IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim names/arabic names  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim names/arabic names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim names/arabic names
    Posted: 27 January 2008 at 9:44pm

I think there needs some clarifying points here. I've been in discussions about this before about the names, and i know I am right and others agree.

At the moment there is much emphasis on muslims names. I have noticed this is in quite a few posts where muslims mention 'muslim names' but the fact is, its arabic/middle eastern. The fact is some people who are not muslim, don't follow Islam also have these names.

Some people even say islamic names, which I also believe is an incorrect term. 

The names were around before Muhammed came along and perfected Islam, so really there's no muslim name.

I think its a mistake and incorrect to assume that if one has a name they are deemed a muslim.

I know there are non muslims who are named Aisha, Yasmine, Fatima, even Muhammad, to give a small example.

Not everyone who is born in the middle east or born from middle eastern families is muslim  but still have the names.

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
layalee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote layalee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 10:13pm

When naming our Muslim children, their is a  need to focus more importantly on the meaning beyond the name. Just because it is arabic does not make it suitable for it to be a 'islamic name'.

nu001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nu001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 11:48pm

Angel, you are absolutely right. It's Arabic name not necessarily Islamic name. Just like the word 'Allah' is also arabic and used by both Muslims and christians alike, for God.

"Al-Quran-The only Straight path to success. Alhamdulillah"
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 2:21am
You are right.

Btw, many muslims, though they like to keep Arabic names, will also have other names in thier local-language, and as long as the meaning is something in accordance with Islam . . .It is considered completely Islamic. There is no such Injuction in Islam to name kids Aisha, Muhammad etc. If people do so, it is purely out of love for the Prophet and his companions. . . and hope that thier kid will also grow up to be like thier namesake.

Also, the Prophet did not make changing the name a requirement for converts. They kept thier pre-islamic name, as long as it did not have an unsuitable meaning. E.g some were named after idols, e.g 'Slave of Laat' or 'Slave of Uzza' . . . Only then would the Prophet ask them to change thier names. Even then, the surname was always kept intact to preserve the person's identity. Which is why even today, Converts who have Islamic Knowledge retain thier surnames, and sometimes even first names e.g AbdurRahim Green , Yusuf Estes , Dawud Wharnsby , Yvonne Ridley. All these are famous converts. Its even ok to continue to be David, Joseph, Ishmael, since only the pronounciation is different . . . essentially the name is referring to the Prophets.

In my countries, many pious muslims have completely local names, unarabic . .  . yet the names are very islamic e.g Pakeeza (means Pure) , . . Arabic does not have the letter/pronounciation "P". . .
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 9:38am
Smile
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
maynoor View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maynoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 8:54am
salam aleykom ..
i want to add, that there are muslims with a non-arab and non muslim names, like Susan, Diana,(in jordan and egypt) and melissa, lynda , lilia etc...in north africa Sleepy
umershazi View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umershazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 7:43am
Awesome!! It�s just what I need!! Thanks!............

Muslim Names
marsiay View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marsiay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2011 at 2:49am
I am agree with your statement.
We can't consider that people is Muslim by religion if she/he names by muslim name.

Muslim baby names
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic