IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the niqab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the niqab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna1407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the niqab
    Posted: 02 August 2008 at 7:36pm
hello everyone and Salamaleikum,

I live in the U.S. AND I have been having a bitter battle in my heart about whether or not to continue to wear the niqab due to discriminatio reasons, being unsuccessful of finding a job that might hire me, and little support from fellow Muslims. I also have some questions now regarding the niqab. Is it really Sunnah (that's what I was taught)?, If the Prophet wives and close female companions wore it shouldn't it be important or even obligated becuase of example?, and Has any other religions or cultures wore the niqab? I've really been down lately about the little support and mockery I've received from me wearing it so please no critisism. I would espcially like to hear from some niqabi sisters who may be able to give me some information or even better some encouragement. I hope to hear from someone soon Insh'Allah. Asalamaleikum.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 8:02pm
As'Salamu Alaikum

Sister, if you feel like to wear it, just wear it. I know many sisters, who were niqabs there.

Before going into discussions, i wish to you to directly go thru the verses of Qur'an which deal with hijab, rather than looking at cultures. Can you kindly go thru english- arabic dictionary,  and check out the meanings and translation of the words, "Juyub" and "khimar" and then go to the verse again.

There's differences of opinions. . I wish you to go thru the meaning of those verses direct from dictionary, instead of translations. Arabic words are root words, and have many meanings. Insha Allah, you shall  be decisive after going thru them.

Also go thru this

one

Edited by seekshidayath - 04 August 2008 at 8:13pm
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2008 at 12:48am

As Salamu Alaikum

Welcome to the Forum

Regarding the issue of Niqab (face veil), the scholars have different opinions and the majority say that it is not a Fardh��.so if you are having problems, it is okay not to wear it however Hijab is completely different and it is Fardh for a women to cover herself  completely modestly.

Insha Allah you understand there is a difference.

Regarding your situation only sisters in the US can advise you what is best.

May Allah make it easy for you to make the right decision, Ameen
Wa Alaikum Salam
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 9:43am

There is no harm in experimenting. I personally dont think Niqaab is compulsory, but if a lady wishes to go the extra mile according to her personal imaan level . . . then subhanallah, good for them.

Honestly speaking, the Niqaab does have rather negative connotations in the non-muslim world, especially the west. But perhaps you can change that. It all depends on your stand on the issue. . . if you are wavering, I suggest you take time and dwell on it. Because ppl's attitudes can affect a person's imaan etc. Not everyone is able to deal with scrutiny etc. Since you live in a nonmuslim majority state, Niqaab may present practical problems to you e.g eating in Public, etc etc. In muslim societies I have noticed that many muslim brothers, no matter how bad, will give respectful privacy to a Niqaabi sister who is eating in public  - in nonmuslim societies, it illicits stares.

I would suggest you experiment with the Niqaab . . . wear it in Public a few times (places where u think ppl are more tolerant/multicultural) it will also give u a chance to get the feel of things, and you'll discover whether or not Niqaab is the right choice for you. You need not tell ppl about your experimentation, because that just releases a plethora of critisicm, gossip if one decides to not go ahead with it. Afer a few Niqaab excursions, your heart/mind will definitley have tilted towards a certain answer. Just go with that flow, and your natural inclination of the Imaan. . .

Regards,
May Allah help you with your decision.

PS: I have a friend who observes the Niqaab, and lives in Canada. If you wish, I could ask her to contact you and perhaps share her experience/advise.

Edited by Chrysalis - 07 August 2008 at 9:47am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 8:42am
Asalam Alaikum

May Allah reward you for your struggle.

I can inagine that is is a very difficult situation. Most of the Niqabbi sisters I met are women who liveat home, often only going out with husbands etc.

I only have met one niqabbi sister who works and sheworks in a Muslim Women's Shelter. So as far as working, and finding a job.. I would suspect it is 3 times as hard as for a hijabi sister.. and they struggle much to get jobs. My prayers are with you sister.

It is mostly sad to me that other Muslims do not support you. Even in kind words of encouragement. But people are funny.. we make divisions where there needs to be none.  It takes alot of strength to wear it here.. especially if you not in like Deerborn  or places with many, many Muslims.

I think it is great you feel it would be the right thing for you. Some of the best women I met in Pakistan were these women from a great family, some of whom wore niqab. (It was funny I was out with one woman, another woman was wearing who came up was wearing niqab... and ha, it was another family member, did not recognize her..lol)

I wish I had some answers and good suggestions...

Here are a few more articles on it... as mentioned, study an make the best decision for yourself. As mentioned majority of scholars do not consider it Fard.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Anna1407 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna1407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 7:04pm
Thank you for the advice everyone..I am still waverig about my decision on wearing it, but hopefully I'll know i time, I'll do a little it more research on it. Asalamaleikum.
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2008 at 7:31pm

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Sister, am sharing a mail, Hope it shall help you to decide

Hidden Pearls

Pearls beautiful manifestations of Allah's design and creation are born and found in the depths of the ocean within the protection of an oyster shell. Many divers risk their lives to attain these jewels, their shine unmarred, hidden away from human touch & sight. They are lessons in nature for heedful eyes. Have we ever wondered why pearls, the purest and whitest of natural jewels are not found floating on the surface of the ocean for all to see? Have we pondered why all beautiful things are hidden, the pomegranate seeds in their peel white coconut in a coarse shell, diamonds in a mine? And the most beautiful Being beyond our imaginations Allah Ta'ala . Among his best creation, the human being, Allah chose this honour for a woman in order to preserve, protect and purify her beauty and to make it eternal in paradise.

A symbol of dignity for centuries, it is now being called a symbol of humiliation and imprisonment . Above everything else people have gone to the extent of saying that this ordainment is not there in the Quran.  So let us see what Islam says about veil (Purdah)

1- Surah An-Nur: 31 states: "And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and protect their private parts and not to show off their adornment except that which is apparent and to draw their khumur over their juyub and not to reveal their adornment except to their husband's fathers, or their sons or their husband's sons, or their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex."

The word 'Khumur' (plural of khimar) is used for a head cover in Arabic. Alcohol is also called khamr because it overcomes or covers up the senses of a person. Before Islam, women would tuck this head dress behind their ears and throw its ends over their shoulders to leave their ears, necks and bosoms uncovered. So it was clearly ordained here to extend the head dress (or scarf or dupatta) over the bosoms so they serve their actual purpose of covering a woman's attraction.
Then women are explicitly told about the people before whom they may reveal their adornment. It is vital to pause here and think, "What was the need of mentioning every mahram by name if there was going to be no difference in the woman's attire before them and everyone else?"

Not only the clothes but even the manner of walking should not be provocative or such that it draws attention to the women. "And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful." (An-Nur; 31)

We need to then think about how the shariah (Islamic law), which is full of wisdom, could command the covering of the head and bosom, the lowering of certain gazes and a dignified walk but allow the face to remain uncovered? The face is where the main attraction of a woman lies. It is on the beautification of her face that the woman spends thousands of rupees, the face that attracts men and the face that is used in advertisements to promote many products.

3-In Surah Al-Ahzab: 59, Allah Ta'ala ordains "O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their jilbabs (cloaks) all over themselves. That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as to not be annoyed. And Allah is Ever-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
The word 'jilbab' refers to an outer garment to be worn over the khimar and clothes when going out of the house.

The word 'ala' (upon) signifies that this cloak must be hung from above a person so as to cover the face, body and clothes and not hung from the shoulders, etc

The Quran cannot be completely understood without ahadith as many issues like wudu, and many issues are more clarified by Ahadith

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Hadith # 347
Narrated Um 'Atiya (Radhiallaahu �nha) We were ordered (by Rasulullah '(Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) to bring out our menstruating women and veiled women in the religious gatherings and invocation of Muslims on the two 'Eid festivals. These menstruating women were to keep away from their Musalla. A woman asked, "O Allah's Apostle ' What about one who does not have a veil (the veil is the complete cover with only one eye or two eyes showing)?" He said, "Let her share the veil of her companion."

Abu Dawood Book 2, Hadith # 0641
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu �nha) "Rasulullah (Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) said "Allah does not accept the prayer of a woman who has reached puberty unless she wears a veil."

Abu Dawood Book 32, hadith # 4100
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu �nha): I was with Rasulullah (Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) while Maymunah was with him. Then Ibn Umm Maktum came. This happened when we were ordered to observe veil. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) said: Observe veil from him. We asked: oh Rasulullah! is he not blind? He can neither see us nor recognize us. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu �layhi Wasallam) said: Are both of you blind? Do you not see him?

On the other hand the command to abstain from using naqab (sewn cloth for covering face) during Hajj proves the fact that it is necessary otherwise or there would have been no need to stop women from wearing it on Hajj. Infact it is not forbidden to cover the face with an unsewn cloth for women on Hajj. Hadhrat Aisha narrates, "Men on camels used to pass by us while we were with the Prophet SAW and in the state of ihram. We would cover our faces with our jilbabs when they passed by us and then uncover them again." (Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah)

This attire is not a hindrance but rather a blessing for the Muslim woman. If an entire nation can go around wearing masks to save themselves from catching the SARS disease, why can't Muslim women do so to save themselves from other kinds of social ills? If a surgeon can perform the most delicate of tasks covered from head to toe, wearing a mask, why must a Muslim woman's sight, hearing or breathing be obstructed by a cloth?

Does keeping a pearl within a cover or a diamond in a safe place decrease its worth? Rather it increases it.

Whenever the women of Jannah are mentioned in the Quran, their quality of being hidden and preserved is also mentioned which further enhances their beauty. They have been called Azwajun Mutahharatun (purified wives) and Lulu-el-Maknoon (Pearls kept hidden). Allah Ta'ala says: "And beside them will be Qasirat-at-Tarf (ones with lowered, restrained eyes) with wide and beautiful eyes. (Delicate and pure) as if they were (hidden) eggs (well) preserved." (As-Saffat: 48-49)

If we desire to be amongst these women in the gardens of Paradise, we will have to develop these qualities within ourselves from this world onwards to become one of the Hidden Pearls.

Hence its an order proved from the Quran and Sunnah, if we wish to be in the list of momin, who has only the visa for jannah so we have to do Sama'na wa Ata'na (we listened and we obeyed)

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2008 at 7:34pm
I asked a sister, who is from my place, and right now in California, as how she manages to wear face-lift {Niqab} while the conditions there don;t permit. ANd this was her reply

See what i feel is nothing is impossible for a heart with strong imaan.Allah swt makes ways easy . Yes at some places some sisters might feel very awkward or like alein but all depends on what u feel inside .Allah swt says " Banda jasiey gumaan karta hai mai waisa hi hoon" so if u have taqwa Allah swt make u unnoticable among the crowd no one will look at u as if u r alien , but if u itself feel shy & bother more about what people will think then definetly it becomes very hard for u to go outside .  InshaAllah me & my husband coming to India next week, InshaAllah will talk to u ,-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic