IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Miswak - A forgotten Sunnah.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miswak - A forgotten Sunnah.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miswak - A forgotten Sunnah.
    Posted: 14 January 2008 at 11:24pm

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Last days, i received a gift from a relative who returned from there  journey of Hajj. This gift made me very happy, as it convinced me that they remembered me in  there prayers. Khair, when i opened my pack, amongst all other items in it, i found few sticks which caught my attention. Soon it flashed my mind - MISWAAK !!!!, - A sunnah forgotten.

I knew that it was a sunnah, but was n't practicing it. Incidentally, happened to hear a lecture over it. So i thought to share it with IC. For those who had forgotten this sunnah, this thread may be a revival of its importance. May Allah swt, guide us in following this sunnah strictly.

"He who holds on firmly to my Sunnah at a time when my Ummah are (grovelling) in corruption will receive a reward of a hundred martyrs."

And, indeed the MISWAAK IS A GREAT SUNNAH.

Let's learn what a miswak is.

A miswak, or siwak, is a softened small stick with which the teeth are rubbed and cleaned. The end is shaped into a brush through biting or chewing, which serve to separate the fibers and release the healing herbal powers of the twig. Some advantages of the miswak are that is does not require toothpaste, water or a special area to use it, and may be easily carried in one's purse or pocket. It is also disposable and biodegradable - therefore, it is the ultimate environmentally safe toothbrush. Some people even believe it works better than a toothbrush.

Nevertheless, a more compelling reason to use the miswak is that it is Sunnah to do so.

Abu Hurairah reported that Prophet Mohammad (saws) said, "Were it not that I might overburden believers, I would have ordered them to use the miswak at every prayer" (Imam Muslim, Vol. 1).

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
 The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Had I not thought it difficult for my Ummah, I would have commanded them to use the Miswak (tooth-stick) before every Salat.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

We learn from this Hadith that the Prophet (PBUH) liked to clean his teeth with Miswak with every Salat, but he did not made it obligatory for the reason that it would be inconvenient for his followers. It shows that he was extremely affectionate and kind to his Ummah.

According to researchers it is this regular cleaning of the teeth, along with a proper diet, that makes the difference between healthy and unhealthy teeth. Keeping your teeth clean is as important Islamically as it is medically. It is as difficult to envision speaking to Allah (through prayer) with bad breath and dirty teeth as it is to envision speaking to a friend when you are suffering from bad breath and dirty teeth. The Prophet himself (saws), used to use the miswak before every prayer (Sahih Muslim, Vol.1). Modern science suggests we would do well to follow his example.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2008 at 11:39pm

Miswak -  Quick View of  its Benefits:

Advantages of the Miswaak:

1. Miswaak strengthens the gums and prevents tooth decay.
2. Miswaak assists in eliminating toothaches and prevents further increase of decay which has already set in.
3. Miswaak creates a fragrance in the mouth.
4. Miswaak is a cure for illness.
5. Miswaak eliminates bad odors and improves the sense of taste.
6. Miswaak sharpens the memory.
7. Miswaak is a cure for headaches.
8. Miswaak creates lustre (noor) on the face of the one who continually uses it.
9. Miswaak causes the teeth to glow.
10. Miswaak strengthens the eyesight.
11. Miswaak assists in digestion.
12. Miswaak clears the voice.
13. The greatest benefit of using miswaak is gaining the pleasure of Allah.
14. The reward of Salaah (Prayers) is multiplied 70 times if Miswaak was used before it.

Times when usage of Miswaak is Sunnah:
1. For the recitation of the Qur'an.
2. For the recitation of Hadith.
3. When the mouth emits and odor.
4. For the learning or teaching of virtues of Islaam.
5. For making Dhikrullah (Remembrance of Allah, meditation).
6. After entering ones home.
7. Before entering any good gathering.
8. When experiencing pangs of hunger and thirst.
9. After the signs of death are evident.
10. At the time of Sehri.
11. Before meals.
12. Before undertaking a journey.
13. On returning from a journey.
14. Before sleeping.
15. Upon awakening.

Ahadith indicate that the Miswaak was the "Sunnah" or practice of all the Ambiyaa (Prophets of Allah)�Peace be upon them.Hazrat Abu Ayyub (Radhi Allahu 'Anhu) narrates that Prophet Muhammad  (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:  "Four things are amongst the practices of the Ambiyaa �circumcision, application of Itr (perfume), Miswaak and Nikah (marriage)."  [AHMAD AND TIRMIdhi]

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2008 at 11:40pm

Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)  laid great stress on the use of the Miswaak  One of the Sunnats of Wudhu is to use a Miswaak. Wherever a Miswaak is available and is not used, the full beauty and complete Sawaab of the Wudhu is not realised. There are numerous benefits and advantages in using a Miswaak.

In fact, the importance of the Miswaak is such that at one stage our Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)  was under the impression that Allah Ta'aala might decree the use of the Miswaak Fardh (compulsory) upon the Ummah (Islamic Nation).

Abu Umamah (Radhi Allahu anhu) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)  said:

"Use the Miswaak, for verily, it purifies the mouth, and it is a Pleasure for the Lord. Jib-ra-eel (Alayhis-Sallam.) exhorted me so much to use the Miswaak that I feared that its use would be decreed obligatory upon me and upon my Ummah. If I did not fear imposing hardship on my Ummah I would have made its use obligatory upon my people. Verily, I use the Miswaak so much that I fear the front part of my mouth being peeled (by constant and abundant brushing with the Miswaak)." [IBN MAJAH]

Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Was it not for my fear of imposing a difficulty on my Ummah I would have ordered that the Miswaak be used for every Salaat." [BUKHARI]

Ibn Abbas (Radhi Allahu Anhu) narrates the following Hadith:  
"The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: 'I was commanded so much to use the Miswaak that I thought Wahi of the Qurtaan (Revelation) would be revealed, regarding it (i.e. its use)'."

All the above hadiths implicate us the importance of this sunnah.

Although the use of the Miswaak was not made Fardh (compulsory) upon the Ummah, nevertheless its use was Fardh upon our Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). This is borne out by the following Hadith:

Hazrat Syedah Aisha (Radhi Allahu Anha) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam): said: 'These (practices), viz., Miswaak, Witr Salaat and Tahajjud Salaat, are Sunnat for you and Fardh for me'."

Hadhrat Syedna Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu) narrates:
"The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) would use the Miswaak (regularly) prior to sleeping and after rising from sleep." [MUNTAKHAB]

Imam Ghazali (R), in his Ihya-ul-Uloom, has discussed ten Aadaab (Respects or duties) of sleep. The very first of these being purity and the use of the Miswaak (before sleeping).

Allamah Sha'rani (R) states in the Kitaab, Kashful Ghummah, that Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam): advised: "Whenever you retire for sleep, use the Miswaak."

Ibn Umar (R) says that many a time Rasulullah used the Miswaak as much as four times in a single night. Hadhrat Aishah (R) narrates: "Verily, the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) would use the Miswaak before making Wudhu (ablutions) whenever he arose from sleep, whether it be during the night or during the day." [ABU DAWOOD]

Similar Ahadith have been narrated by Imam Ahmad (Radhi Allahu anhu) and Abu Yatlaa (Rahmatullahi alayh).

Imam Ghazali (Radhi Allahu Anhu) has mentioned in his Ihya-ul-Uloom that a person before sleeping at night should keep his water and Miswaak ready and close at hand. As soon as he wakes from sleep during the night he should immediately use the water and the Miswaak, and engage in the remembrance of Allah.

Hadhrat Syedna Ibn Abbas (Radhi Allahu Anhu) states:  "The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam): would use the Miswaak at night time (i.e. Tahajjud time) after every two Rakaats Salaat he (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) performed." [IBN MAJAH]

So, dear friends, do you see how easy it is to gain the pleasure of Allah SWT and also stay in good health?!

layalee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote layalee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 8:19pm
Interesting. Wonder if I can find some in any local islamic stores...
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 11:07pm

As Salamu Alaikum

Masha Allah a good reminder.

Jazakallahu Khairan for sharing

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 10:39pm

As-salaam alaykum warahamatullah

Jazakallahu khayran for sharing.I honestly never forgot this Sunnah,mash'Allah.The closest thing I do close to it is brushing my teeth before every 'Subhi' prayer.In my Home country we use our local'chewing stick' as we call it.And mash'Allah,my fellow brethren there use it prior every Salah.I was also encouraged greatly while in College because we observe congregational Salah up until Maghrib.

The question I asked then was 'if using our local Chewing stick or the toothbrush' earns one the same reward as doing the Sunnah of Rasulullah(s.a.w) by using the Miswaak.I wasn't given a concrete 'Ruling'&would like to ask if you know about that.

Mash'Allah,I'd gladly accept it from any Muhajjirun,unfortunately we find that people'd rather buy 'clothes&jewelleries' than any other thing from hajj.Sorry if am drifting apart frm the discuss here.I think I'd mash'Allah ask anyone who goes for Hajj to personally bring me Miswaak,next time.

Very good reminder!

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2008 at 2:18am

As Salamu Alaikum

Sister Lovesakeenah, maybe the "chewing stick" used in your country is the same as "Miswak".

Miswak is sometimes referred to as Siwak or the branch/roots (not sure which) of the Arak tree.

They are all the same

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 8:24am

As-salaam alaykum

Jazakallahu khayran sis.Alwardah.PErhaps,you're right.It's part of a'tree',& they come in different tastes&different trees.Most of which are very medicinal-for toothache,vomitting or irritation,some for good breathe&some are used for 'worms expelling'.

It's quite similar with the'Siwak' in some ways,mash'Allah!!!

You might just be right!!!

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic