IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Taqwa, It’s Necessity and Various Grades  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taqwa, It’s Necessity and Various Grades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taqwa, It’s Necessity and Various Grades
    Posted: 10 June 2005 at 1:01pm

The Following is an authenic Hadith from the Holy Messenger which is given in the Collection of Hadith called "The Latern of the Path" by Imam Jafar As'Sadiq, who was the Sixth Imam according to Shia and is also considered the founder of the Jafari Mathhab according to mainstream Sunni traditions.

SOURCE: http://www.rafed.net/books/other-lang/mesbah/

" Precaution (taqwa) has three facets
1.Precaution by dependence on Allah (SWT), which means leaving behind contradiction and going beyond any shade of doubt, and this is the precaution exercised by the highest.

2.The precaution of Allah (SWT), which means to abandon all doubtful matters and to leave the forbidden (haram) alone; this is the precaution of the elite.

3.The precaution of the Fire and Punishment, which results in leaving alone what is forbidden; this is the precaution of the general public.

Precaution is like water flowing in a river. The three levels of precaution are like trees of every colour and variety planted on the bank of that river, each tree absorbing water from that river according to its essence, capacity, delicateness and thickness.

Then the benefits which creatures take from these trees and fruits are according to their value and worth. Allah (SWT) said,

Palm trees having one root and [others] having distinct roots - they are watered with one water, and We make some of them excel others in fruit. (Q. 13:4)

Precaution in acts of obedience to Allah (SWT) is like water for the trees, and the natures of the trees and their fruits in their colours and tastes are like the measures of belief. Whoever has the highest degree in belief and the purest nature with respect to the soul has the greatest precaution. He who is precautious has the purer and more sincere worship: whoever is like that is nearer to Allah (SWT).

But every act of devotion that is founded on something other than precaution comes to nothing. Allah (SWT) said,

Is he, therefore, better who laid his foundation on fear of Allah and [His] good pleasure, or he who laid his foundation on the edge of a cracking, hollowed bank, so it broke down with him into the fire of Hell? (Q. 9:109)

The explanation of precaution is to avoid entering an affair which contains no harm simply out of fear of one which does. It is, in reality, obedience without rebellion, remembrance without forgetfulness, knowledge without ignorance, and it is accepted by Allah (SWT) and not rejected."

COMMENTS WELCOMED AND ENCOURAGED!

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2005 at 2:00am

"The explanation of precaution is to avoid entering an affair which contains no harm simply out of fear of one which does." Explain?

I think alot of people feel threatened, i do sometimes too, when i read the stuff on the news or from some posts, it sometimes makes it seem like islam is under threat. But then i remember the signs. The reality is this: believers are not under threat, the unjust always are. Allah saves the believers in this life and the next. So fear Allah and have patience, this will cause you to put off any choice untill there is no other choice but justice(the right "choice"). And when you feel threatened look at yourself and try to better yourself for Allah. Nothing matters but Him, and pleasing Him is what brings success.

Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 7:15am

Salam Community,

Of course, this hadith was originally in Arabic from the collection from Imam Jafar A-Sadiq entitled "Latern of the Path". This is well known and widely circulated work. If any brother (or sister) who speaks fluent Arabic and owns this book can read it in Arabic and give us your opinion about the accuracy of the translation, it would be helpful.

Let me give you a basic explanation, which is an extrapolation from other books I have read on this subject.

The concept of "Taqwa" has no short (and meaningful) translation into English that I have seen (which is why I included the entire hadith). I have seen (and heard) it translated as "Fear of Allah", "Piety", " Precaution in religion", etc. Just about every academic book I have read on the subject translates (and explains) it in a slightly different way.

The idea is that, one a person first becomes Muslims they are concerned with only the "Halal" (i.e., permissable) and "Haram" (i.e., forbidden). Once a Muslim progresses in his faith (i.e., he performs the obligatory actions, confines himself to the permissable and avoids the forbidden things) he/she will naturally want to progress in faith (or "move closer" to Allah (s.w.a.)). It is at this stage of faith that understanding Taqwa is important. Taqwa is also often associate with the concepts of Mustahab (recommended) and Makroo (discouraged).

EXAMPLE:

As long as the food that you eat is Halal, there is no specific limit on how much food you can eat. However, as one progresses spritually, one would not want to over-eat because of the physical (and more importantly) the spiritual harm that it creates. The avoidance of overeating is said by the Ulama to be a sign of a person who has Taqwa, i.e., he is not only avoiding the Haram (i.e., eating pork, drinking alcohol, etc.), but he is exercising "precaution" by eating small portions and controlling his desire to over-eat.

Salam 

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 11:52am

salaamun alaykum Ali Zaki,

I find this hadith from the book "the latern of the path" true and reassuring in surat TaHa we find this verse: Taa Haa, We have not sent down upon thee the koran so that you will become sorrowful, it is but a reminder to those who fear" I do not wish to insult guided people but if people hold true that the prophet ordered the burning of ahadith, and that after the prophet died there were two camps, one against writing down ahadith and another who did not oppose it and we look at the first category of taqwa according to the hadith you mentioned 1.Precaution by dependence on Allah (SWT), which means leaving behind contradiction and going beyond any shade of doubt, and this is the precaution exercised by the highest. Leaving behind any contradiction and going beyond any shade of doubt, the prophet ordered the burning of the ahadith collected by people, and after his death they started writing them down. So to me writing down ahadith is a disobediance to the prophet. Also dependance on Allah, means dependance on Allah not the words of the prophet but rather the koran. Moreover if we look at this hadith, do you really think if this hadith was not written down that this hadith would not still exist today amongst the true faithful? and true faithful will see eachother and listen to eachother, but now with all these books of ahadith and books about books of ahadith, even corrupt people can justify themselves with this so called knowledge. If all they had was the koran maybe they would read it and their hearts would be healed, but instead they listen to ahadith about each verse, So how do we solve this problem? by obeying Allah and the messenger of Allah.

Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 12:05pm

Salam Community,

With all my respect to you, I'm not taking the bait this time!

This really doesn't have anything to do with this thread, and the neccessity of dependence upon authentic hadith and the well-established science of hadith is NOT a contraversial issue among the Muslim Umma (or members of this forum). If you would like to discuss this issue, please start another thread. I would suggest posting in "Basics of Islam" (which is more appropriate).

One more thing, The Quran can ALSO be used to justify all kinds of crimes and oppression (ala "Sheik Osama") in the hands of person with a diesed heart. A fire can destroy, but it can also give heat and light. Fires itself is just a tool (and a mercy) given to us by Allah (s.w.a) for our benefit, as is Quran and Hadith.

Salam

Imam Ali (a.s.)
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 12:15am

7:176  and If we wished, We would have elevated him with it; but he inclined to the earth, and followed his own vain desires. His similitude is that of a dog: if you attack him, he lolls out his tongue, or if you leave him alone, he lolls out his tongue. That is the similitude of those who belie Our signs; So relate the story; perchance they may reflect. Chapter: the high places/ surat al A'raaf.

6:68 When thou seest men engaged in arguing about Our signs, turn away from them unless they turn to a different theme(hadeeth). If Satan ever makes thee forget, then after recollection, sit not thou in the company of those who wrong.  On their account no responsibility falls on the righteous, but to remind them, that they may fear Allah.  Leave alone those who take their religion as play and amusement and are deceived by the life of this world. And remind with it, that every soul delivers itself to ruin by its own acts: it will find for itself no protector or intercessor except Allah. if it justified with every justification, it will not be taken from her(the soul): such are those who delivered themselves to ruin by their own acts: they will have for drink (only) boiling water, and for a painful torment for that which they used to deny/cover up/being ungrateful.

Say: "Shall we indeed call on others besides Allah,- things that can do us neither good nor harm,- and turn on our heels after receiving guidance from Allah. - like one whom the evil ones have made into a fool, wandering bewildered through the earth, his friends calling him to the guidance, come to us." Say: the guidance of Allah is the guidance, and we have been directed to surrender willingly to The Lord of the worlds;-

Dakhalnaa 'alaikum bi Allah wa dhahabnaa minkum bi Allah. we entered upon you with Allah and we went away from you with Allah.

Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 9:30am

Salam to Community,

He said: Abu Bakr Muhammad b. Umar al-Je'abi reported to me from Abul Abbas, Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Saeed al-Hamadani, who reported from Abu Musa, Harun b. Amru al-Majaashei, who reported from Muhammad b. Ja'far b. Muhammad, from his father, who reported from his grandfather that:

The Prophet (peace be upon him and his progeny), said: "A learned man among the ignorant people is like a living person among the dead. And everything, including the fish, the poisonous vermins, the wild beasts and the cattle pray for the forgiveness of the one who seeks knowledge. So, seek knowledge, for surely, it is a conducive mean between you and Allah, Most High. And surely, seeking of knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim."

AS FOR ME, I am here to seek knowledge (not to argue) as is my Islamic duty.

He said: Abu Bakr Muhammad b. Umar b. Salim reported to me from Abul Abbas Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Saeed, who reported from Ahmad b. Yusuf, who reported from Muhammad b. Yazid who reported from Ahmad b. Rizq, from Abu Ziyad al-Fuqaymi, from Abu Abdillah, Ja'far b. Muhammad (AS), from his father (AS), from Ali b. al-Husain (AS) who reported that:

The Prophet, peace be upon him and his progeny, said: "When you see a person not engaging in a purposeless chatter, then that is the sign of his excellent (understanding of) Islam."

THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS TO DISCUSS A SPECIFIC SUBJECT (TAQWA). SO, WHAT IS THE REASON FOR YOUR QUOTES, AND HOW TO THEY RELATE TO THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD?

Imam Ali (a.s.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic