IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Request for New Forum  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Request for New Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Request for New Forum
    Posted: 20 June 2005 at 9:41am

Salam to the moderators and others,

One of the frustrations I have with this site (although I have many positive things I could say as well) is a lack of a forum which encourages members to be more academic in their postings. Many a posting title starts out with endless possiblities, but is eventually abandoned due to spurious comments which lack any basis or grounding.

If someone makes a comment, such as "The Quran says..." or "Our scholars say..." or, "I have read a hadith somewhere that says..." or "This Ayat means..." they should be encouraged to CITE THEIR SOURCES. I know that this is not part of the General Rules for Discussion, however, maybe a seperate forum could be added which strongly encourages citation of original source material. I'm not sure about a title, maybe, "Islamic Research Forum" or " General Islam, Academic". I'm sure someone else can propose a better titled.

I think a forum like this is needed, and would encourage more interesting (and in-depth) discussion.

Salam.

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 3:42pm

Salam,

I think even though there is such forum there is no way to avoid post that you think it doesn't cite the source etc.

I think this forum is good enough because we can learn from each other. Forum member who has better knowledge in a certain field indirectly educate member that less knowledge on that field. In this forum you still can post analysis in depth.

However if you still need such forum, you can create a new topic that you choose as opening discussion, and give suggestion how they should reply, and see how it goes. If it goes well and get a lot of response we can prove to moderators that such specific discussion is needed.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
shabbir View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shabbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 11:32am

Hayya a?laa khairil a?mal

Sulaiman: Shias also additionally recite the words Hayya a?laa khairil a?mal (Rush towards the best of deeds). Among the Sunnis it is a practice to recite "As-salaato khairumminan nawm" (The prayer is better than sleep) in the morning azaan?

Ja?far: Brother, try to understand. It is an established fact beyond any doubt according to authentic texts that the phrase ?Hayya a?laa khairil a?mal? was a necessary part of the azaan during the time of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.), during the tenor of Caliph Abu Bakr and the first part of the caliphate of Umar ibne Khattab. It was he (Umar) who deleted this phrase from azaan.

Refer to Sahih Muslim Volume I page 48. According to a tradition related by Ibne Masood, "The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.s.) commanded the people to recite ?Hayya a?laa khairil a?mal? in azaan and iqaamah. This practice continued till Umar prohibited it."

It is our belief that the words, "As-salaato khairumminan nawm" are not a part of azaan and iqaamah. There is no record of such words during the time of the Prophet of Allah (s.a.w.s.) and during the tenor of Abu Bakr. The addition is also attributed to Caliph Umar as mentioned in the Muwattah of Imam Malik.

When the Muezzin came to Umar Ibne Khattab to seek permission for the morning prayers, he found him sleeping. Muezzin said, "As-salaato khairumminan nawm"(The prayer is better than sleep). Umar liked it and ordered that this sentence should be added to the morning azaan

shabbir View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shabbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 11:36am

Salaamun alaykum

by ahmed deedat

We went to visit the Imam, Ayatollah Ruhollah Musawi Khomeini. There were about forty of us who waited for the Imam and the Imam came in and was about ten meters away from where I was, and I saw the Imam. He delivered the Lecture to us for about half an hour, and it was nothing but the Quran, the man is like a computerized Quran. And the electric effect he had on everybody, his charisma, was amazing . You just look at the man and tears come down your cheek. You just look at him and you get tears. I never saw a more handsome old man in my life, no picture, no video, no TV could do justice to this man, the handsomest old man I ever saw in my life was this man. There is something unique to his name, too. First he is called Imam Khomeini. The word Imam is to us a every cheap word. Wherever we go somewhere we ask who is the Imam of the Masjid here. To the Shia there is only one Imam in the world and he is the Twelfth Imam , they believe in the concept of Imamate and that the Imam is the spiritual leader of the ummah. And the first Imam according to the school of Imamate is Hazrat Ali(RA). Then comes Imam Hassan who is the second Imam, Imam Hussein the third Imam all the way until the twelve Imam, Imam Mohammad who disappeared at the age of 5 and they are expecting his return. They use the term "occultation" something like a spiritual hibernation like the Ashab Al-cahf. And that he is expected to come back and he is the only one in the world who can be called Imam. Most of their scholars are called mullah, and Ayatollah means Allamah And Ayatollah Khomeini is called Imam out of respect but they are waiting for the real Imam to come. Ruhollah is the name his father gave him and do you know what it means? Ruhollah means the 'word of God' and this is the title of Hazrat Isa(as) in the Quran. Then he is Ayatollah which is another title of Hazrat Isa(as) in the Quran. Al-Musawi is from the family Musa and from the city of Khomein which is where his last name Khomeini comes from. ...(break in audio at 41: 05 seconds). But they are waiting for the Mahdi, and not Khomeini. They want to clean the stables and make preparations for the Mahdi to come. In the Sunni world we are also waiting for the Mahdi to come but we want him to clean the stables for us, make us masters of the world and to make us sit on the thrones. The Sunni world is just passively waiting. Until then we can carry on with all our petty little squabbles, whatever we are carrying on now. And it is only the Imam Mahdi which can clean the world for us. This is the Sunni line of thinking. Khomeini on the other hand tells his followers that we must help prepare the way so that when he does come everything is already set up for him to act on. While we, the Sunni world are waiting for Imam Mahdi to pull the chestnut out of the fire for us, the Shias are preparing the world for his arrival

shabbir View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shabbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 11:50am
The Prophet([buh&hf) said: "The Mahdi will be of my family, of the descendants of Fatimah (the Prophet's daughter).
Sunni references:
1. Sunan Abi Dawud, English version, Ch. 36, Tradition #4271 (narrated by Umm Salama, the wife of the Prophet)
2. Sunan Ibn Majah, v2, Tradition #4086
3. al-Nisa'i and al-Bayhaqi, and others as quoted in:
4. al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar al-Haythami, Ch. 11, section 1, p249
By the above traditions, the Prophet extended Ahlul-Bayt up to Imam al-Mahdi(as). So Ahlul-Bayt are not just those five, and Imam al-Mahdi is the last member of Ahlul-Bayt, but he was not born at the time of the Prophet so that he could take him into the Cloak as well! Also the messenger of Allah said:
"There shall be twelve Imams/Caliphs/Amirs for my nation"
Sunni references:
1. Sahih al-Bukhari, Arabic-English, v9, Tradition #329;
2. Sahih Muslim, English version, Chapter DCCLIV, v3, pp 1009-1010, Traditions #4476 --> #4483;
3. Sunan Abi Dawud, v2, p421 (three traditions);
4. Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v4, p501;
5. Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v5, p106;
6. Others such as al-Tiyalasi, Ibn al-Athir, etc.
shabbir View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shabbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 11:52am
A Jew named al-A`tal came to the Prophet and said, "Muhammad! I wish to ask you about certain things which I have been keeping to myself; so, if you answer them, I shall declare my acceptance of Islam before you." The Prophet said, "Ask me, O father of Imarah!" So he asked him about many things till he was satisfied and admitted that the Prophet was right. Then he said, "Tell me about your wasi (successor): who is he? No prophet can ever be without a wasi; our prophet Moses had appointed Yusha` [Joshua] son of Noon as his successor." He said, "My wasi is Ali ibn Abu Talib followed by my grandsons al-Hasan and al-Husayn followed by nine men from the loins of al-Husayn." He said, "Then name them for me, O Muhammad!" The Prophet said, "Once al-Husayn departs, he will be succeeded by his son Ali; when Ali departs, his son Muhammad will succeed him. When Muhammad departs, his son Ja`far will succeed him. When Ja`far departs, he will be succeeded by his son Musa. When Musa departs, his son Ali will succeed him. When Ali departs, his son Muhammad will succeed him. When Muhammad departs, his son Ali will succeed him. When Ali departs, his son al-Hasan will succeed him, and when al-Hasan departs, al-Hujjah Muhammad al-Mahdi will succeed him. These are the twelve ones." That Jew, therefore, embraced Islam and praised Allah for having guided him."
Source: Yanabi' al-Mawaddah, by al-Qundoozi al-Hanafi, Page 440

shabbir View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shabbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 12:01pm

Abu-Talib:The Greatest Guardian of Islam

who supported the Holy Prophet of Islam(S.A.W.) in all difficult situations expired on 26th Rajab three years before the Hijrah of the Holy Prophet of Islam(S.A.W.) from Mecca to Madina.The Holy Prophet of Islam(S.A.W.) was deeply grieved and named this year as "The Year of Sadness".
On this sad occasion we extend our Heartfelt Condolences to the 1500 million strong Muslim Ummah

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 8:16pm

Bismillah

Wa'alaikumu Salaam Brother Ali Zaki,

Jazzak Allahu Khair for the suggestion with regards to having an academic forum, in fact we are working out something and looking at more effective ways to make this forum a more pleasant environment for those who are sincerely seeking to share and gain knowledge.

The citing of the resources and accuracy in transmitting Prophetic sayings has been unfortunately widely ignored in this discussion even with today's technology that allows you find almost anything with a click of a search button on the internet. As you rightly pointed, this is not part of General Rules, perhaps done with intention to facilitate discussion amongst the new Muslims and those not well familiar with strict methodology used in Islamic research.

Stay tuned and we shall figure out something, insha Allah.

MOCKBA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic