IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Arts & Literatures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - music?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nabil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: music?
    Posted: 12 June 2008 at 10:20pm
Pakistan released a movie Called

KHUDA KEY LIYE/IN GOD'S NAME

and it tells secrects of Islam that music is not forbidden in Islam and stuff like that. It became v. popular here but also controversial.

so its ok to listen to music to in Islam?
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Nabil Nabil wrote:

Pakistan released a movie Called

KHUDA KEY LIYE/IN GOD'S NAME

and it tells secrects of Islam that music is not forbidden in Islam and stuff like that. It became v. popular here but also controversial.

so its ok to listen to music to in Islam?

Scholars have conflicting views on the issue. . . whether or not modern-day music is explicitly haraam or not.

Most agree that not all music is Haraam . . . however many aspects of it is haram though. There is also a hadith that states that Prophet Muhammad disapproved of musical instruments. . . however he did santion one or two instruments.

Most of Modern-Day music can easily be termed haraam. . . due to its intentions, message etc. Especially Hip-Hop and Rap. The entire theme of the songs today is sex, violence, bad-language, drugs etc. Very few bands/music/songs are in accordance with what Islam allows. Islam aside, I find thier lyrics repulsive and demeaning . . .especially as a female. Forget about the videos!

I personally find ppl who get addicted to music very silly . . . always walking around wid Ipods sticking into thier ears. Any hobby/act that becomes an addiction/obsession is silly. . . well, most are anyway :p If you think you cannot do without music, atleast opt for the sane musicians and bands, that dont always talk abt violence, sex, swear, degrade women etc. Examples : Cat Stevens, Outlandish etc. Nasheeds these days are very melodious as well . . .

There are scholars that say it is ok to use Music as a therapy or teaching-tool to teach kids, special children. . . etc.

PS: Don't believe everything you watch on TV.

Edited by Chrysalis - 02 July 2008 at 2:44am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
seekn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 6:23pm
Assalamu Alikum,

I have been addicted to music and I still am. Now that make me silly>!
The reason being, growing up with much conflicts in the home, it was the sanest option for me. (was not religious at the time). So, I guess I am one of those people who attach music to peace, feeling of relaxation etc...I am working on this because as the sister said correctly above, the type of music *out there* is just filled with all types of negative vibes. These type of music only increases the sadness or whatever feeling of pain in your life -through their really depressing lyrics; sometimes you don't even realize it, because you are caught up listening to the music itself and not the lyrics, but eventually it does enter the subconscious. Did you know, according to research many of these people who listened rock music have been affiliated with cults and suicidal tendencies..

I found it necessary to respond and include my experience in order to:
(1) Discourage anyone else from listening to music that convey negative vibes (not restricted to any particular genre of music)
(2) State that translating my love for rock music to nasheeds and islamic rap has really helped, starting with Soliders of Allah to Raihan, Sami Yusuf , Zain Bhikha etc etc...The positive vibes these artists produce has the alternative effect. (agreeing with Chrysalis...)

Of course if you are not *unlucky* Wink  to be addicted to music, the best sound to listen to is the recitation of the Quran - better yet recite it yourself.

But, for people like me, who are still surrounded by music with negative vibes, I agree with the Nasheeds as the next best alternative, especially if you are doing something mundane like chores or exercising..

Just a thought, we have Islamic hip-hop and rap, anything on islamic rock music as yet? hmmm.

Edited by seekn - 02 July 2008 at 6:31pm
Nabil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nabil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 7:29pm
Hmm well I listen to a band called t.A.T.u.
Its a Russian band consisting of 2 girls and their latest song was against abortion. So,we have bands singing meaningful songs as well.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2008 at 6:41am
edited

Edited by Chrysalis - 12 December 2009 at 4:01pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2008 at 6:52am
Originally posted by seekn seekn wrote:

Assalamu Alikum,

I have been addicted to music and I still am. Now that make me silly>!

Soliders of Allah to Raihan, Sami Yusuf , Zain Bhikha etc etc...

Of course if you are not *unlucky* Wink  to be addicted to music, the

Tongue Sorry seekn. . . I shall clarify my tagging 'music addiction' as silly by including only the ppl who behave like drug-addicts, i.e. always need a music-fix . . .ive seen ppl on Ipods EVEN when the radio is on!!! While they are sleeping! Even when they r in conversation, some of them will be listening to thier music-boxes, and one has to patiently wait for them to pause and take a ear-phone (or shud I say ear-plug) out to listen to u! Lol. I knw atleast 3 ppl like that!

I have not heard Soldiers of Allah so far, but I like Sami Yusuf's music . . . even Raihan, tho I cannot understand Malay, only the arabic parts! :p Zain Bhika I find too sweet-voiced that it gives me a tooth-ache! So I dont exactly love his music. But I think his voice has a Michael Jackson tinge to it.

Yusuf Islam is also good, but Dawud Wharnsby is my favv.

I don't think there can be such a thing as "Islamic Rock" thats because Rock=Noise. .  .And Allah does not like noise-pollution/loudness . . . Tongue Just MHO. Smile [That was a joke btw :p]

Edited by Chrysalis - 12 January 2012 at 9:55am
seekn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 5:44pm
Assalamu Alikum,

Sis, no need to apologise.
I tease alot, but I meant to put forth a point, generally - that it is easy to judge another without really knowing what situation that person is in. Yeah, there are different levels of addiction :). What those others do are really extreme and should be avoided. I agree with you in most matters of your post, though. :)

Please make dua for me, I really want to stop listening to music, especially after having read the article from Darul Iftaa (http://www.daruliftaa.com/) on Music and Singing.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2008 at 1:15am
Originally posted by seekn seekn wrote:

Assalamu Alikum,

Please make dua for me, I really want to stop listening to music, especially after having read the article from Darul Iftaa (http://www.daruliftaa.com/) on Music and Singing.

I applaud your Jihad Seekn.

I've tried it myself, and though it may be tough for some. . . . Though I do not strictly avoid music now, during my mid-teens I strictly stayed away from music. . .at that time Imaan was stronger Embarrassed And honestly, I disliked behaving like my peers. . . Hence if one is trying hard to fit in, its difficult to stop. In order to stop, one has to really believe wht they are doing is right, and for that one needs to knw that music can have side-effects (notice, I do not brand music as all evil! :p it has its side-effetcs tho)

First try avoiding the bad-music i.e. rap, dirty lyrics, explicit vids. . . then move on to others. Replace the worng kind of music with the islamic alternatives. . . etc. Insha'allah it works. One can also pray Salat Hajat . . . very easy, just 2-rakats! And let Allah help you.

Allah says in a Hadith Qudsi, that when My slave moves towards me a handspan, I move towards him an armslength . . . . And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed. <3  <3   <3  Smile

At the end of the day, Allah will judge you based on your circumstances, your burden and the extent of your personal Jihad (striving). Nobody is a perfect Mo'min/Muslim, and will never become one. . .Its all about the striving, and achieving the next level of Imaan.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic