IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Truth is in Salafiyya!!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Truth is in Salafiyya!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abdul-Azeem'876 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Truth is in Salafiyya!!
    Posted: 30 January 2008 at 5:10pm

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. All Praise is do to Allah the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds; I bear witness that there is nothing worthy of worship except Allah having no partners or associates, and I bear witness that Muhammad is the servant and Messenger of Allah, May Allah send peace and blessings upon him, his family, his companions, and all those who follow him until the last day. I have compiled this treatise to shed some light on the issue and subject of the Salafi Menhaj do to individuals among the ummah today who maybe misinformed or maybe ignorant of the matter in order to help those individuals to have a better understanding of the stance of the Salafiyya approach to Islam. I ask Allah to accept my efforts in this task and I ask Allah to strengthen the unity of the Muslims upon the truth and the path of righteousness, Ameen.

I begin with the words of Allah in Surah Imran Ayat 102-105

"O you who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared, and die not except in a state of Islam. And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves; and remember with gratitude Allah's favour on you; for you were enemies and He joined your hearts in love, so that by His Grace, you became brethren; and you were on the brink of the pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make His Signs clear to you: That you may be guided. Let there arise out of you a band of people inviting to all that is good, enjoining what is right, and forbidding what is wrong: They are the ones to attain felicity. Be not like those who are divided amongst themselves and fall into disputations after receiving Clear Signs: For them is a dreadful penalty,"

The Salafiyya Menhaj (methodology) is a way of understanding Islam through the interpretation of the Salaf (righteous predecessors i.e. first three generations of Muslims.) and places all its jurisprudence upon Al-Qur'an and the Authentic Sunnah the way the Salaf understood it and refraining from all Bid'ah and Shirk. This is because the Salaf were the best Muslims for the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said: "The best people are those of my generation, followed by those who came after them, followed by those who came after them." (Sahih Al-Bukhari) Allah subhanahu wata'ala said "...Not equal among you are those who spent and fought before the conquering (of Makkah) (with those among you who did so later). Such are higher in degree than those who spent and fought afterwards. But to all, All�h has promised the best (reward). And All�h is All-Aware of what you do." (Surah Al-Hadid, 57:10) and "Indeed, All�h was pleased with the believers when they gave their Bai'� (pledge) to you (O Muhammad) under the tree, He knew what was in their hearts, and He sent down As-Sakinah (calmness and tranquillity) upon them, and He rewarded them with a near victory," (Surah Al-Fath, 48:18)

Allah Azza wa Jall said in Al-Qur'an Surah at-Tauba Ayah 100 "The Vanguard of Islam the first of those who forsook their homes and those who gave them aid, and also those who follow them in all good deeds, well pleased is Allah with them, as are they well pleased with Him. for them He has prepared gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein for ever: that is the supreme felicity." "the first of those who forsook their homes" were the Muhajiroon and "those who gave them aid" were the Ansaar and "also those who follow them in all good deeds" are those who follow them exactly in faith the Muslims who follow the way of the Salaf.

And in Surah an-Nisaa Ayah 115 Allah states; "Whoever opposes the Messenger after guidance has been made clear to him and follows a way other than that of the believers, I will leave him to his choice and place him in hell. And worst indeed is that destination. Allah stated this despite the fact that opposing the Messenger (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) alone guarantees punishment. At the time when the verse was revealed "the believers" were none other than the Companions of the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam).

Let us look at some more Ahadith;

The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said: "One group from my Ummah will always hold fast to truth and it will always have the assistance of Allah. No one who dissociated from it will be able to do harm to it up to the Day of Judgement." (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

�Abdullaah Ibn Mas�ud (radiyallaahu �anhu) said: "One day the Messenger of Allaah drew for us a straight line on the ground and said: 'This is the path of Allah.' Then he drew a number of other lines on the right and the left of the straight line, and said: 'These are pathways, on the head of each path is a shaytan calling people to it (himself).' Then he recited: "And verily this is My Path so follow it." (Ahmad (1/435, 465), an-Nisaa�ee (no. 184), ad-Daarimee (1/67-68). It was authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaanee in Sharhul-�Aqeedatit-Tahaawiyyah (no. 810))

Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (radiyallahu anhu): The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said, "You will follow the ways of those nations who were before you, span by span and cubit by cubit (i.e., inch by inch) so much so that even if they entered a hole of a mastigure, you would follow them." We said, "O Allah's Apostle! (Do you mean) the Jews and the Christians?" He said, "Whom else?" (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu �alayhi wa sallam) said: "The Jews have split and divided into seventy-one sects and the Christians have split and divided into seventy-two sects and my Ummah would split into seventy-three sects. All of these sects will be in the Fire except one." They said, "And which one is this O Messenger of Allah?" He said: "The Jamaa�ah." (Related by at-Tirmidthee (no. 2641). It was authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaanee in Silsilatul-Ahaadeethus-Saheehah (no. 1348).)

In the phrase of Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaa'ah, Sunnah means the way and practice followed by the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) and the Sahaba (companions of the Prophet). The Heretical innovations and different creeds has not come into being til then. The word Jamaa'ah stands for the people who assemble. Here it means those Sahaba and the Tabi'een (the generation immediately following the Sahaba) who unanimously accepted the truth proved from the Qur'an and the Hadith and gathered together. In another narration the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: This Ummah will get divided into 73 Firqah, and except one Firqah all the others will be destined to hell. That one Firqah will be such as will follow my way and the way of my companions." (At-Tirmidhi) {Firqah is used to denote a group of people or a sect}

Abdullah ibn Mas'ud (radiyallahu anhu) once said: "If you are willing to follow a good example, then you have an option in the tradition of the deceased, because the living are likely to fall as easy prey to oppression (so they might hesitate in faith). Follow the step of Muhammad's Companions. They were the best in this nation, the most pious, the most learned and the least compromising. Allah chose them to accompany the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) and establish His religion. Therefore, become familiar with their virtues, follow their righteous way and adhere as much as you can to their manners and assimilate their biography, for indeed they followed the unwavering guidance." (Reported by Ruzain, Miskatul Masabih 1/32)

`Irbad bin Sariyah (radiyallahu anhu) reported: One day, Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) delivered a very effective speech, as a result, eyes shed tears and hearts became softened. A man said: "O Prophet of Allah! It sounds as if this is a farewell speech, so advise us.'' He (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said, "I admonish you to fear Allah, and to listen and obey even if a black slave has been appointed as your leader. For whoever among you lives after me will see much discord. So hold fast to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly-Guided Caliphs who will come after me. Adhere to them and hold fast to them. Beware of Bid`ah (in religion) because every Bid`ah is a misguidance.''[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

Imam ash-Shaatibee mentions: "Linguistically bid'ah (innovation) means 'a newly invented matter'. The Sharee'ah definition of Bid'ah is: "A newly invented way [beliefs or action] in the religion, in imitation of the Sharee'ah (Prescribed Law), by which nearness to Allah is sought, [but] not being supported by any authentic proof - neither in it foundations, nor in the manner in which it is performed. (Al-I'tisaam of ash-Shaatibee)

Jabir b. Abdullah said: When Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) delivered the sermon, his eyes became red, his voice rose. and his anger increased so that he was like one giving a warning against the enemy and saying:" The enemy has made a morning attack on you and in the evening too." He would also say:" The last Hour and I have been sent like these two." and he would join his forefinger and middle finger; and would further say:" The best of the speech is embodied in the Book of Allah, and the best of the guidance is the guidance given by Muhammad. And the most evil affairs are innovations; and every innovation is error...." (Sahih Muslim) Allah subhanahu wata'ala said: "Apart from truth what else can there be but error" (Qur'an 10:32)

Ibn Jarir recorded that Harun bin `Antarah said that his father said, "When the Ayah, (This day, I have perfected your religion for you...) was revealed, during the great day of Hajj (the Day of `Arafah, the ninth day of Dhul-Hijjah) `Umar cried. The Prophet said, `What makes you cry' He said, `What made me cry is that our religion is being perfected for us. Now it is perfect, nothing is perfect, but it is bound to deteriorate.' The Prophet said, (You have said the truth.)'' What supports the meaning of this Hadith is the authentic Hadith, (Islam was strange in its beginning and will return strange once more. Therefore, give glad tidings to the strangers.) (Tafsir Ibn Kathir)

Abdullah ibn Mas'ud (radiyallahu anhu) said, "Verily, we emulate and do not intiate and we follow and do not innovate." (Reported by al-Laalikaa'ee in usoolul-I'tiqaad, 1/86)

Abu Bakr as-Siddeeq (radiyallahu anhu) said, "Indeed, I am a follower and I am not an Innovator." (Reported in Kitaabus-Sifaat of Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisee)

Ibn Abbas (radiyallahu anhu) said, Verily the most detested of things to Allah, the Exalted, are the innovations." (Reported by al-Bayhaqee in Sunan al Kubraa)

Al-Layth ibn Sa'd (d. 175H) said, "If I saw a person of desires (i.e., innovations) walking upon the water I would not accept from him." So Imam ash-Shafi'ee then said, "He (al-Layth) has fallen short. If I saw him walking in the air I would not accept from him." (reported by as-Suyooti in Al-Amr bil-Ittibaa wan-Nahee anil-Ibtidaa)

Narrated Sahl bin Sa'd: I heard the Prophet saying, "I am your predecessor at the Lake-Fount (Kauthar), and whoever will come to it, will drink from it, and whoever will drink from it, will never become thirsty after that. There will come to me some people whom I know and they know me, and then a barrier will be set up between me and them." Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri added that the Prophet further said: "I will say those people are from me. It will be said, 'You do not know what changes and new things they did after you.' Then I will say, 'Far removed (from mercy), far removed (from mercy), those who changed (the religion) after me!" [Sahih Al-Bukhari]

Now people have this idea that Salafiyya is something new when in reality many of the Ulama of the past knew the importance of following the way of the Salaf because it was already understood. Here are a few examples;

Imaam Abu Haneefah (Rahimahullaah) d. 769 C. E. (150 A. H.) said: "Adhere to the Athaar (narrations) and the Tareeqah (way) of the Salaf (Pious Predecessors) and beware of newly invented matters, for all of it is innovation." [Reported by As-Suyootee in Sawn al-Mantaq Wal -Kalaam, p. 32.]

Ahmad Ibn Hanbal (Rahimahullaah) said: "The Fundamental principles of the Sunnah with us are 1.Holding fast to what the companions of the messenger of Allah were upon. 2. Taking them and their way as a model to be followed. 3. The abandonment of innovations and every innovation is a misguidance." (From Ahmad ibn Hanbal's Usool-us-Sunnah)

Imam As-Saaboonee (Rahimahullaah) (d. 449H) said about Ahlus-Sunnah, "They follow the Salafus-Saalih the Imams and the Scholars of the Muslims, and they cling to the firm deen that they clung to and the clear truth. And they hate Ahul-Bid'ah who innovate into the Deen that which is not from it. They do not love them and they do not keep company with them." (Risaalah fil-I'riqaad Ahlis-Sunnah Ashaabil-Hadeeth,)

Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullaah) said: "There is no blame on the one who manifests, proclaims the way of the Salaf, who attaches himself to it and refers to it. Rather, it is obligatory to accept that from him by unanimous agreement (Ittifaaq), because the way of the Salaf is nothing but the Truth" [From Majmoo al-Fataawaa, 4:149.]

Imaam al-Asbahaanee (d.535H) - (Rahimahullaah) - said: "The sign of Ahlus-Sunnah is that they follow the Salafus-Saalih and abandon all that is innovated and newly introduced into the Deen." [Al-Hujjah fee Bayaanil Mahajjah 1/364]

Imaam adh-Dhahabee (d.748H) - (Rahimahullaah) - said: "It is authentically related from ad- Daaraqutnee that he said: There is nothing more despised by me than 'irnul-kalaam (innovated speech and rhetorics). I say: No person should ever enter into 'ilmul-kalaam, nor argumentation. Rather, he should be Salafee (a follower of the Salaf)." [Siyar 16/457]

Another misconception some muslims have even individuals who claim to be Salafi is that the Salafiyya Menhaj is Anti-Mathhab but when Shaykh Abdullah bin Abdur-Rahman Al-Jibreen was asked; "I do not know any of the four Mathhabs which I might follow, so is it permissible for me to choose any Mathhab? Shaykh Ibn Jibreen answered by saying; "The Four Mathhabs agree upon the essentials, that is, in beliefs; they only differ over matters of Ijtihad in question of Fiqh due to their different understanding and opinions on matters and differing degrees of knowledge. In spite of this, they are rewarded for their Ijtihad; whoever is right recieves two rewards, while whoever is wrong recieves one, and his mistake is forgiven, due to his good intention. It is therefore allowed for us to follow any of them in any matter except where it is clear that they are wrong, just as it is permitted to take the most prepoderant view from every Mathhab." {Fatawa Islamiyah Vol. 1, Book of Knowledge, pg. 371}

This is so because there are guidelines for following the Mathhabs and none of the four Imams said to follow them blindly.

Abu Haneefah (rahimahullaah) said: "When I say something contradicting the Book of Allaah the Exalted or what is narrated from the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), then ignore my saying." (Al-Fulaani in Eeqaaz al-Himam (p. 50), tracing it to Imaam Muhammad and then saying, "This does not apply to the mujtahid, for he is not bound to their views anyway, but it applies to the muqallid.")

Ahmad ibn Hanbal (rahimahullaah) said: " "Do not follow my opinion; neither follow the opinion of Maalik, nor Shaafi'i, nor Awzaa'i, nor Thawri, but take from where they took." [Fulaani (p. 113) & Ibn al-Qayyim in I'laam (2/302).] 44

Imam Shafi'i (rahimahullaah) said: "If you find in my writings something different to the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), then speak on the basis of the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), and leave what I have said." (Harawi in Dhamm al-Kalaam (3/47/1), Khateeb in Al-Ihtijaaj bi ash-Shaafi'i (8/2), Ibn 'Asaakir (15/9/10), Nawawi in Al- Majmoo' (1/63), Ibn al-Qayyim (2/361) & Fulaani (p. 100); the second narration is from Hilyah al-Awliyaa' of Abu Nu'aim.)

Imam Malik (rahimahullaah) said: "Truly I am only a mortal: I make mistakes (sometimes) and I am correct (sometimes). Therefore, look into my opinions: all that agrees with the Book and the Sunnah, accept it; and all that does not agree with the Book and the Sunnah, ignore it. (Ibn 'Abdul Barr in Jaami' Bayaan al-'Ilm (2/32), Ibn Hazm, quoting from the former in Usool al-Ahkaam (6/149), & similarly Al-Fulaani (p. 72)

and Uthman ibn Foodee said in his book hidaayah ut-Tullab "Neither Allah in his book, nor the Prophet in his sunnah made it obligatory that one particular madhhab should be followed, nor did we hear any of the early scholars enjoining a person to follow one way."

Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih Al-Uthaymeen (rahimahullaah) was asked: When encountering a difficult issue, do you advise the student of knowledge not to stick to a madhhab, or [do you advise] to turn to a particular madhhab?

The Shaykh, (rahimahullaah), responded: If what is intended by sticking to a madhhab is that a person sticks to that madhhab, and turns away from everything else; whether the correct view lies in his madhhab or another madhhab - then this is not permissible, and is from the blameworthy and bigotted partisanship. But if a person ascribes to a particular madhhab in order to benefit from its principles and guidelines, but he refers it back to the Book and the Sunnah; [such that] if it becomes clear to him that the preferred view lies in another madhhab, he then adopts that view - then there is no problem with this.

As Allah Azza wa Jall says in Surah 4:59-61 "O you who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you. If you differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if you do believe in Allah and the Last Day: That is best, and most suitable for final determination. Hast thou not turned Thy vision to those who declare that they believe in the revelations that have come to thee and to those before thee? Their (real) wish is to resort together for judgment (in their disputes) to the Evil One, though they were ordered to reject him. But Satan's wish is to lead them astray far away (from the right). When it is said to them: "Come to what Allah hath revealed, and to the Messenger.: Thou seest the Hypocrites avert their faces from thee in disgust.

Ibn ul-Qayyim (Rahimahullaah) said "If you say "Allah said, and His Messenger said" the ignorant one will say "Where is the saying of so and so?"

In closing I leave you all with a quote from Sheikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taimiyah (rahimahullaah) who made a profound statement and said: "Indeed the people of Truth and the Sunnah do not follow anyone [unconditionally] except the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wassalam), the one who does not speak from his desires - it is only revelation revealed to him." (Majmoo'ah al-Fatawa)

So let us all hold fast to the Qur'an and the authentic Sunnah and return back to our deen the way it was understood by the best of nations the Salaf of the Ummah who were guided by our beloved Prophet and the book of Allah, otherwise we will lose the clear message and will continue to be disunited and wandering in confusion. Inshaa'Allah ta'ala this has made clear for you to understand the position of the Salafi methodology for it is the correct way and the only ones who deny that are Ahlul Bid'ah. Allah says "cover not truth with falsehood, nor conceal the truth when you know what it is. (Qur'an 2:42)

Edited by Abdul-Azeem'876
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic