IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Africa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sudan  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sudan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sudan
    Posted: 06 June 2005 at 8:18am

Asalamu Alaikum,

I am an African American. I converted to islam about 2 years ago. During this time my studies have shown me that islam is supposed to be a religion of peace. There is supposed to be no difference as to who is better than another except in ones deeds. So why can anyone explain why the crisis in sudan with ethnic arab muslims killing and raping africans in the southern region. Yes I know that it is a predominately christian and animist area but african muslims have also been murdered. I understand war on political reasons and in self defense but does that justify the raping of african women to make their children lighter. The systematic murder of a peoples (people of the book) and animist because they believe in something different. Is not Allah subhanna wa ta ahla the judge of man and not us. Someone please explain what is going on in this region without referencing to israel or the palestineans. I want a real and honest explanation about the situation in sudan and why the arabs there think that it is okay to murder hundreds of thousands of africans.

Jamal View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2005 at 6:47pm

Asalamu Alaikum,

I must wonder why 24 people have viewed this post but not one has attempted to answer my question. I have not made this post out of some political or racial bias but out of a concern for my own faith. Someone please help me because although I am muslim, I have questioning my position on religion because of my impression that I am starting to believe that arabs do feel superior to blacks regardless to wether or not they are muslim or not. If this is the case then I can no longer remain a muslim although I am not sure as to what I believe will be a better religion because I don't believe their is one at this point. Although there must be one that doesn't propogate one race over another and all men are truly equal. If I am wrong then someone please answer me and tell me what is going on in the arab mind in sudan and how can they commit such atrocities, or I will be forced to renounce islam, on the account I cannot be apart of a reliogion were it members can kill my people simply because they have a darker complexion or they believe something different then I. 

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2005 at 8:16pm

Wa'alaikumu Salaam,

Brother Jamal, you seem to be putting much emphasis on racial differences where it is completely unnecessary. When it comes to race  - Islam is colorblind. In his final sermon the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) has clearly stated:

"...All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over a white - except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood...."

Just because some arabs are ignorant enough to think they are superior to non-arabs, or because there are blacks assuming most non-blacks feeling superior to them, we don't go and denounce the existence of God and the Prophetic teachings by rejecting Islaam.

To better understand the situation in Darfour you have to travel to Darfour and spend some time there. Unfortunately, I am not in the position to answer your question as I have not had a chance to visit the area, yet. Switching channels with a bag of popcorn in hand and "downloading" world updates is not always the best way to gather facts. Although i would also very much appreciate if someone knowledgeable could shed some light on the actual situation there.

The bottomline is that Islam detests any notion of racial, ethnic or any other physical superiority of one over the other. I am Muslim, Alhamdulillah. "My people", my brothers and sisters, are of all complexions, provided that they submit to Allah and follow His Final Messenger - Muhammad (peace be upon him). And if someone feels him/herself superior or inferior on the basis of his physique and tries to fragment Ummah on a color basis - it is because of ignorance of Allah, and that is a major sin.

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2005 at 9:15pm

Jamal, don't dump your religion because of someone else or because you don't understand something straight away. Sometimes I didn't understand maths back at school, but I kept trying and even tually became a maths teacher, because I loved maths so much. Things are often more worth understanding if you have to work at them.

Culture and upbringing and all sorts of influences cause people to do good and bad things. The situation in Sudan is probably extremely complex. I'm guessing people here haven't answered your questions because they don't understand it themselves, so they don't want to give you some bogus answer.

The world needs to do much more about the problems in Sudan. We have Sudanese families here in Australia and some of the stories they tell are terrible. Girls getting raped over there, then being beaten and jailed for adultery, especially if they get pregnant. At age 16, these girls have been attacked and now feel they can never marry or have families because they have been "soiled".

Kim...

Jamal View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 11:28am

I want to thank Allah for brothers and sisters like you (assuming I correctly gender id your names). Nevertheless you are correct and I would have been in grave error to give up my faith because of other people. I still have some issues with the situation in Sudan but I must be wise and not let anyone, politics or any other material thing to come between myself and Allah. Thanks for reminding me of the straight path.

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 12:19am

As Salaam Alaikum brotha Jamal,

I want to tell you that the title "African American" should not be used, specially by you (an AFRICAN).  Any person ,whether in the U.S., Europe, or Africa, is an AFRICAN.  Because that's where we're from.  The only reason we are scattered across the world is because of slavery and the Europeans greed.

This simple lesson comes from Pan Africanism.  I hope you know what that is.  If not, look it up and read some books by El Hajj Malik El Shabazz (Malcolm X), Marcus Garvey, and Kwame Nkrumah.

I hope you remember this short lesson and put it into use.

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 11:24pm

As Salaam Alaikum,

I am not an Arab, still, I don't feel any repulsion towards the Arabs just because of what the Arab militiamen did to the Africans in Darfur. Muslims, in general, don't discriminte on the basis of race/skin color. Some of them do, but they are only exceptions. They are as much a exception amongst the Muslims, as a girl who does not loses her virginity before marriage, is amongst the women in WEstern society. You normally don't notice the all-pervasive air, but whenever there is a little smoke it always catches your attention. Historically, Muslims have always given equal status to those who have converted to Islam. For example, 2 dozen Grand Viziers (that is similar the post of Prime Minister) of the Ottoman empire were Albanians. That is the reason, Muslims in Egypt, Turkey, Persia and India identify themselves more with the Islamic civilisation than with the pre-islamic civilization that existed before the advent of Islam in their countries. I am an Indian, still, I associate myself more with Muslims foreigners than with Indian non-Muslims. Arabs have provided considerable employment to the Indian Muslims while they face discrimination while searching for job in their own country. Also, Arab help was immense in the Tsunami relief of Muslims in South East Asia.

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 11:44pm
Also, I don't think that Muslims who kill other Muslims are a threat to all of the Muslims becuase they don't kill others simply because they (their victims) are Muslims (and that is unlike the reason as to why American, Israelis, Russians, Filipinos etc. kill Muslims).
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic