IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Clarification needed  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clarification needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 8:48pm
Salam to everyone!

Any specific reason for not allowing marriage between a Muslim and a non-Muslim? I heard that Quran talks about equality. But what equality does it teach?

Because everyone knows that love is not a choice or a decision. It directly comes from God, as a decree. If we do not follow that decree, we will be punished it here itself, isn't it?

If I want to be a Muslim, in which sect will I be included considering me as a Hindu?
And if my would be wants to change to my religion, what will her status be according to Islam?

And if we talk about sin, no one in the whole world is a Muslim by the word or deed. Everyone including the non-Muslims will be in hell.

Thank you.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 8:56pm

The One God's peace be upon you!

I do agree with bro Rami and Sister Ummziba on this matter.....We are merly talking about Islamic law and what the guidelines are. However I understand the intimate love you both have for each other and as the brothers and sisters here  have said it is considered a sin. I however as a human being cannot say what you do is wrong. You in fact, love her and she loves you and if you accept her for who she is and vice versa then I have to say its right. However I do not condone what she does as a Muslim. I also echo what the brothers and sisters here say. Because she married a non-Muslim she doesn't cease to be Muslim. There are Muslims who perform many sinful vices but God, whom is your lord and mine is so merciful that if you truly feel what you've done in your life was morally wrong then he is all forgiving.

Me personally I've seen the beauty of marriage of different couples of various religious backgrounds and on a religious level I cannot say I condone it, but if you love her and she loves you then Godspeed!

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 9:11pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

salam

Any specific reason for not allowing marriage between a Muslim and a non-Muslim? I heard that Quran talks about equality. But what equality does it teach?

Yes Allah has forbiden it specificaly in the Quran. The teachings of the Quran are taken as a whole we dont pick and choose as we like.

Because everyone knows that love is not a choice or a decision. It directly comes from God, as a decree. If we do not follow that decree, we will be punished it here itself, isn't it?

That is not true, of any religion i know. We do not believe love is a decree from god. We dont have a say in many things are they also from god? people are atracted to many things and love comes and goes. Much of it is simply desire rather than love.

If I want to be a Muslim, in which sect will I be included considering me as a Hindu?

You can not be a hindu and a muslim at the same time, muslims believe in one God. The majority of Muslims are Sunni if she is sunni then i supose that would be the logical path.

If you mean you want to be a muslim coming from hindu background then your background does not matter, Islam wipes away all sins of the past when you choose to be a muslim, you will not be held responsible for any past sins.

And if my would be wants to change to my religion, what will her status be according to Islam?

She will no longer be a Muslim and her punishment would be severe in the next life.

And if we talk about sin, no one in the whole world is a Muslim by the word or deed. Everyone including the non-Muslims will be in hell.

Comiting a sin does not make a person a non muslim, so no only those who sin and not repent will be punished.

Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
ummsalam View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsalam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 9:18pm
"Any specific reason for not allowing marriage between a Muslim and a non-Muslim? I heard that Quran talks about equality. But what equality does it teach? "

asalamu alaikum.
For a man, it is okay for him to marry a woman outside of Islam, but like earlier stated they have to be adhering to monothestic religion. For a woman, on the other hand, is not allowed to marry a non-Muslim man, because yes its said in the quran, but the reason behind that is because the child takes two things from the father, their religion and their name. And because Islam encourages conversions to Islam and not another religion, a woman needs a man who will give Islam to his children.
get what i mean
if i have said something wrong than please forgive me
jazakum Allahu khairan
asalamu alaikum
Arabian View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arabian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 11:21pm
ummsalam,

You are quite right actually.  In Islam a man is permitted to marry any woman belonging to the people of the book (dhimmi's).  A woman however can not marry into such relations.

In the case of the man, he can not impose any Muslim customs on the woman, and is not permitted to keep his wife from attending church or synagogue.

Peace,
Arabian
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:58am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Actualy Arabian it is obligatory that she be practicing her faith ie atending a church or synagog not simply be a christian or jew. She must be a reasonably moral person.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Arabian View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arabian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 10:11am

rami,

I never came across your claim in the Quran.  What I understood is that a man can intermarry but a woman can not.  Also, there are limits to marriage; a man can only marry among the people of the book.  I didn't see any claim as to whether the woman must be practicing her faith or not.

"And do not marry the polytheist women until they believe. A believing slave woman is better that a polytheist woman, even though the latter may please you. And do not marry your womenfolk to disbelieving men until they believe. A believing slave is better that a polytheist even though the latter may please you . . ." [Sura Al Baqarah/2:221]

A woman can be a believer and not actively practice her faith.

"This day all innately good things are lawful for you�Lawful to you are the chaste women from among those who have been given the Book before you. . . ." [Sura Al Ma'ida (5:6)]

Peace,
Arabian

The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 11:53am
Hello everyone!

This is really interesting and much more confusing...

My would be is a Sunni, and if I have to convert I would only convert to a more reasonable religion or sect.

What are the differences between a Sunni and a Shia?

Hey Rami, the most interesting part of the post is, "Islam wipes away all sins of the past when you choose to be a muslim, you will not be held responsible for any past sins."

What is the basis followed by you to consider a religion to be polytheistic or monotheistic? World has many religions and Quran talks only about Christianity and Judaism. It does not consider any of the East Asian religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucism, Taoism, Shintoism etc. There are much older civilizations like the Chinese and the Indian, but does not talk about them. And you have to study them to find out whether they are polytheistic or monotheistic. Isn't it?

Thank you.

Aparichitudu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic