IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Female Circumcision  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Circumcision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

As an answer, here is a link for your perusal.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamO nline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=111950354388 6

Salam.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Jazak Allah Khair for the link. May Allah guide us all. 

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 5:12pm

From the link: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamO nline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=111950354388 6

"However, the most moderate opinion and the most likely one to be correct is in favor of practicing circumcision in the moderate Islamic way indicated in some of the Prophet's hadiths � even though such hadiths are not confirmed to be authentic. It is reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said to a midwife: "Reduce the size of the clitoris but do not exceed the limit, for that is better for her health and is preferred by husbands". The hadith indicates that circumcision is better for a woman's health and it enhances her conjugal relation with her husband. It�s noteworthy that the Prophet's saying "do not exceed the limit" means do not totally remove the clitoris."

"even though such hadiths are not confirmed to be authentic."

How can I take something that is not confirmed as authentic?

"It is reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said to a midwife: "Reduce the size of the clitoris but do not exceed the limit, for that is better for her health and is preferred by husbands""

Is this an authentic hadith? This sentence is directly after about talking that such hadiths (even though there is no examples) are not confirmed authentic.

We have this other article which is in opposition, from: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=11195035458 26&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FF atwaEAskTheScholar

"While one finds a number of traditions from the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, which clearly indicates that he ordered pagan males who converted to undergo circumcision, it is not stated anywhere that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, ordered any woman who entered Islam to undergo this practice.

Because there is no absolute proof from the sources of Islam prescribing female circumcision, the vast majority of scholars do not include it in the OBLIGATORY rituals of Islam.

It is common knowledge in Islam that if the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, had wanted female circumcision to be an integral aspect of religious practice in Islam the same way that male circumcision is, he would have said so clearly. Since he did not do so, we can safely assume it is not a prescribed ritual of Islam." "

We have here:

"there is no absolute proof from the sources of Islam prescribing female circumcision, the vast majority of scholars do not include it in the OBLIGATORY rituals of Islam."

It is common knowledge in Islam that if the Prophet, wanted female circumcision to be an integral aspect of religious practice, he would have said so clearly. he did not so, not a prescribe ritual of islam.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 5:46pm

I would like to know how one can take it upon themselves to know that something is better or of good for another especially in this department and of sexual relations. Everyone is different, both man and woman have differing degrees of what makes them feel good and pleases them. SO I do not know how one can say its better for relations or preferred by men/husbands. This is an assumption, assuming that what was good for you or worked for you DOESN'T make it so with another person or couple. Sure you can give advice based what what you did and the other can try it. But taking on the position that for all it is better or preferred by husbands is wrong, the better way of saying it if you are counselling is that some for them think its better or that some men prefer it but it may or may not be the thing for you.

If Prophet Muhammed actually said that's better for their heath and preferred by husbands is just making assumptions that may not be of the benefit to many others.

If there is no islamic sources for it and the Prophet did not say so (as per Sheikh Ahmad Kutty mentioned) then female circumcision should not be performed at all! Using the term "its not obligatory" to make it all right to do so is not right and I consider it wrong. It's like justifying it because some scholars don't obligatory prescribe it in islamic rituals and/or its barely mentioned. I guess the question can be asked is why don't these scholars obligatory prescribe it ? Afterall if it is something that Prophet Muahmmed talked about and perferred it, like male circumcision, then shouldn't it be an obligatory part of islamic rituals ? 

Edited by Angel
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 6:07pm
p.s: in the last paragraph, some thing is going to come back and bite me
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 7:39am

This debate about female circumcision is based on a weak hadith. A weak hadith cannot be rejected as easily as a false hadith, especially if it had proofs that it has some benefits to oneself.

The answers to all these debates is in the results. Other than agreeing what Martha said "The only way to know is to ask a man who has had sex with both kinds of woman, one with a hood, one without." The other is in finding out the results of this practise in communities that had it.

I have never found anything wrong with this practice which is common in my community. There is no problems with relationship between husbands and wives regarding sex and now that it I knew that it helps to curb the excess libido of a woman. I had explained that to my teenage daughter and let her see the hikmah behind this.

I always like to think that whatever sunnah whether weak or not, always has its wisdom. And no other religion gives protection to its women in regards to fornication other than Islam.

Subhanallah!

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 8:14am

Nur_Ilahi,

The main issue here with me is that you conatantly keep associating libodo with the clitoral hood and several people here have told you that the clitoral hood is not associated with libido. You may also know that the reaosn this practice is not problematic to you is because as you mentioned, it is commonplace in your country. Obviously someone who grows up around this practice and finds it common will not see anything wrong with it. You also posed the inquiry that if we want to see if there are benefits we should ask a man who has had intercourse with both, but my hunch is that there is no significant difference but then there is no way to tell, but WHO CARES what the man thinks its not his body!

Nur_Ilahi I'm not suggesting in any way to tell you how to raise your children but you could possibly give out false information to your children by telling them the enlarged clitoral hood relates to the libido therefore, trim the clitoral hood. This is bad information in my opinion.

Nur_Ilahi the following should be read by you to know what the libido is:

The Female Body manufactures many types of Estrogen but only one Progesterone and Natural Progesterone is the Source of Libido or Sex Drive in Women!

Sources of Natural Progesterone

Natural Progesterone is normally produced by the female ovaries right after ovulation and balances the side effects of otherwise unopposed estrogen.

Under the influences of dietary estrogens, petrochemicals, stress, and menopause, Progesterone production ceases or is suppressed and the effects of Estrogen Dominance, can be observed.

Most women experience Loss of Libido, mood swings, irritability, anger, depression, headaches and weight gain from the lack of Progesterone that is required for proper thyroid function.

See Ref: http://www.health-science.com/libido.html

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 9:07am

And no other religion gives protection to its women in regards to fornication other than Islam.

Nur_Ilahi, you are totally WRONG in this assumption that other religions do not protect their women concerning fornication. I was previously in another religion that taught both young men and young women the perils of fornication. In fact that particular religion has excellent teachings for all, in every subject you care to think about.

Some of them are as follows:- no smoking, no alcohol, no sex before marriage, modest dress... the list can go on and on.

Perhaps I do not understand your statement on this. can you explain further?

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:47pm

Salaams Nur,

I think people are just going to disagree.

We all have differing knowledges and information.

And let me ask you, how do you know if people have problems? Often women have no idea that they might be "missing something." Sex is not talked about as openly.. do people really talk about not having orgasms? Would people complain or just "accept." Do they know about it? Would they really ever refuse their husbands anyway... so. Sex may not "hurt" but are they truly enjoying everything they should have.  I have lived in Paksitan and people are quite private. And then if their husbands are not satisfied, women are not likely to complain. They will be blamed 95% of the time.  

If everyone "does it" how do people know they might be missing something? I suspect schools don't teach sex ed there.

I agree with Martha, Islam is not the only religion to protect women from fornification.  I know no where in Judaism or Christianity that allows people to have sex outside of marriage.  I grew up Catholic and it was considered a sin...so...

It is odd to me that you would seek to control your daughter's libido with no proof that she has "excess" if that is your concern. Islam is about empowing us. I take account for my actions. I answer for my good deeds and bad so to speak. But I am responsible. I feel strong for that.  It would feel odd if my mother had presumed I would not have the self-control (and my bothers would).  (If that is the case we should take the equivalent out of men, what would "lower" their libido??...hmmm).

And as it is MEN who are much more likely to cheat, fornicate, why aren't we doing it to them. 75%, I mean 75% of all AIDS cases that affect women they get from husband or spouse. 75%. Scary. She is monogamous. He is not. She gets a disease from him and dies. So why anyone is so worried about the girls is beyond my comprehension. I'd be worried about her husband your daughter marries. He will be more likely to cheat, not cause she was circumcised. Cause its the way men are. Not all men are.. But many. 

I guess it is a little upsetting to think that people do cut up their girls to "control" their "libido". You know in China they used to footbind their women so they would not "leave" or runway.

Ayways about controlling the women..

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic