IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why do Muslims  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do Muslims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do Muslims
    Posted: 30 January 2008 at 6:14pm

follow hadith when the Quran is supposed to be complete?

Is it possible that Mohammad was not finnished when he died?

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
seif the truth View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seif the truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 1:22am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Quran is more than enough. we as human part of our job is to be reminder so the hadith has more detials about Mohamed PBUH, it tells you what and how he did things, so you remember and do the same

now the quran tells you to pray but you find how to pray in Quran because allah thought mohamed how.

simple answer for you is this

if you follow quran one of the things Quran ask you to do it to follow Mohamed and all Prophets , so hadith will be good for you to  Follow the Prophet

Edited by seif the truth
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 2:06am
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

The Quran instructs us to do many things one major thing is to follow the advice of the prophet.

So if you follow the quran then follow what it says and that is to follow the sunnah.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 10:28am

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

The Quran instructs us to do many things one major thing is to follow the advice of the prophet.

Is the prophet omniscient and infallible?  The advice that he gave to his followers in Arabia 1400 years ago may have been wise and good for that time and place, but the world has changed dramatically.  How could he have known what would be wise and good for a Muslim living today?

Surely only Allah is perfect, and only His advice (i.e., the Quran) is timeless.  It seems to me that by treating the words of the prophet as equal to those of Allah Himself you risk making the prophet into another god.

layalee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote layalee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

The advice that he gave to his followers in Arabia 1400 years ago may have been wise and good for that time and place, but the world has changed dramatically.  How could he have known what would be wise and good for a Muslim living today?

Welcome to the IC forum. ( I saw your introduction message a couple days ago).

What dramatic changes would you say has took place in the world that the messages that the Prophet Mohammed (p.b.u.h) provides may not be of suffient guidance for the 'ways' of today?

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 12:15pm

Originally posted by layalee layalee wrote:

What dramatic changes would you say has took place in the world that the messages that the Prophet Mohammed (p.b.u.h) provides may not be of suffient guidance for the 'ways' of today?

What a question!  What changes have there been in 1400 years?  Organ transplants, air travel, nuclear weapons, contraception, indoor plumbing, computers, global warming, the printing press, antibiotics, cloning, ... I could go on and on.  And that's just the technology.  There have been huge changes in society, in geography (a whole new continent!), world politics, economics, etc.  The problems we face today, and the solutions available, are nothing like the ones that Mohammed faced.

Just one example: I've been reading the discussion of "Beards" with great interest and amusement.  Such a lot of fuss over something so trivial!  Who could possibly believe that Allah would care one way or another whether a man has a beard or not?  And if He did care, why would he not have said so in the Quran, which is supposedly complete and perfect?

Certainly, Mohammed urged his followers to grow their beards.  Why?  Maybe he just liked beards, I don't know.  Or maybe, as I think I read somewhere, he may have done so to distinguish his followers from a rival religion where the men were clean-shaven, so it may have made sense at the time.  But I'm willing to bet that that rival religion, whatever it was, is now long-gone; and in any case, the other major group that I think of with long beards is Orthodox Judaism!  So does it still make sense?

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 7:19pm

Is the prophet omniscient and infallible?

No but Allah is and in his Omniscient and infallible ways said follow the advice of the prophet. He also said in his infallible and perfect Quran the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] does not speak from his own desire but only what he has been instructed to speak.

If you dont know how to apply his advice and law in todays society that is your limitation due to your lack of knowledge,
try looking into Islamic law as apposed to simply thinking you can open the Quran and presto you have a legal ruling and you will have all your answers.

You make far to many assumptions for your arguments to hold water, the main hole in your argument is that everything he said is literal and only applies to the person he said it to in his exact circumstance.

Is praying now different from how it was back then, is fasting, hajj, divorce, inheritance, theft, murder, human nature!....the fact is all your examples are of new things that have come up not things that somehow change what he did speak about so you can say he didn't speak about "
Organ transplants, air travel, nuclear weapons, contraception, indoor plumbing, computers, global warming, the printing press, antibiotics, cloning" but what he did speak about hasn't changed.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 4:36pm

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Is the prophet omniscient and infallible?

No but Allah is and in his Omniscient and infallible ways said follow the advice of the prophet. He also said in his infallible and perfect Quran the prophet [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] does not speak from his own desire but only what he has been instructed to speak.

But surely this refers only to his recitation of the Quran!  The entire Sura (53) is about the divine revelation of the Quran, isn't it?

Quote Is praying now different from how it was back then, is fasting, hajj, divorce, inheritance, theft, murder, human nature!

I would say yes, most of those things are indeed different.  The new things I listed are not just new in themselves - they also affect the older things that the Prophet spoke about.  I am not a Muslim and don't know in detail what the Prophet said, so it is difficult for me to give you a specific example, but I will try.

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Prophet encouraged large families.  That may have made sense fourteen centuries ago because infant mortality was extremely high, the global population was small and resources were plentiful.  But now babies almost always live to adulthood, life expectancy has doubled or tripled, the planet has almost reached its capacity and resources are becoming scarce.  If the Prophet were alive today, do you think he would still be encouraging large families?  Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic