IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - YHWH v. Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YHWH v. Allah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:47pm

Allah has 99 names.

Here is a link that lists them:

http://www.islamicity.com/Mosque/99names.htm

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:56pm

To address the second point.

Quote Evil is not from YHWH, but wilful rebellion against YHWH. YHWH is the author of good, not evil. (Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 92:15; 1 John 1:5)

Vs.

Quote I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things]. (Isaiah 45:7)

Quote Allah is the author of both good and evil. (Q91:5�9)

Vs.

Quote [Shakir 91:5] And the heaven and Him Who made it,
[Yusufali 91:5] By the Firmament and its (wonderful) structure;
[Pickthal 91:5] And the heaven and Him Who built it
[Shakir 91:6] And the earth and Him Who extended it,
[Yusufali 91:6] By the Earth and its (wide) expanse:
[Pickthal 91:6] And the earth and Him Who spread it,
[Shakir 91:7] And the soul and Him Who made it perfect,
[Yusufali 91:7] By the Soul, and the proportion and order given to it;
[Pickthal 91:7] And a soul and Him Who perfected it
[Shakir 91:8] Then He inspired it to understand what is right and wrong for it;
[Yusufali 91:8] And its enlightenment as to its wrong and its right;-
[Pickthal 91:8] And inspired it (with conscience of) what is wrong for it and (what is) right for it.
[Shakir 91:9] He will indeed be successful who purifies it,
[Yusufali 91:9] Truly he succeeds that purifies it,
[Pickthal 91:9] He is indeed successful who causeth it to grow,

Seconding Shasta�sAunt's above point, these verses say nothing about authorship of good and evil.  The creator of the above table should either check his references or read more carefully.

Serv

Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 5:08pm

Side note to Doo-bop,

Did I understand you to agree?   If so, I am knocked from my favorite WI-FI pub seat and have spilled my foam and brewski.

Serv

Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 5:16pm

"Seconding Shasta�sAunt's above point, these verses say nothing about authorship of good and evil.  The creator of the above table should either check his references or read more carefully."

Most of the people who create these tables do so under the assumption that those reading them will not bother to actually look up what is written in the Quran, but will rather gleefully repeat them verbatim to whoever will listen. Therefore they could have referenced verses that do not even exist, it wouldn't matter.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:34pm

Shasta�s Aunt wrote:  �Most of the people who create these tables do so under the assumption that those reading them will not bother to actually look up what is written in the Quran, but will rather gleefully repeat them verbatim to whoever will listen. Therefore they could have referenced verses that do not even exist, it wouldn't matter.�

True, that.  But they can�t try to pawn it off on us.  It�s good to be diligent students.

To fast forward and address point #6.

�YHWH loves sinners and reaches out to his enemies in love. (Exodus 34:5�7; 1 John 4:19)�

Vs.

�[The Israelite Judge] Ehud then approached [the king of Moab]  � and said, "I have a message from God for you." As the king rose from his seat, Ehud � drew [his] sword � and plunged it into the king's belly. Even the handle sank in after the blade, which came out his back. Ehud did not pull the sword out, and the fat closed in over it. (Judges 3:20-23)�

Serv

Edited by Servetus - 20 April 2008 at 6:36pm
Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 4:49am
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

Allah is the Arabic word for God.

I think it would behoove the poster to read the actual Quranic verses referenced here.

Part 1:

Ash-Shams (The Sun)

91:5 By the Firmament and its (wonderful) structure;

91:6 By the Earth and its (wide) expanse:

91:7 By the Soul, and the proportion and order given to it;

91:8 And its enlightenment as to its wrong and its right;-

91:9 Truly he succeeds that purifies it,

I agree with you that the verses given in the table seem to bear no relation to what the author is saying, which is very strange.

So are you saying that Allah is not the name of your God?   Could you perhaps comment on this, from a Lahori website:-

Again, you have to wonder why the producer of the table does not give an exact quranic reference if he is claiming that it is found in the Quran

Edited by peacemaker - 24 April 2008 at 10:38am
"Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" - John the Baptizer (John 1:29)
Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Servetus Servetus wrote:

Side note to Doo-bop,

Did I understand you to agree?   If so, I am knocked from my favorite WI-FI pub seat and have spilled my foam and brewski.

Serv

Servetus - are you on the fizzy drinks again? tut tutLOL  ---Actually, I did not understand why that particular question arose in your mind.  I don't know why it should be said that Ishmael and Muhammad should have known the name Yahweh.

Re Isaiah 45:7 (Amos 3:6 is another one), the Hebrew word (I am told) is rah, meaning evil, but not necessarily moral evil, or sin.  It refers to disaster/adversity, such as befell Sodom, certainly brought about by God, to be the sure result of sin, not the sin itself.  It is translated as calamity in NASB and NKJV, as disaster in NIV, and as woe in RSV

Edited by Doo-bop - 21 April 2008 at 5:12am
Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Servetus Servetus wrote:

Shasta�s Aunt wrote:  �Most of the people who create these tables do so under the assumption that those reading them will not bother to actually look up what is written in the Quran, but will rather gleefully repeat them verbatim to whoever will listen. Therefore they could have referenced verses that do not even exist, it wouldn't matter.�

True, that.  But they can�t try to pawn it off on us.  It�s good to be diligent students.

To fast forward and address point #6.

�YHWH loves sinners and reaches out to his enemies in love. (Exodus 34:5�7; 1 John 4:19)�

Vs.

�[The Israelite Judge] Ehud then approached [the king of Moab]  � and said, "I have a message from God for you." As the king rose from his seat, Ehud � drew [his] sword � and plunged it into the king's belly. Even the handle sank in after the blade, which came out his back. Ehud did not pull the sword out, and the fat closed in over it. (Judges 3:20-23)�

Serv

I don't know what you mean here.  It looks like a non-point.  The fact that God comes in in final judgement on an individual or individuals does not mean he has not gone out in mercy and love to them up to that point.  God has his cut-off point, and has made that abundantly clear in the Bible
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic