IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslims who do not speak Arabic.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims who do not speak Arabic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anatolian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims who do not speak Arabic.
    Posted: 07 January 2008 at 2:38am
A question to you who have converted to Islam or were born of it yet don't
speak Arabic.

Does it mean anything to you when you pray in Arabic yet don't know what
you are saying? I've always been curious about this.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 3:32am
I'm sure the people will answer soon, but I now for me that if I was going to pray in another language, I would sure find out what the translations first before praying. Don't want to be praying for something bad/negative/evil now 

If you know what the pray means then it should mean some thing.

This goes for english to, know what the prayer means instead of just saying the words, Prayer needs intention and attention.
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 4:08am

Anatolian,

In answer to your question. I know what I am saying in Arabic regarding the prayer, as I learnt it in English first. There was no way I could be happy about praying if I didnt understand it in my own language first.

When I read the Quran I use an English translation.

Of course I cant answer for born muslims whose natural tongue is not Arabic.

Previously, as a Christian, all prayers came from the heart, and were not written down.  As Angela said :- know what the prayer means instead of just saying the words, Prayer needs intention and attention.

The same applies again for dua's, an individual muslims prayer

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 4:18am
martha.......its Angel 
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
layalee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote layalee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 8:03am

I do not know Arabic. I will learn it though, Insha'Allah!

I know what I am saying when I perform my Salat in Arabic. When I was in the learning phrase of memorizing Salat, I would write down one sentence In arabic. Then next to it I would write it in English. I think it is very important that we know what the meanings are, before we utter anything in Arabic, or any language for that matter. How could it be from the heart if we do not know what it mean?!

When I first started performing salat. I would first say it arabic then I would perforn the prayer over again in English. I continued to do that until I knew all the meanings of rakats I was performing.

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 9:16am
I learned in English and then in Arabic.. and I keep repeating in Eglish too, or my mind can wander too easily.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 10:28am

The prayer special parts are compulsory to be recited in Arabic. But in Sajadah or otherwise, at any time, the prayer can be in own language (after the fixed Arabic words), like beseeching Allah for something. It can be done in own language, Urdu, English, Hindi etc.

During Sajadah (prostration) or Rukuh Quranic verses should not be recited.

Whether any one understands the Arabic words or not, there is no danger because the words are remembered by heart and they do not contain anything bad. The same words are used all over the world for centuries. The meaning can be understood slowly.

Edited by minuteman
masalama View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masalama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2008 at 10:18am

Asalamu Aleikum .

i,m a sister from Denmark, been a convert for many years, and do not speak or read arabic, i do know what i,m saying in my prayers in arabic, else my intentions in my eyes would be fake or a show of, it is hard to learn, can be done easly though, when i think of the sister who taught us to pray and the words and the meaning, i know what the prayers are in english and danish. masalama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic