IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - YHWH v. Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YHWH v. Allah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2008 at 6:51pm
LOL!!  honeto -Do you believe satan/evil is more powerfuol then GOD?

Pagan Arabs in pre-Islamic times worship 360 gods, including sun, moon and the stars,  Arabs built temples to the Moon-god.  Different Arab tribes give the Moon-god different names Sin, Hubul, Ilumquh, Al-ilah.

�al-ilah� (the god) used as the Moon-god,  �Allah� = �al-ilah. He was worshipped at the Kabah, which was the house of the Moon-god�.

I just think YHWH would want to make sure that the Arabs knew the difference between the One True GOD and the padan god.  Especially too since the ritual was so similar to the ones of the pagans walking around the kabah.

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2008 at 8:39pm

According to Sir James George Frazer (The Golden Bough):

��Nowhere was this crude conception of the secrecy and magical virtue of the divine name more firmly held or more fully developed than in ancient Egypt [whence emigrated Moses] �  For it was believed that he who possessed the true name possessed the very being of god or man, and could force even a deity to obey him as a slave obeys his master. Thus the art of the magician consisted in obtaining from the gods a revelation of their sacred names ��

Ref:  http://www.bartleby.com/196/59.html

From the Jewish Encyclopedia:

�The pronunciation of the written Name [of God] was used only by the priests in the Temple when blessing the people (Num. vi. 22-27); outside the Temple they used the title �Adonai� � The high priest mentioned the Name on Yom Kippur ten times � the sages delivered to their disciples the key to the Name once in every Sabbatical year � The restriction upon communicating the Name proper probably originated in Oriental [read Egyptian] etiquette .��  (bold emphasis added)

Ref:  http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=52&letter=N

Finally, Josephus writes this of the Essenes of his day:

�The Essenes observed strict religious orders. They functioned as scribes and prophets, studying and preserving the Scriptures, the books of their sect, and the names of angels. Their work of healing involved ascribing properties to stones and roots for protection. And they were expert at foreseeing future events.�  (bold emphasis added)

Ref:  http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=3975

Serv

Edited by Servetus - 24 April 2008 at 8:41pm
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Servetus Servetus wrote:

To address the first point.

Quote YHWH is God's name �forever'. (Exodus 3:13�15)

vs.

Quote And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH [YHWH] was I not known to them. (Exodus 6:3)

A question thus arises.  If and only if Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did not know the tetragramaton [YHWH], then why should Ishmael and Muhammad?

Serv

Glad to be back, Serv and I rejoiced reading the answer. LOL

BMZ
Shasta's Aunt: "Well, there's the difference you see. The Bible was written by man about God, The Quran was revealed to man by God."
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 6:29am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

I keep hearing that arabic Christians  use the word Allah for GOD.  I wonder when GOD is called by HIS personal name YWHW what do the arabic Christians say?  Do they pronounce it like we do, Yahweh?

Actually though Islam has GOD having 99 names.

I have honestly not heard any of my Christian friends calling Jesus, YHWH. Is it because they are scared to call Gawd's name?

For Christian Arabs, Allah is the peronal name of Gawd. The Bible in Arabic also does not mention YHWH but replaces it with Allah. LOL

Cheers

BMZ 
Shasta's Aunt: "Well, there's the difference you see. The Bible was written by man about God, The Quran was revealed to man by God."
Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 6:49am
BMZ wrote:-

"The Bible in Arabic also does not mention YHWH but replaces it with Allah. LOL"

So, according to the Arabic bible, "Allah" is a name.  Do you go along with that?

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Doo-bop Doo-bop wrote:

BMZ wrote:-

"The Bible in Arabic also does not mention YHWH but replaces it with Allah. LOL"

So, according to the Arabic bible, "Allah" is a name.  Do you go along with that?

If "God" is a name then yes!
Otherwise no, as my wife (a Muslim) calls God Dios, or Senior del Mundos (her mother tongue is Spanish).
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 25 April 2008 at 6:17pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 7:06pm
YHWH in english is Jehovah

InterestingThe Bible in Arabic also does not mention YHWH but replaces it with Allah

Exodus 3

13 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"

14 God said to Moses, "I am who I am .  This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

15 God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers�the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob�has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 7:31pm
I just found a website very interesting. 

Claims GOD's name is just EHYEH, translating it to I am is wrong, as is using YHWH and Jehovah. 

On one of these threads someone mentioned the equivalent of EHYEH in arabic, I AM.  Is ther something like that in the Quran EHYEH- would it be just HYH?

Edited by believer - 25 April 2008 at 7:37pm
John 3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic