IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sunni Shiite Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunni Shiite Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamiala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunni Shiite Islam
    Posted: 12 March 2005 at 9:08am

Salam brothers and sisters.

i have recently been doing some research regaarding sects in Islam in particular the Sunni and the Shiite. when doing my research i have managed to gather alot of literature with regard to Shiite beliefs. i have not fully identified what the Sunni's believe in yet. if anybody could guide me as to any books or internet websites that may be of use please let me know.

Thank you

Any help will be much appreciated

Allah Hafiz

Mustafaa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustafaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2005 at 4:29am

Okay, I now suggest you some references but please take the given reservations into consideration.

Well, most Islamic websites such as IslamiCity itself (www.islamicity.com) represent the Sunni understanding of Islam. www.islamonline.net can also be recommended...

www.sunnipath.com Note that this website is produced by Sufis. Sufis are mostly Sunni Muslims but many Muslims do not agree with some of their doctrines which are mostly in secondary issues not related to the main principles of Islam.

What is also annoying about them is that they want to get a monopoly on the Sunni understanding of Islam. So many Muslims like myself are Sunnis but have no relationship with many things that the Sufis believe in or accept.

On the other hand, some other Sunni websites are maintained by people called Salafis and Wahhabis. Wahhabis and Salafis are in a great quarrel especially with the Sufis, and like Sufis they also want to get a monopoly on the Sunni understanding of Islam.

Finally, there are people like me who are annoyed by all these groups and believe merely in the Qur'an and the authentic tradition emanating from the Messenger of Allah to our day.

There is no deity but Allah. Muhammad is the (last) Messenger of Allah.
Mustafaa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustafaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2005 at 4:30am
By the way, you sound like a Muslim and if so, you already know the things that I have tried to explain here. So why haven't you been able to gather enough information about Sunnis?
Mustafaa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustafaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2005 at 4:33am
I think we can reply to you only if we know specifically what kind of info are you searching.
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2005 at 4:45am

Es_Selam'un Aleykum.

Brother,i apologize;but your words on Sufis will break some of our friend's heart in the board.Please don't mix the Turkish Sufis with the other Sufis in the world,this example is also valid for Naqshibandiis(i could not write)....our country's sects are so absurd that they may cause hallucinations on the others then we will miss wonderful muslims friends in the wrold as we have also in this board...Wa Salaam....

Mustafaa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustafaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2005 at 5:01am

I have read something from Sunnipath.com that has made me think they are not very different from the Sufis in Turkey.

Here's an example of why I don't like their ways, something I wrote somewhere else:

I wouldn't take fiqh education from Sunnipath. I once read a reply at their website that made me disagree with their understanding of fiqh.

The scholars were asked whether we can attend the lectures of women teachers at school or college. Of course, we have to look at them when we attend their classes. The answer was like "No, it's in no way permissible for a Muslim man to look at a non-mahram woman. Plain and simple." What? Do they want all of us young Muslim men to stop getting education and become hermits in mountain tops? Perhaps we must appeal to the administrations of our colleges for segregation of genders and for exclusively male teachers? That would be our petition to be kicked out of college (as extremists) and then become hermits!

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2005 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Mustafaa Mustafaa wrote:

I have read something from Sunnipath.com that has made me think they are not very different from the Sufis in Turkey.

Here's an example of why I don't like their ways, something I wrote somewhere else:

I wouldn't take fiqh education from Sunnipath. I once read a reply at their website that made me disagree with their understanding of fiqh.

The scholars were asked whether we can attend the lectures of women teachers at school or college. Of course, we have to look at them when we attend their classes. The answer was like "No, it's in no way permissible for a Muslim man to look at a non-mahram woman. Plain and simple." What? Do they want all of us young Muslim men to stop getting education and become hermits in mountain tops? Perhaps we must appeal to the administrations of our colleges for segregation of genders and for exclusively male teachers? That would be our petition to be kicked out of college (as extremists) and then become hermits!

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

Brother Mustafa,

First of all, i couldn't find the chance of looking at to sunnipath.com;because it is under the construction;but i know this site from the old board knowing some quotations which Sister Nausheen conducted.

Brother,there is an interesting point can be easily realized from the topic of the site that it calls itself Sunni,this should be considered;but our issue is not this whether it is Sunni or Sufi,let's put our steps on the main issue which we need to discuss...

Brother,i agree with the fatwa that you have given us as an example for trying to proving that Sufism is outside of Islam...

If we look at from the science of shariat understanding the progress of giving the fatwas there are too important points shapes the fatwas.The first one is the process of Qur'an which we know from the life of the last prophet in his/it's 23 years how the happenings matured and Allah commanded this process with caring the situations,by the abilities,by the order of the responsibilities.The second important issue is the source of the fatwas shaped from the questioner's situations;the situations that where he stands inside the process of the Qur'an;in which period of the holy Qur'an he lives in,which steps he passed or where his steps on or in which points he should take the support for completing the next steps as the last prophet showed us while practicing islam...

If we look from these two conjectures,we can easily understand the fatwa seen in sunnipath.com

If we look from the variations i have tried to tell above;we can see these examples.First,the questioner is living inside of an serious jamaat that the aleem gives him the fatwa about the things should be the best;because he has conjectures,abilities,supporters,from that point i agree with him that it is impermissible for having a education from an opposite gender...

But,if we change the conjectures with adding some scenarios thinking that this person is not living an jamaat or in an real islamic country and depending(with serious signs) on a education given from the associations who does not practice Islam or at least you have said that they call Muslims as extremists;then the fatwa should be in different way caring the situation inside the process of the holy Qur'an giving an permission for taking an education,lessons from the opposite genders;always caring that it should be in public giving no permission to astray...as you know some other disciplines gave fatwas in an public area taking education from an opposite gender in the safe conditions...

The situations of the persons and their positions inside the process of the holy Qur'an is so important.If we look at the issues without caring these situation at least not caring where the fatwa given;who has given and who to given;then we can't understand the fatwas then the chaos will appear in the life of the Muslims as now we see in the sects....

You can easily realize this statement from the hadiths traveling in the mouths;some persons use hadiths without caring where the last prophet said;in which conditions said or who to said and why to said also not caring what He said before;we see the different views coming from that chaos...I believe that sects are also appeared in this way.Someone said something from looking at the situation seen in the process of the Qur'an then someone used the same words for a situation has no connection with Qur'an and the true words said in the real conjecture then two different opinions occurred;because;the followers had chosen the first or the second they had no personal insight;because they were too lazy for searching the true answer from the holy Qur'an with caring their own situations.Qur'an gives it's medicine to hearts;but they did not because they were not carrying the heritage,they were eating!!! while the Qur'an was an universal book always helps to the persons....

If we drink our waters from the first source caring the rules of the science of shariat then no problem will left at least no time will left for the useless secondary issues causes separations;because the first source will bring the barakah and insight for the other secondary issue solving them easily....

Our biases takes so much place for these kind of misunderstandings;i still remember a young boy whom i told about Qur'an that he was an shia;i was knowing him as an boy who saw the truth and chosen  shiism;first i did not love him then learnt that he has no knowledge on Qur'an that he was unaware of the judgment day,it was a great shock to me..brother,so many of us are unaware from the holy Qur'an,don't think that they intentionally walk on their ways(i am not talking about Sufis')

I don't think that there are sects in Muslims world;of course valid;but they are the sects for the third level issues;if we love each other with caring the science of shariat then no problem will left....

With coming to the hermits;if my practice on this religion cause on me to being an hermit,i run to there;to the top of the mountains....

When i have first meet with Islam,my parents kicked me from the society because it was a big shame from them seeing their parent walking with the people,praying,talking with the poors then i had became so lonely that i had only one friend which is an street dog(still lives) and found my self on the top of a mountain as an hermit for understanding the things happens under my first teacher;the ancient sycamore which i will show you below....i lived there three summers being as an hermit learning so many things from the jungle,sycamore,wildlife...I wish Allah will help all of us for understanding this religion,we really need help;i need too much...Amin...

Edited by Suleyman
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2005 at 11:27am

The Ancient Sycamore(350 years old)

Edited by Suleyman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic