IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - believer/ nonbeliever  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

believer/ nonbeliever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2008 at 11:35pm
Salam/Peace

Based on the hadith below the definition of believer (in Islam) is: "to believe in Allah, His Angels, His Books, His Apostles, and the meeting with Him, and to believe in the Resurrection."

Based on the hadith, to be "perfect believer" we have to do "Iman (in your heart)"; "Islam (in your action)" and "Ihsan (perfection/ultimate goal on how we worship (obeying/doing Allah/God's commands)) ".

==========

[[From Bukhari]] 6.300: Narrated Abu Huraira: One day while Allah's Apostle was sitting with the people, a man came to him walking and said, "O Allah's Apostle. What is Belief (Iman)?" The Prophet said, "Belief is to believe in Allah, His Angels, His Books, His Apostles, and the meeting with Him, and to believe in the Resurrection." The man asked, "O Allah's Apostle What is Islam?" The Prophet replied, "Islam is to worship Allah and not worship anything besides Him, to offer prayers perfectly, to pay the (compulsory) charity i.e. Zakat and to fast the month of Ramadan." The man again asked, "O Allah's Apostle What is Ihsan (i.e. perfection or Benevolence)?" The Prophet said, "Ihsan is to worship Allah as if you see Him, and if you do not achieve this state of devotion, then (take it for granted that) Allah sees you." The man further asked, "O Allah's Apostle When will the Hour be established?" The Prophet replied, "The one who is asked about it does not know more than the questioner does, but I will describe to you its portents. When the lady slave gives birth to her mistress, that will be of its portents; when the bare-footed naked people become the chiefs of the people, that will be of its portents. The Hour is one of five things which nobody knows except Allah. Verily, the knowledge of the Hour is with Allah (alone). He sends down the rain, and knows that which is in the wombs." (31.34) Then the man left. The Prophet said, "Call him back to me." They went to call him back but could not see him. The Prophet said, "That was Gabriel who came to teach the people their religion." (See Hadith No. 47 Vol 1) [[

[[From Muslim]] @Book 1, Number 0004: Abu Huraira reported: One day the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) appeared before the public that a man came to him and said: Prophet of Allah, (tell me) what is Iman. Upon this he (the Holy Prophet) replied: That you affirm your faith in Allah, His angels, His Books, His meeting, His Messengers and that you affirm your faith in the Resurrection hereafter. He (again) said: Messenger of Allah, (tell me) what does al-Islam signify. He (the Holy Prophet) replied: Al- Islam signifies that you worship Allah and do not associate anything with Him and you establish obligatory prayer and you pay the obligatory poor-rate (Zakat) and you observe the fast of Ramadan. He (the inquirer) again said: Messenger of Allah, what does al-Ihsan imply? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: That you worship Allah as if you are seeing Him, and in case you fail to see Him, then observe prayer (with this idea in your mind) that (at least) He is seeing you. He (the inquirer ) again said: Messenger of Allah, when would there be the hour (of Doom)? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: The one who is asked about it is no better informed than the inquirer. I, however, narrate some of its signs (and these are): when the slave-girl will give birth to he master, when the naked, barefooted would become the chiefs of the people - these are some of the signs of (Doom). (Moreover) when the shepherds of the black (camels) would exult themselves in buildings, this is one of the signs of (Doom). (Doom) is one of the five (happenings wrapped in the unseen) which no one knows but Allah. Then he (the Messenger of Allah) recited (the verse):" Verily Allah! with Him alone is the knowledge of the hour and He it is Who sends (down the rain) and knows that which is in the wombs and no person knows whatsoever he shall earn tomorrow, and a person knows not in whatsoever land he shall die. Verily Allah is Knowing, Aware. He (the narrator, Abu Huraira) said: Then the person turned back and went away. The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Bring that man back to me. They (the Companions of the Holy Prophet present there) went to bring him back, but they saw nothing there. Upon this the Messenger of Allah remarked: he was Gabriel, who came to teach the people their religion. [[

Edited by semar - 14 July 2008 at 5:21pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 7:20pm
As'Salamu Alaikum,

H300, hope you keep contributing here, by sharing with us your knowledge, It was nice reading you. Your posts are good but they shall be the best and more effective when are supported by ayah from the Quran and sunnah. Hope you shall also add up the verses if needed , and support your opinions.

Regarding this sentnce of yours, i contradict a bit,

" and i also dont believe that there will be any person in this world that does all the above good things and also reject any prophet intentionally (he in his heart know that they are right/true but still deliberately reject them). i really dont believe."

I know such persons personally, who do such good things and also reject Prophet deliberately. But to cite an example toyou, what do you say about., Prophet 's uncle  - Abu Talib. He knew very well that his nephew was a chosen messenger _-----,

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 10:13pm

To Seeks first:

Abu Talib was a good man. He could not recite the Kalimah because there was too much persecution of the Momineen and they were migrating. He was not sure of the ultimate result of the struggle. Moreover, he had clos elonks with the polytheists. When Abu Talib was about to die, the Prophet came to him and requested that uncle should become a believer even by reciting the Kalimah in the ear of the prophet.

But Abu Jehl was sitting there close to Abu Talib. And Abu Talib could not utter a word of belief. Too bad and so sad.

Now about H300:
 Please understand that what you have written is very good. It needs to be modified slightly. Belief is different to deeds. Belief is sort of intention. Belief and deeds are two different things and they are mentioned separately alongside one another. It is mentioned in Quran (2:82) And those who believed and performed befitting deeds they are the companions (dwellers) of paradise. They will live therein for a very long time.

In the above verse, the belief is mentioned separate from the deeds. Of course, any one who claims to be a believer but does not do any good thing, his belief is false. It may be likened to a tree which was planted but never watered until it was dried up and became dead.

By doing good deeds, a believers puts a stamp on his beliefs.

Semar has rightly explained the Eeman (belief) that is to accept that there is no God but Allah, and to believe in all His angels and all his book and all his messengers... That is belief. that is the beginning. By that a person comes into the fold of Islam. Then he has to prove his belief by performing certain obligatory prayers. He/she has to act on the teachings of the Quran and the way the prophet explained them practically (Sunnah).

All the above was for H300 (continued). We have been told that there are six basis of eeman. There are five pillars of Islam. Momin is a mere believer. He admits certain truth. Then his journey begins to the right path. Please remember that it is necessary to be a believer (Momin) in order to be a Muslim. And to be a believer is not anything minor or easy. It requires a lot of effort to accept the truth.

Any christian or Jew could also be a believer in God in his own way. He may still be a polytheist. But then his belief will not be useful to him. I feel that only an atheist would be a non-believer. Our present day meaning of the believer (Momin) is the one who believes in the prophet Muhammad s.a.w.s. That is a must.

Edited by minuteman - 15 July 2008 at 10:20pm
H3OO View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H3OO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 11:04pm
minute man u are totally right and i dont think i have taken belief and deeds as one thing either. and thats why i clearly said that that to be a momin it is not necessary to be a believer (not being a believer in the sense i stated before) and similarly it is not necessary that if one is a believer, he is a momin too which shows that it has more got to do with followance of the good deeds that prophets of God placed before us (some of which i stated in my prev post) rather than just being  mere  believer (that is having believe in prophet pbuh), and so a nonbeliever can be a momin too if he performs good deeds. so it clearly shows beliefs and deeds being two different things.

since we all are Muslims, hence believers, so we are pretty much clear (which u have further cleared in ur post) about things regarding them but the major problem exists regarding a nonbeliever, about what will their faith be. ofcourse most of the muslims openly state all of them kafirs and that they'll all go to hell which i dont
agree with so thats why i wanted to state my opinion regarding them and that they can be a momin too who will go to heaven as well.

so my post was written keeping a nonbeliever n view.

and as regard a believer

i have mentioned in my previous post on page 1 of this thread (in a reply to believer) that since he doesnt believe in Prophet (pbuh) so for me he isnt a believer and so its clear that to be a believer u have to be a believer in prophet [pbuh] and ofcourse also in all the other prophets of God, their books and all angels of God too as u stated, hence a muslim. so my def of believer clear too.

i hope i got the meaning of ur post right and am able to clear my point of view.

Edited by H3OO - 16 July 2008 at 12:26am
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 2:51pm
 Yes minuteman - By doing good deeds, a believers puts a stamp on his beliefs. 

Remember Jews and Christians are not polytheists.  We have a different perception of what the One True GOD is.

Faith without deeds is dead.

Everyone can see the difference between the Old and New Testaments.  I think Mohammad started out trying to be close to GOD.  Have you noticed the differance between the Mecca and Medina verses?

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 3:22pm
Salam/Peace

Mecca verses of the Quran that revealed during early birth of Islam mostly talked about aqeedah (faith, the concept of God). Because during this period Allah/God wanted to correct the polytheist concept that adopted by the Arabs, worshiping idols etc. The monotheist foundation was being built on this period.

Medina verses of the Quran that revealed on the later stage of his prophecy mostly talked about muamalah (deed, how to deal with other human being such as family, community etc). During this period the concept of monotheism had been accepted and the foundation of faith already strong enough so the verses that revealed on that period were addressed to take care social and community matters.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 6:57pm

Believer, you are tying the Jewish faith with the church faith. Both are different, miles apart. A good reply is given above by Semar. I may add a few lines for your information. Our prophet was acting as Jesus in Makkah and as Moses in Madinah. Thus representing the good works of both those prophets. See below:

Our prophet (you have questioned his teachings) had two names, Ahmad and Muhammad. Ahmad means "The one who praises Allah maximum". It is also having love and beauty and peacefulness. The name Muhammad means "The one whom Allah praises most of all". Muhammad means the praised one. It is the Jalaali name of our prophet.

The name Ahmad is a name having beauty and love and gentleness. It is called a Jamaali name. The name Muhammad means the praised one. That name carries power and authority and glory.

Our prophet was a good example of Jesus and Moses a.s. While in Makkah, the prophet was acting according to his name Ahmad. That was more like the works of Jesus. The prophet was in similar circumstances as was Jesus in Kana'an. There was much opposition and persecution of the believers. So the prophet acted on the same principles of non-retaliation in Makkah as Jesus was doing in his time.

The prophet was being guided by Allah all the time and he was spreading the message with love and kindness. (Add to that what is written above by semar).

The other example of our prophet is that of Moses a.s. Because it is clearly written in the Quran that our prophet is the same type of messenger as was sent to pharoah ( that means Moses a.s.). So the other role our prophet had was that of the like of Moses a.s. That role was manifested in madinah where the prophet was acting in the name of Muhammad. That was with glory and power, the like of Moses a.s.

So there is no mistake any where. Both your prophets (Moses and Jesus) are present in the life of our prophet. Can you please understand. He completed the work of both of your prophets. That is gentleness and glory (power). The role of Moses was was one sided. That was a kind of harsh role. No gentleness.

The role of Jesus was complete gentleness and love. No harsh deed.  (that is one sided too). Both the roles were incomplete. Our prophet represented the true pattern of life to the mankind, i.e. the true natural path for the mankind along with the highest degree of spiritualism which could lead mankind to be close to God in this world and the hereafter.

Edited by minuteman - 16 July 2008 at 7:05pm
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Where in the Quran does it say the message was lost? 

So you are saying that Allah failed to guard the Gospel, his Holy WORD?!?

believer,
sorry I have been away for a while, but here I am.
I think as a group you are not very well coordinated or if you are a single person you have very short memory like myself, but I remember I have answered your very same question from the Quran last time, may be no more than a month ago.
But anyway here is the answer and the quotes from the Final Testament, The Holy Quran again, regarding changing of the Law, and the Gospel (now known as the Bible) by their followers:

Al Maidah (5):12 God did aforetime take a Covenant from the Children of Israel......(13) their hearts grew hard. They changed the words from their places and forgot a good part of the messsage that was sent them...........

14 From those who call themselves Christians we did take a covenant, but they forgot a good part of the message that was sent them.........soon will God show them what it is they have done.

As far as your rhetoric that why God could not guard his word, I will say, for God nothing is impossible, but if that would have been God's plan surely we would have Adam as the first and the final messanger and one Word of guidance since then.  And there would have been no other prophets and books sent after Adam. No need would have been for Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus or Mohammed (pbut).

Only in the Quran, God mentions that He will guard it (the Quran) till the End. Also Quran is the Final Testament God has sent to mankind for guidance.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 18 July 2008 at 5:19pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic