IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Our Destiny from Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our Destiny from Allah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our Destiny from Allah
    Posted: 09 June 2005 at 12:38pm

Assalamu alaikum,

I remember reading somewhere that Allah determines some things when He breathes our soul into us in our mother's womb.  I can't remember exactly how it goes, but I think where we live and who we will marry and when we die might be some of them.

I have looked and can not find this information.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 1:00pm

Es_Selam'un Aleykum Sister Ummziba,please make an search on the meanings of these ayats...may be brother Abuaisha will help u about...wa salaam...

YUSUFALI: He Who has made everything which He has created most good: He began the creation of man with (nothing more than) clay, 

YUSUFALI: And made his progeny from a quintessence of the nature of a fluid despised:

YUSUFALI: But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give!

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 3:21pm
Exceptionally beautiful passage.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 4:06pm

Peace, DavidC.:

Yes, it is an exceptionally beautiful passage, David!  I like Asad's interpretation of ayah 9 even better (for understanding the meaning):

32:9 - and then He forms him in accordance with what he is meant to be, and breathes into him His spirit...

In accordance with what he is meant to be... this speaks to the destiny I was questioning about.

Assalamu alaikum, Brother Suleyman:

Thanks for trying to help.  I do understand these ayat (as much as I am capable of at this moment in time), I understand about the gifts Allah gives us (hearing, sight, etc.).  I understand the literal and other meaning - hearing spiritual guidance, seeing Allah's creations, and so on.

I have gone to tafsir sites and read what they had to say.  But I can't seem to find the thing I remember reading - perhaps it was in ahadith?  Perhaps I only dreamed it?    I don't know, I just remember it was about some things in our life being determined by Allah before we are even born (like our moment of death).

Maybe someone might come across this and know what I can only sort of remember!!!!

Peace, ummziba.

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 7:50pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahamtullah wa barkatuhu,

Dear UmmZiba,

it is reported in hadith Bukhari, and also in Imam Nawawi's Riyad-us-Salihin, that an angel comes down after 120 days of the formation of foetus, and writes for the soul how much it will live, how much will be its livlihood, and whether it will be blessed or wretched in religion.

I dont remmeber the actual words, but the hadith sayss something like, it will be decided whether it will go to heaven or hell, till a span of an arms length remains between him and heven/hell, which he covers, thru his own deeds (ie thru the choices he makes thru his will).

I hope it helps.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen 

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 7:53pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahamtullah wa barkatuhu,

btw, it is said that marriages are made in heaven. It is true that all that happens on earth is by the permission of Allah, but I have not come across specific hadith like above which lists the said three things, for other issues.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2005 at 12:02am

Bismillah

Assalamu'alaikum!

Abdullah (b. Mas'ud) reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) who is the most truthful (of the human beings) and his being truthful (is a fact) said: Verily your creation is on this wise. The constituents of one of you are collected for forty days in his mother's womb in the form of blood, after which it becomes a clot of blood in another period of forty days. Then it becomes a lump of flesh and forty days later Allah sends His angel to it with instructions concerning four things, so the angel writes down his livelihood, his death, his deeds, his fortune and misfortune. By Him, besides Whom there is no god, that one amongst you acts like the people deserving Paradise until between him and Paradise there remains but the distance of a cubit, when suddenly the writing of destiny overcomes him and he begins to act like the denizens of Hell and thus enters Hell, and another one acts in the way of the denizens of Hell, until there remains between him and Hell a distance of a cubit that the writing of destiny overcomes him and then he begins to act like the people of Paradise and enters Paradise. Sahih Muslim Book 033, Number 6390

Hudhaifa b. Usaid reported directly from Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) that lie said: When the drop of (semen) remains in the womb for forty or fifty (days) or forty nights, the angel comes and says: My Lord, will he be good or evil? And both these things would be written. Then the angel says: My Lord, would he be male or female? And both these things are written. And his deeds and actions, his death, his livelihood; these are also recorded. Then his document of destiny is rolled and there is no, addition to and subtraction from it. Sahih Muslim Book 033, Number 6392

You may also want to read more on the subject at the following link, insha Allah.

Ma'a Salaam.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/muslim /033.smt.html

MOCKBA
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2005 at 3:56am

Assalamu alaikum,

Thank you so very much Sister Nausheen and Brother Mockba!  I am so glad I did read this somewhere and didn't just think I did!  It is always good to find the knowledge at its source, rather than diluted or changed through passing from person to person. 

This is what I suspect about the 'where you will live, who you will marry..." part - like the telephone game, the message gets distorted through many tellings.  It is hard to find much ahadith on the net and I have no books of it, though my friend lent me some of hers to read a few years ago (most of that has faded along with the rest of my memory).

And then there is the problem of knowing if what you read is correct, strong, weak or even authentic!  So much to learn, so little time...  what is that saying?  Oh yes, ignorance is bliss.  Sometimes having amnesia is a blessing - still, I strive.  Thanks again and may Allah shower both of you with blessings for sharing your knowledge.

And thanks for the very informative link, Brother Mockba!

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic