IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I thought Muslims did not believe in intercessors  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I thought Muslims did not believe in intercessors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:26am

believer,

my understanding is:
-intercession is different than ransom and I am sure you are aware of each terms and its meaning. Ransom, in simple would be paying a cost (in any way) for someone to be free. While to interceed on someone's behalf is if one asks somone for a favor or request on behalf of someone else.

-Now, my understanding is that in Quran I have not come accross any verse that suggests that the prophet will interceed on the part of the believers, who failed in their duty to achieve salvation.
Now remember, that through Islam we know that God forgives because He is Merciful, the person has to ask and request it to God, if that's the desire.
One sin however, God has mentioned in the Quran and in the previous scriptures (Bible) that does not have forgiveness is blasphemy against God. That is to deny God, or take another object for worship, or along with God have other objects for worship. 
Now lets proceded. Prophets are God's chosen people, above others. Whether it was Moses, David, Jesus or Mohammed (pbut), they all have higher ranks in comparison to you and me. Only God knows what exactly that ranks will be but for my understanding is that they will be closer to God, for their character, love, devotion, obedience, trust, belief and strength of faith, and so on. And thus God may grant them something that they may request, for example for forgiveness of some of their followers that did not make it.
But I must say that, those who do not listen to the messangers and thus did not listen to what God said through the messangers, simply will not be helped through 'intercession' because if they deny to practice what the messanger have asked them to, why the messsangers would ask for their forgiveness.
It is said by God, that those who ignore Me and my message, I will ignore them that day, meaning the Judgement Day.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 19 May 2008 at 10:13am
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

myahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:55am

Good answer Honeto, there is intercession regarding those who has higher ranks beside Allah swt but of course it also depends on how one used to live and believe in this world.

Edited by myahya - 19 May 2008 at 9:57am
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:53am
Absolutely, myahya you are right.

I happen to find one verse in the Quran that supports my view:
19:87 None shall have the power of intercession, but such a one as has received permission or promise from God The Most Gracious.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 19 May 2008 at 10:54am
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 6:12pm
Believer:

If by intercessor you mean someone to whom Muslims pray and ask that they speak to God or go before God on their behalf, or someone or something that will take the brunt of our punishment on the Day of Judgement for us, then no, there are no intercessors in Islam.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 11:40am
I understand to intercede- to plead/speak on someone's behalf.

honeto that makes sense- If you didn't believe in GOD then you wouldn't be asking for anyone to speak on your behave anyway!!

Shasta I think in your statment you are combining intercession and ransom.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 6:48am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

I understand to intercede- to plead/speak on someone's behalf.

honeto that makes sense- If you didn't believe in GOD then you wouldn't be asking for anyone to speak on your behave anyway!!

Shasta I think in your statment you are combining intercession and ransom.

By intercessors I mean priests, saints, preachers, dead relatives, spiritualists, mediums, etc... 

I add Jesus to the list because his whole act of willful suicide was supposedly to intercede on behalf of mankind and accept their sins. You may say his blood was a ransom paid for our sins, but I'm not sure to whom the ransom was paid and who demaned such a ransom.

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 21 May 2008 at 6:49am
Eleanor Roosevelt
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 4:08pm
Oh, were you Catholic?  It is sad that at the Catholic grade schools they teach church doctrine and not Bible stories.

No, I do not think of any but Jesus as intercessor- praying to GOD in Jesus' name.

The ransom was paid to GOD.  GOD is just and righteous which means when someone sins it causes a debt that must be paid.  We all sin.

Mark 10

45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 8:33pm
"The ransom was paid to GOD.  GOD is just and righteous which means when someone sins it causes a debt that must be paid.  We all sin."

I thought Jesus is God.
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic