteman - 15 August 2008 at 9:20pm
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 8:25pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Rami:

Are you suggesting to Ron, that indeed certain verses have been abrogated? The Nasih, Mansukh etc can be applied to ahadith or even other matters of fiqh . . . But not the Qur'an.

Sister you as an unqualified person have no say in the matter, i am not presenting my personal views here but that of the madhhabs. The article clearly states that the Hanafi madhhab as well as the shafii madhhab and by extension the maliki as well as the hanbali [since as the article points out Imam shafii was the "father" of jurisprudence, although the opinions of the later two need to be confirmed] all believed this was the case but differed on its applicability.

Essentially its a matter of history now not personnel opinion. The article even points out the sahabah themselves believed this was the case...

"A text search in Sahih Bukhari turned this up:
حدثنا عياش: حدثنا عبد الأعلى: حدثنا عبيد الله، عن نافع، عن ابن عمر رضي الله عنهما:
قرأ: {فدية طعام مسكين}. قال: هي منسوخة
Ibn Umar Radhi Allahu `anhuma recited (surat ul baqarah 184) and said: This is mansookh" [i didnt do the search].

Quote For e.g Mutah . . . it was practiced by certain ppl during Prophet Muhammad's time, and until Allah revealed anything about it - he remained silent. But later, Mutah was abolished i.e. abrogated. This cannot be said about Quranic verses.

Why?

i think the only issue here is your perception of it being some sort of weakness or evidence of fallibility, its no more so than allah commanding something in the Bible or Torah then abrogating it in the Quran. Did he make a mistake? couldn't he make up his mind the first time around?....etc

authubillah.

The Quran isnt simply a book and you need to understand that sister, you are objectifying the issue rather than looking at it's reality.

Quote Like Minuteman correctly gives the e.g of Alcohol . . . all 3 verses are still just as valid, and do not at all contradict.

This is only your assumption that abrogation means contradiction, when you look at the reality of what was occurring on the ground [as the military adage goes] it is a totally different picture.

Quote In one place, Allah asks us to stay away from Alcohol - that is the preferred scenario. But does that mean no muslim will ever get drunk? No . . . which is why, the other verse still applies i.e. even if you are drunk, atleast do not approach prayer.

Sister you know as well as i do that the context of the verse 'do not approach prayer while drunk' was prior to alcohol being banned and clearly implied you can still drink, then latter on Allah said dont drink at all, yes it is still valid and applicable [in terms of the wisdom and knowledge it contains] no one is arguing that but it isnt simply a matter of Allah contradicting himself he was taking people away from something not good for them step by step similar to how alcoholism is treated today.

That is the reality on the ground, you have to see it as if Allah is talking to the people and helping them not some words in a book.

Quote What you have said about the Quran bieng revealed in parts is correct, that was to allow ppl to make an easy, gradual transition . . . but strictly speaking in terms of the Quran, one cannot say that verses abrogate each other. (abrogate = annulment, abolition, cancellation)

well we can discuss the use of the word abrogation to represent naskh wa mansukh and say something is lost in translation i wont argue with you there since it is generally the case with all phrases being translated into English but naskh does exist although in the arabic sense Smile

Quote PS: Since one is explaining to a non-muslim, I dont think going into detailed explanations like 'Hanafi Madhab' etc helps much. Its like, explaining astro-physics to a Marketing student. An exaggerated analogy, I agree. . . but u get my point. I think what Non-Muslims want to know through this question is whether or not they can deduce that the Quran has loopholes etc. Also, I appreciate the article you posted, but it can be tedious at times to go thru a lengthy document, esp when one is short of time, yet still wishes to know the crux. It would be nice if you could in a para or two just give the crux of the article . However, its very helpful to have the original doc/link there, for authencity/references sake . . . so do post a link. Jazakallah.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the matter usually people just scream and shout at you here LOL

I agree the article is in depth but i dont doubt ron's intellectual capacity to understand most of it, i wouldn't have posted this had i thought he wasn't an educated person. Also i think there is far to much dumbing down of Islam to the point where the dumbed down version people are now claiming is the norm and no one is being exposed to its real depth, so even if people don't understand this they should at least see that Islamic scholarship has real depth and isn't as simplistic as 'this hadith said this' ergo Islam says what the hadith says and everyone is capable of deducing fatwah from the quran and sunnah.

You also could have waited untill you had time to read it LOL

Edited by rami - 15 August 2008 at 8:34pm
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 6:10am
Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

Br there is a difference of opinion among some scholar as to whether these verses actually abrogate other verses. And there certainly is an Islamic science about this matter so denying that it even exists is ridiculous.

I dont know accurate this is in presenting the views of the hanafi madhhab, its opinionated and draws many conclusions about the significance [or otherwise] of various subject matter rather than simply prsenting facts or events....but the point is made i think.

Rami:

Are you suggesting to Ron, that indeed certain verses have been abrogated? The Nasih, Mansukh etc can be applied to ahadith or even other matters of fiqh . . . But not the Qur'an.

For e.g Mutah . . . it was practiced by certain ppl during Prophet Muhammad's time, and until Allah revealed anything about it - he remained silent. But later, Mutah was abolished i.e. abrogated. This cannot be said about Quranic verses.

Like Minuteman correctly gives the e.g of Alcohol . . . all 3 verses are still just as valid, and do not at all contradict. In one place, Allah asks us to stay away from Alcohol - that is the preferred scenario. But does that mean no muslim will ever get drunk? No . . . which is why, the other verse still applies i.e. even if you are drunk, atleast do not approach prayer. No abrogation here. . . just 2 verses about Alcohol, essentially saying the same thing . . . but in different scenarios.

What you have said about the Quran bieng revealed in parts is correct, that was to allow ppl to make an easy, gradual transition . . . but strictly speaking in terms of the Quran, one cannot say that verses abrogate each other. (abrogate = annulment, abolition, cancellation)

PS: Since one is explaining to a non-muslim, I dont think going into detailed explanations like 'Hanafi Madhab' etc helps much. Its like, explaining astro-physics to a Marketing student. An exaggerated analogy, I agree. . . but u get my point. I think what Non-Muslims want to know through this question is whether or not they can deduce that the Quran has loopholes etc. Also, I appreciate the article you posted, but it can be tedious at times to go thru a lengthy document, esp when one is short of time, yet still wishes to know the crux. It would be nice if you could in a para or two just give the crux of the article . However, its very helpful to have the original doc/link there, for authencity/references sake . . . so do post a link. Jazakallah.

Edited by Chrysalis - 15 August 2008 at 6:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic