IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saudi Girl sentenced in own rape  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSaudi Girl sentenced in own rape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 1:11pm

Though this doesn't solve the problem of rape, I have a few precautions I take if I must be out alone.  If it is legal where I am, I often carry a small pocket knife.  I also took some self defense classes so I can protect myself.  It wouldn't save you if you are attacked by seven men, but against one at least you have a chance. 

It is tought over and over again that the women most likely to be attacked are the ones who appear weaker to the attacker.  Most rapists prefer to pick vulnerable women.  There are many websites out there on things women can do to protect themselves from rape.  Also, the vast majority of the rapes in America are conducted by known family members and friends.  This is where being able to defend yourself would help a lot.  I don't know if laws will ever be changed to truly effect change, but I do believe there are ways to protect ourselves.  The more you convince a man he is up for the fight of his life if he attacks you, the less likely you are to become a victim.  This is my suggestion, but of course there are many ways to protect yourself. 

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

I agree, Saladin.

My outrage at this stuff knows no bounds.  There is a case going before the Supreme Court here in the US in the future.  Louisiana has a law on the books that allows for the death penalty for a rapist of a child.  Its finally been handed out and the rapist is fighting it. 

I pray that the Supreme Court upholds this sentence and it encourages other states to enact this law on their books.  Maybe if the rapists and child molesters faced death for their crimes against women and children they would think twice before they commit these crimes.

I think its too easy to blame the victims.  I had a friend who was raped.  The cops treated her poorly and it was never fully investigated because she had been longtime friends with the man and she had gone to his dorm room to visit him.  They didn't believe her that she had said no and that he forced her.  She was made to feel like a harlot and she was a good girl.  She was not someone who did those kind of things.

Question for us as women/society is, how do we protect our daughters from this kind of thing?  Obviously, forced segregation doesn't work?  Neither does feminist rhetoric about empowerment?

Really, I think the focus needs to be on the men, not the women.

Salaamu Alaykum Sista Angela,

I agree with your outrage. I strongly believe the focus needs to be on eradicating the wrong idea that people are no longer pure when they have been raped.  Raped people are shunned in America as well, especially when they are pursuing a case against someone in their community.  And we've heard the stories of people becoming outcasts in Bosnia, Serbia, South American countries, Africa, just all over.

In this story, a young man was raped/sodomized as well by that group of people.  We need to protect ourselves from the evil in this world by continuing to love and respect people who have been attacked and not blaming the victims.  I wholeheartedly agree that this Sister, we need to remember, has suffered too much already.  What was the fate of the young man?  We need to be lobbying Saudi to free and apologize to both of them, and to investigate why the punishment in such a strict, overbearing country, was comparatively light for these rapists?  Were they well-connected guys maybe?

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 3:22am
I agree, Saladin.

My outrage at this stuff knows no bounds.  There is a case going before the Supreme Court here in the US in the future.  Louisiana has a law on the books that allows for the death penalty for a rapist of a child.  Its finally been handed out and the rapist is fighting it. 

I pray that the Supreme Court upholds this sentence and it encourages other states to enact this law on their books.  Maybe if the rapists and child molesters faced death for their crimes against women and children they would think twice before they commit these crimes.

I think its too easy to blame the victims.  I had a friend who was raped.  The cops treated her poorly and it was never fully investigated because she had been longtime friends with the man and she had gone to his dorm room to visit him.  They didn't believe her that she had said no and that he forced her.  She was made to feel like a harlot and she was a good girl.  She was not someone who did those kind of things.

Question for us as women/society is, how do we protect our daughters from this kind of thing?  Obviously, forced segregation doesn't work?  Neither does feminist rhetoric about empowerment?

Really, I think the focus needs to be on the men, not the women.
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 1:08am

I have come across many incidents like this across the muslim world,where victims are further victimised.I am not an expert in shariah but i wonder if the girl here hasn't suffered enough[or more] for her mistake.I mean rape; is the most traumatic experience a girl could go through.Its the same for boys too.I also wonder why the rapists weren't stoned to death.Is this the judgement Prophet Muhammad[pbuh] would have handed out for this case?

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Cassandra View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 6:24am

Hillary is safe enough (so far); it's the Saudi hosts of this Forum I worry about!!!

Salaams to you too.....

Cassi

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 5:00am
Originally posted by Cassandra Cassandra wrote:

It seems to me that this thread has been dealing more with the outrage we all should feel when someone is violated (female or male) and less to do with this specific case (and by implication any other which would follow this precedent, and of course, those which have come before).

The woman was gang raped for breaking a law which seems to most of us (I sincerely hope) archaic and discriminatory.  That we know.

She made a very foolish mistake, and is paying for it out of all proportion to the deed.

But it is the sentence itself which is the topic we should be addressing, not only because she was the victim, but also because when she tried to establish her rights as a human female, her sentence was increased even more!  Not surprisingly, most of the world will condemn this.

But, we are not finished yet...her lawyer, who, clearly taking his responsibilities as a first line of defence, was not only chastised severely, but has had his livelihood taken away from him.

What possible sense can any of us make about this?

And while I am about it: Today, on the news, I see that there has been "outrage" in the US.  Hillary Clinton is quoted as saying she will make human rights a priority "when" she becomes President.  Hillary, get involved NOW, and stop using this poor woman�s tragedy and the very shame we feel - as human beings when reading of the terrible injustices perpetrated in a country populated with too many hypocritical men - as an electioneeering ploy.

No doubt the last paragraph will get deleted.  But do comment, please.

Salaams,

Why would the paragraph about Hilary get deleted?  I don't care what Hilary says anyway.  She's just another paid politician.

I would like to hear what the Saudis are saying to each other in their living rooms about this.  I imagine many moms and dads think that their daughters and sons would never be caught out breaking the law, but maybe a few realize that their daughters and sons are vulnerable, and would like to make changes, but they don't have the power to do so.  How could we help them?  I have no idea.  Prayers for sure.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Cassandra View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 3:17am

It seems to me that this thread has been dealing more with the outrage we all should feel when someone is violated (female or male) and less to do with this specific case (and by implication any other which would follow this precedent, and of course, those which have come before).

The woman was gang raped for breaking a law which seems to most of us (I sincerely hope) archaic and discriminatory.  That we know.

She made a very foolish mistake, and is paying for it out of all proportion to the deed.

But it is the sentence itself which is the topic we should be addressing, not only because she was the victim, but also because when she tried to establish her rights as a human female, her sentence was increased even more!  Not surprisingly, most of the world will condemn this.

But, we are not finished yet...her lawyer, who, clearly taking his responsibilities as a first line of defence, was not only chastised severely, but has had his livelihood taken away from him.

What possible sense can any of us make about this?

And while I am about it: Today, on the news, I see that there has been "outrage" in the US.  Hillary Clinton is quoted as saying she will make human rights a priority "when" she becomes President.  Hillary, get involved NOW, and stop using this poor woman�s tragedy and the very shame we feel - as human beings when reading of the terrible injustices perpetrated in a country populated with too many hypocritical men - as an electioneeering ploy.

No doubt the last paragraph will get deleted.  But do comment, please.

Salams_wife View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 6:21pm

As far as I am concerned, there is never an excuse to rape a woman.  It does not matter if she walked down the street with hardly any clothing on.  It never gives any man the right to force himself on any woman.  If he actually believes he can, then he should be put into a mental institution and have his sanity checked.  I will not even get started on how I feel about using young boys in the wrong way.  That is just sick.

Even if many countries, even the United States, fail the punish rapists properly.  I know rapists still have to face their misdeads on the day of judgement.  Every good muslim man knows the only person he should be with is his wife.  No other person is allowed for him, so there is never an excuse for relations outside the marriage.  Whether the woman, man or child consents or not. 

Edited by Salams_wife
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic