IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - YHWH v. Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YHWH v. Allah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 10:15am
Who cares what God's true name is?

There are millions of people on this planet with hundreds of thousands of languages and dialects. Do you honestly think a personal God would care what his organic inhabitants of this planet call him?

Allah, YHVH, EHYEH, Ahzura Mazda, God, Got, Brahman etc.......

There is a verse in the Qur'an that says (if I recall and may God forgive me for my mental imperfect):

"To Allah belongs the most beautiful names."

I want the Christians who constantly come here to compare their faith know that Muslims believe that there is only one God. There is no multiple deities aside with God or under God or on top of God. God is the sole and only authority in the universe. God is the "alpha and omega" but in actuality God is neither because there is no beginning nor end with God.

God is the only reality. But of course Christians will ridiculously argue, "well, you may believe in one God but you don't believe Jesus is god etc." This is ridiculous. Let God sort out those differences. Let us leave this discussion at the belief that there is only one God (as Averroes would call him) the artisan, the sustainer and Creator of the universe.

Allah is a human constructed name. Remember God is beyond the limitations of human language therefore it is safe to say that God does not need vocal cords and a windpipe to vocalize sound into words. He gives us a name to make some sense of what it is. I like the verse "I am that I am." God is what God is.

Edited by Israfil - 26 April 2008 at 10:21am
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 2:59pm
That is like saying you don't care what your best friend's name is. 

Do you really mean that?
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Do you really mean that?
believer,
most of us who grew up in the East know that we call our mothers, (the closest of any wordly relationships) not by their given names but mother or mom for love and respect (its trasnlations in local languages).
What better example, can never be equal but closest to this??
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

truthnowcome View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 7:52pm

I keep hearing that arabic Christians  use the word Allah for GOD.  I wonder when GOD is called by HIS personal name YWHW what do the arabic Christians say?  Do they pronounce it like we do, Yahweh?

Let�s see what Jesus (S) have to say about his �name�!

John 17:6    6 I have "manifested thy name unto the men" which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

John 17:26  And I have "declared unto them thy name,"

and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

According to those verse Jesus (S) �declared� God�s name, can you show me where in the bible Jesus (S) declared or manifested God�s name?

I know for sure Jesus (S) calls His God �Allah� read below:

Firstly, the language of Jesus (S) was �Aramaic�:

Among the Dead Sea Scrolls, the remains of the library of a Jewish sect from around the turn of the Era, are many compositions in Aramaic. These new texts also provide the best evidence for Palestinian Aramaic of the sort used by Jesus and his disciples. Link: The Aramaic Language

And the word for �God� in Aramaic is �Allah�

Just click on this link and type the word �God� and see what turns up Aramaic Lexicon and Concordance. If not, then type this �Aramaic Lexicon and Concordance� in your browser and then type the word �God�.

Clip:

Word:

hl0

Lexeme:

0hl0

Root:

hl0

Word Number:

Meaning:

God

Pronunciation:

(Eastern) AaLaH
(Western) AaLoH

Part of Speech:

Noun

Masculine

Person:

Number:

Singular

State:

Absolute

Tense:

Form:

Suffix Gender:

Suffix Person:

Suffix Number:

Singular

truthnowcome

Edited by truthnowcome - 26 April 2008 at 8:10pm
LET'S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL...NO MORE LIES!
truthnowcome View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 8:27pm

I keep hearing that arabic Christians  use the word Allah for GOD.  I wonder when GOD is called by HIS personal name YWHW what do the arabic Christians say?  Do they pronounce it like we do, Yahweh?

Knowing that Jesus (S) call his God �Allah� in Aramaic, let�s just replace the correct word (Allah) and see how it will read!

He said: �I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.� (John.5:30)

�For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak.�  (John 12:49)

Who is Jesus (pbuh) Father?

Jesus (pbuh) said: ��Touch me not, for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and my Allah and your Allah.� (John 20:16-17 AKJV)

According to him, his Father is �OUR GOD and HIS GOD; He has a GOD, He said: �MY ALLAH AND YOUR ALLAH.�

And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good
but ALLAH alone."
(
Mark 10:18)

truthnowcome

LET'S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL...NO MORE LIES!
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 6:07am
honeto- very good point!!  Actually the best and simplest arguement I have heard about this whole name of GOD difference between Muslims, Christians and Jews.Smile

LOL!!  tnc- we have talked about that on another thread.- Oh but you have been away for a bit, start another thread.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 6:45am

YHWH is faithful to his word, which is unchanging, and he does not lie. (Numbers 23:19) Although God can and often does make conditional promises � including covenants � his inherent faithfulness is not dependent upon human faithfulness, but reflects his utter holiness. (Hebrews 6:17�19; Malachi 3:6)

Allah acts as he pleases and is the �best of schemers' (Q3:54); he can, without impugning his perfection, abrogate something he has said earlier and replace it with a contradictory word. (Q16:100�104) He is not obligated to follow his covenants, nor does he obligate himself to people in any way. (Q17:85�89)

In the Bible GOD always keeps His promises.  In the Quran Allah allows himself and men to break there oaths.

Indwelling of the Holy Spirit-produces the fruits of the spirit only- no superpowers

WAHUWAH, which simply means He is the One-  Are there verses in the Quran with this phrase?
John 3
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 12:46pm

Do you really mean that?

Are you really that ignorant? There is a difference between me caring about who my best friend name is and actually putting great significance in God's name. I mean FFS, God is the creator of all humans and many languages so, why should I care what someone in Africa calls God and why should God himself care (if he does at all)?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic